Author Topic: Upkeeping  (Read 2012 times)

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
Upkeeping
« on: January 05, 2011, 06:47:35 pm »
well, i haven't been against the new patch, i like the idea of the upkeep, and the absence of the tincans.

But now i have experienced that i can't even afford the upkeep of my katana with a 2,5k armor!

i have equipment for maybe 13k total, and not being able to afford that, is just crap.

Before it was implented i heard that people should be able to upkeep 20k worth of equipment. That's just not happening.

Offline Ishar

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Mr Shitgrin
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ishar_III
Re: Upkeeping
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 06:54:25 pm »
I have equipment around 15-20k, and collected around 15k gold today.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
"Also, thank you for reporting your own post." Mylet

Offline HeroZero

• Wannabe lawyer
  • Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 07:19:31 pm »
Yeah, cause you always can control if you win or lose.

Come on guys, just cause it's going well for you doesn't mean it's going well for everyone.
Just because I troll doesn't mean I don't care.

Offline Mesmer

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 07:35:38 pm »
Ishar go lose round, have bad luck like me. Then you will see that at the end of your lost round 3 items from your eq was damaged. Let say that repair will cost 5k gold (close to my repair cost). If you have multi x5 you get 250 g per gain. You need 20 gains to get gold for repair. 20 gains on multi x5.

I think it's something wrong

Offline Ishar

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
  • Mr Shitgrin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 09:45:41 pm »
Let's do the math. We already know that repair cost is 20% of the original, so 1/5. If you have 20k worth of gear, then if everything breaks (which is very unlikely), you lose 4k.
I gain 50 per minute, rounds are 7 minutes each. That means 350 gold for every x1 round. I know these numbers don't differ much from yours, but the final result is far less: that means 12 rounds to finance a full repair, not 20. Those were the numbers I know for sure.

Now, other things:
- Your whole set doesn't break in 12 rounds, you have to be extremely unlucky for that, especially considering that:
- No matter how unlucky you are, you won't lose all your rounds
- Expensive items seem to have more 'durability' - they break less often, so mostly you have to pay for the cheaper parts of your gear
- It's very unlikely to stay at multiplier x1 forever. A winning streak of four, and you've got your upkeep problem mostly covered - and that's not something impossible.

Offline Soap

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 12:44:47 am »
Let's do the math. We already know that repair cost is 20% of the original, so 1/5. If you have 20k worth of gear, then if everything breaks (which is very unlikely), you lose 4k.
I gain 50 per minute, rounds are 7 minutes each. That means 350 gold for every x1 round. I know these numbers don't differ much from yours, but the final result is far less: that means 12 rounds to finance a full repair, not 20. Those were the numbers I know for sure.

So I should have a problem with my stuff : I pay 941g to repair a Kettle Helmet which cost 2107g. So the repair cost is near 45% of the original...
Other example : I pay around 70g to repair my Leather Gloves (289g) => ~57% of the original.
BUT, the repair cost for my siege crossbow is good (11477 -> 2295).

If my calculations aren't wrong (math+me=3), there's a little problem somewhere.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 12:54:02 am »
70 of 289 is around 25% (4x7 = 28). I don't know what's wrong with your kettle hat, though.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Ishar

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
  • Mr Shitgrin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 01:57:28 am »
Hm. chadz said that upkeep is 20% of the base cost. It's OK with all my items, didn't bother to calculate the exact percentage, but the values seemed right.
There's definitely something wrong with your kettle helmet. I think you should report it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 01:59:07 am by Ishar »

Offline Tenacity

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 05:32:21 am »
With people complaining with the high cost of upkeep. How about adding a modifier that reduces the chance of an item degrading the more you exceed its difficulty requirement?. This would fit in the with the idea that if you have more than the required skill to use an item the less chance you have of it getting damaged.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 11:29:07 am »
Not a bad idea at all. It still wouldn't change the situation for the loomed transitional armor + flamberge guys, but hey, they are the main target of upkeep, right?
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 12:01:49 pm »
My suggestion would be - as always - adding non-combat skill+ attributes. So players could spend points in charisma and intelligence, which are then the basis for skills like smithing, persuation, leadership, etc. Those skills could offer various boni for lowering upkeep, getting more gold, reducing break chance and so on. With that players could either decide to skill up a pure fighting character that has high combat ability but can't effort high end equip(as it is now) or to sacifice some prowess and invest in the non-combat abilites in order to use better equip. Those new abilites could have also have various effects on strategus, scene objects(catapult/engineering), commander and voice chat menu. More diversity for character development would be a good thing imo.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 12:07:10 pm »
+1
My suggestion would be - as always - adding non-combat skill+ attributes. So players could spend points in charisma and intelligence, which are then the basis for skills like smithing, persuation, leadership, etc. Those skills could offer various boni for lowering upkeep, getting more gold, reducing break chance and so on. With that players could either decide to skill up a pure fighting character that has high combat ability but can't effort high end equip(as it is now) or to sacifice some prowess and invest in the non-combat abilites in order to use better equip. Those new abilites could have also have various effects on strategus, scene objects(catapult/engineering), commander and voice chat menu. More diversity for character development would be a good thing imo.

ALL of this !

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 05:50:29 pm »

Oh! I have been really negative to upkeep system ( and still am ), but the post above is the first Solomon solution. Really, just read it few times. THAT would make the "old school" system possible ( enough to ride plated horse OR have full plate, but have only like 3-6 points in Strengh/Agility respectivly - balancing the gear advantage. Dont forget the lvl cap ), without removing the upkeep/repair system and pissing off players who like it.

+1
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 05:51:56 pm by Armpit_Sweat »
  Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline DoggsofWar

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 10:03:24 am »

Now, other things:
- Your whole set doesn't break in 12 rounds, you have to be extremely unlucky for that, especially considering that:
- No matter how unlucky you are, you won't lose all your rounds
- Expensive items seem to have more 'durability' - they break less often, so mostly you have to pay for the cheaper parts of your gear
- It's very unlikely to stay at multiplier x1 forever. A winning streak of four, and you've got your upkeep problem mostly covered - and that's not something impossible.

Thats just bull, I had all but 2 items needing repaired 3 rounds in a row and we won 2 of those...Upkeep is broken....Fix it

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 10:15:31 am »
You need a cash buffer to cover randomness. I make money on average with 35K worth of gear - sometimes it fluctuates a few thousand down or so, of course, but on average I make money. However you need about the total cost of your gear worth of gold to comfortably amortize randomness in repair and in autobalance.

The upkeep system works great over time. Most people who whine either don't have a cash buffer so randomness screws them over, or want their plated charger + spamberge + blackarmor + snipercrossbow back.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 10:18:28 am by bruce »
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".