Author Topic: Rome II General Info Thread  (Read 123999 times)

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
Re: Rome II General Info Thread
« Reply #1545 on: October 07, 2015, 08:12:13 am »
Is Rome 2 even worth getting? I've seen it so many times on sale, it was even in the humble pack. Did they fix the game by now?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline gallonigher

• Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 420
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Gallonigher
« Reply #1546 on: October 07, 2015, 08:24:56 am »
It's a lot better now.  With the right assortment of mods, it's damn near perfect.  I recommend Divide et Impera (a historical overhaul mod)

Offline ecorcheur_brokar

• Earl
  • Renown: 482
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
  • The guy who kill with one blow
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Brokar/SuisseMonCervela/CheeseInMyPants
« Reply #1547 on: October 07, 2015, 02:47:13 pm »
Is Rome 2 even worth getting? I've seen it so many times on sale, it was even in the humble pack. Did they fix the game by now?
Not in my opinion. No improvement compared to shogun2, on the opposite a lot of good thing present in shogun have disapeared (clan gestion, family tree). The interior politic which has replaced clan gestion is boring. The variety of units is the only plus, but now you have to pay for the bs DLC wich are just copy-paste of mod (that have been locked when DLC where realesed).

As AI is completly reatrded (even more than in the rest of the serie imo, incredible right?!?), the only fun I could have was by playing a multi-campaign with butan otherwise solo campaign is boring.

So I think you should either buy shogun2 or attila (which I heard is way better) but Rome 2 is shit.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 02:51:13 pm by ecorcheur_brokar »
"With great bardiche comes great responsability"
"The wolf doesn't care how many sheeps may be"

Offline gallonigher

• Game Admin (trial)
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: October 07, 2015, 05:49:54 pm »
I'm curious, have you invested a lot of time in this game recently?  The game had a horrible launch but in the 2 years since its release they have made noticeable improvements, especially to the AI.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: October 07, 2015, 05:53:56 pm »
I've been playing it recently. Gotta say, Shogun 2 is still better in almost every way but diversity and setting. AI is not super bad, although there are many situations, where it bugs up. Balance and feel is way off, though, Total War should never have gone with having all units have hitpoints. Ugh.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: October 08, 2015, 05:59:06 am »
I just find Rome 2 so very boring. Attila is much more interesting.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline gallonigher

• Game Admin (trial)
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: October 08, 2015, 07:28:38 am »
I'm going to be playing Attila for the first time very soon, I just plan on upgrading my rig before I do.  First time around, I was thinking of playing as either the Danes or the Langobards.

BTW are there any must-have mods out yet?  I would like a mod that changes all unit colors to something less garish (CA loves bright colors that don't fit the locale nor time period)

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
« Reply #1552 on: October 08, 2015, 09:13:30 am »

But Attila has so many fucking annoying things!

Hunnic doomstacks, techs that remove the ability to build certain buildings, Roman soldiers being inherently worse than all their others unless in Testudo. Which if they get hit from a certain angle will cause them to reform facing the wrong way. Enemy armies have massive, massive armies out of nothing constantly outnumbering you but the enemy AI is so bad you can beat them with a shitty 5 unit garrison. The city destruction mechanic which is both awesome and awful. If you have 3 onagers you can win sieges by just setting fire to building sections and watching the enemy stats fall off a cliff. And then there's the machinegun death towers which can take out entire enemy units by themselves, or cause your own troops to rout because they get shot in the back by them. Or when they're actually useful all it takes is 1 soldier within the circle of control to destroy the tower even if you have 200 men in-between the dude and the tower. Then there's the diplomacy. Oh no my subjugated ally who has been cool with me for 200 turns has a leader that doesn't like my faction, suddenly him and all my other 12 allies declare war on my in the same turn. It gets to a point where corruption means you lose money by taking provinces so instead you subjugate to get cash out of it then they will randomly declare war on you. Get to 30- odd provinces don't bother capturing cities or making allies just destroy everything.

Rome has it's problems and is probably a worse game, but it's more fun.

Offline gallonigher

• Game Admin (trial)
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: October 08, 2015, 07:26:52 pm »
My biggest complaint with the Total War series in general is that the game becomes too easy after a certain point.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 11:34:19 pm by gallonigher »

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #1554 on: October 08, 2015, 09:22:41 pm »
Yup, only fun part of TW games is the start and building up to a point. Once you can win by pure inertia, not even having to bother to manually fight battles, the game is pretty much over. You can set yourself house rules, I did a R2 game where I wouldn't allow myself more than a certain number of provinces and armies and would build retarded alliances to have completely ahistorical results, like Babylonia restoring an empire on the fertile crescent, Numidians becoming the uncontested power in north Africa, Celtiberians conquering most of Gaul and northern Italy, Epirus conquering mainland Greece and Magna Graecia, stuff like that.
Didn't work very well on previous TW games because diplomacy was useless, but alliances have a tendency to hold pretty well in R2 at least. The hard part was not being able to sell or give away provinces, have to hand-hold AI ally armies and obliterate any sort of resistance so they can move in for the capture.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: October 08, 2015, 10:05:14 pm »
+3
I always play with house rules. I usually try to emulate historical conquest, diplomacy, army composition and tactics, which is a mini game in itself.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 10:15:01 pm by Angantyr »

Offline gallonigher

• Game Admin (trial)
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: October 08, 2015, 11:37:03 pm »
+2
It really sucks that they removed the feature to give or ask for a certain city or providence.   

Offline ecorcheur_brokar

• Earl
  • Renown: 482
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
  • The guy who kill with one blow
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Brokar/SuisseMonCervela/CheeseInMyPants
« Reply #1557 on: October 09, 2015, 04:00:02 pm »
I'm curious, have you invested a lot of time in this game recently?  The game had a horrible launch but in the 2 years since its release they have made noticeable improvements, especially to the AI.
I stopped playing when attila was realesed cauz butan abandonned me  :cry:

In open field, AI was okish, but siege is shit and buggy 100% of the time.

Enemy armies have massive, massive armies out of nothing constantly outnumbering you but the enemy AI is so bad you can beat them with a shitty 5 unit garrison
Yop same than for rome, very annoying.

Shogun was really good even when you had your big empire, because other clan putting aside their grief to be allied against you was making some sense (I added a mod where your ally from a long date doesn't betray you when japan is divided) and was making it hard for you to win even on this late stage.
"With great bardiche comes great responsability"
"The wolf doesn't care how many sheeps may be"

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
« Reply #1558 on: October 09, 2015, 06:02:24 pm »
When I last played shogun none of my allies left me at realm divide cos we had such high buddy ratings.

Offline Grytviken

• Practicing Scientologist
  • Duke
  • Renown: 504
  • Infamy: 101
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Salad_Fork Raven_Grytviken
« Reply #1559 on: November 06, 2015, 08:47:25 pm »
Who wants to 1v1 me in multiplayer, I got it running on my potato, i'm already kicking butt and taking names