Author Topic: Rome II General Info Thread  (Read 125135 times)

Offline Weren

• Duke
  • Renown: 588
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: irc://Weren
Re: Rome II General Info Thread
« Reply #765 on: August 15, 2013, 03:19:33 pm »
I'm moving to the Netherlands on the 1st of September, but God dammit i will find time to play Rome 2.

I myself requested a week off from job starting from the release date.  :P
Free speech is about to become terrorism.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #766 on: August 15, 2013, 03:46:59 pm »
I reckon it's also because it would have taken a lot of work to adapt the Shogun 2 multiplayer formula to the various Rome 2 rosters that are all different from one another.

Well yeah, it's probably one of the main reasons why they decided to make the seperate Arena game, as they know that a lot of players did enjoy the rpg aspect, which would have been too much work for just the rome 2 release. Im looking forward to playing both, i have a feeling i wont be playing anything else when rome 2 is released lol.

Offline Hunter_the_Honourable

• Count
  • Renown: 229
  • Infamy: 178
  • Killing fairy riders for the good of cRPG.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Anti-fairy riders.
« Reply #767 on: August 15, 2013, 09:00:38 pm »
+2
How can you trust People?
They are Humans
I never trust Humans.

Offline Warcat

• Earl
  • Renown: 396
  • Infamy: 40
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Warcat_ Village_Elder Merchant_of_Tulga Tavern_Keeper Guild_Master Ramun_The_Slave_Trader
« Reply #768 on: August 15, 2013, 09:47:09 pm »
+1
Pretty cool 8-) Certainly different from all previous total war naval combat.
In memory of Fallen_Warcat_, member of Fallen Brigade, ruler of Zagush
Tavern_Keeper #1 NA shielder
Strategus City Improvement Project

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: August 15, 2013, 10:55:16 pm »
+1
Looks fucking awesome to play honestly, something I always missed dearly in the original Rome, especially because it was quite a big thing in the Punic wars and such. Seems they implemented it exactly as I imagined it. Fire arrows look good, a lot better than the javelins earlier. Animations for boarding are quite impressive.

What I do really miss is a show of impact when a ship rams another ship, apart from the rams ending in complete destruction of one ship, there is barely any visible impact. The ship doesn't even rock, no splash, no cracking noises, no damage to the hull and flying pieces of wood, no rams getting stuck inside the ship. No sinking from the hole caused by the ram if they manage to pull it back out there. It is so blatantly missing for me when I watch this video that it really doesn't make sense to me that they didn't implement any of that.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: August 15, 2013, 11:11:00 pm »
Maybe it will be implemented. Anyhow, still looks utterly amazing and exactly what i expected of naval combat :D

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: August 15, 2013, 11:11:43 pm »
Finally you can board one ship with multiple ships of your own. Would have been a travesty if they hadn't added that.

What I do really miss is a show of impact when a ship rams another ship, apart from the rams ending in complete destruction of one ship, there is barely any visible impact. The ship doesn't even rock, no splash, no cracking noises, no damage to the hull and flying pieces of wood, no rams getting stuck inside the ship. No sinking from the hole caused by the ram if they manage to pull it back out there. It is so blatantly missing for me when I watch this video that it really doesn't make sense to me that they didn't implement any of that.

Yes, that immediately caught my eye as well. Maybe they have some kind of damage mechanic that just wasn't properly shown in that video, but indeed it will be very strange if it just comes down to either nothing much happening or the other ship being totally shattered. There should definitely be a middle ground where a ship sufficiently damaged by ramming will simply begin to take on water and sink if not promptly repaired.
Don't.

Offline Tovi

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 251
    • View Profile
  • Faction: OdE
  • Game nicks: KrisTovi
« Reply #772 on: August 15, 2013, 11:56:45 pm »
Awesome ! But I'd need to buy another PC  :?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Hunter_the_Honourable

• Count
  • Renown: 229
  • Infamy: 178
  • Killing fairy riders for the good of cRPG.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Anti-fairy riders.
« Reply #773 on: August 16, 2013, 12:07:33 am »
Looks fucking awesome to play honestly, something I always missed dearly in the original Rome, especially because it was quite a big thing in the Punic wars and such. Seems they implemented it exactly as I imagined it. Fire arrows look good, a lot better than the javelins earlier. Animations for boarding are quite impressive.

If they don't have any middle ground then I bet there will be a mod for it.  :mrgreen:
How can you trust People?
They are Humans
I never trust Humans.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: August 16, 2013, 03:11:50 am »
Except for ramming ships, boarding locks the boarded ship at any angle you come from : good for gameplay (boarding in napoleon/empire was glitchy and sometimes very long while you took canons to the face) but very unrealistic. Just the movement of the sea would prompt the two ships apart and you woulnt be able to jump on the deck except if your ship's hull/appendages got stuck into the other ship's.

Need some grappling hooks/ropes thrown and hull damages to both ships with a slight impact animation and it will be good. If it stays that way and boarding is an important part of naval battle, naval battles in Rome 2 are going to be less good than the napoleon/empire ones.

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: August 16, 2013, 03:35:23 am »
I dont like the new unit cards. Pictures would be more detailed...

Offline Warcat

• Earl
  • Renown: 396
  • Infamy: 40
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Warcat_ Village_Elder Merchant_of_Tulga Tavern_Keeper Guild_Master Ramun_The_Slave_Trader
« Reply #776 on: August 16, 2013, 12:46:47 pm »

Agreed. but perhaps that's just a bad limitation of the engine they use, because the same could be said for all of the games going back to Empire.
In memory of Fallen_Warcat_, member of Fallen Brigade, ruler of Zagush
Tavern_Keeper #1 NA shielder
Strategus City Improvement Project

Offline ThePoopy

• Earl
  • Renown: 411
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • .l..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: PolePoop
« Reply #777 on: August 16, 2013, 05:35:51 pm »

Offline Lizard_man

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 153
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Lizard_man, Jinmenju
« Reply #778 on: August 16, 2013, 05:50:51 pm »
Can't say I enjoyed the naval battles in Empire, but this actually looks like fun...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwWrDtkJdTs

Looks great, looking forward to it... :P
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 05:57:03 pm by Lizard_man »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: August 16, 2013, 05:57:19 pm »
+1
Agreed. but perhaps that's just a bad limitation of the engine they use, because the same could be said for all of the games going back to Empire.
If you can make a ball of fire roll down a hill you can probably make a ship rock when it gets hit by another.