• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Towns
« on: May 18, 2012, 03:13:36 pm »
A game that draws from Dwarf Fortress and Majesty.

http://www.townsgame.com

Free demo, 10€ to prepurchase. In alpha. Looks fun.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 03:14:52 pm by Vibe »

Offline Goldor

• Knight
  • Renown: 33
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: America the Vulnerable
  • Game nicks: Goldor
Re: Towns
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 09:29:42 pm »
A game that draws from Dwarf Fortress and Majesty.

http://www.townsgame.com

Free demo, 10€ to prepurchase. In alpha. Looks fun.

It's not a bad little game now that heroes are in and not just suicidal and weak. Takes a bit to get into, need to read some tutorials as some of the requirments aren't obvious, but once you get it down it's decent.

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 10:25:13 am »
This is fun. Still no idea how to get more villagers and I lose some to froggies. Didn't expect that after doing the tutorials. Its still fun and it definitely draws on DF but much more user friendly. More eye candy as well.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 10:35:14 am »
This is fun. Still no idea how to get more villagers and I lose some to froggies. Didn't expect that after doing the tutorials. Its still fun and it definitely draws on DF but much more user friendly. More eye candy as well.

You need to build enough free personal rooms, raise happiness (build decorations and shit) and most important of all, make them NOT do work. That's right, new immigrants only come when they see they can slack off in your town.

Even when I built a ton of personal rooms and decorated the shit out of them, they still didn't come. Until my existing villagers did all I ordered them to do and started slacking, then new immigrants came within a minute.

Offline Taser

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 01:11:52 pm »
You need to build enough free personal rooms, raise happiness (build decorations and shit) and most important of all, make them NOT do work. That's right, new immigrants only come when they see they can slack off in your town.

Even when I built a ton of personal rooms and decorated the shit out of them, they still didn't come. Until my existing villagers did all I ordered them to do and started slacking, then new immigrants came within a minute.

So make some free rooms and make sure people don't do anything.. lazy immigrants. Thanks though. I'll do that.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 01:16:31 pm »
Immigrant appearance is still somewhat random.

Wish there was some easier way to level the terrain, spending 10 minutes clicking to level a place large enough for some building kinda sucks.

Not a bad game, nowhere near the complexity and depth of DF, but at least it is user friendly :)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 01:56:09 pm »
Immigrant appearance is still somewhat random.

Wish there was some easier way to level the terrain, spending 10 minutes clicking to level a place large enough for some building kinda sucks.

Not a bad game, nowhere near the complexity and depth of DF, but at least it is user friendly :)

Yeah, leveling terrain is a big hassle, I just keep recreating the map until I get one that has a big flat field in it :D

Offline [ptx]

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 02:00:12 pm »
Haven't pre-ordered, so done a few 20-day games like a scrub. Don't see how it's possible to start on, say, mixed map, 75% of the map is infested by froggies and stronger monsters, all your settlers die the moment you order them to plant a few trees or something :/

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 02:07:18 pm »
Haven't pre-ordered, so done a few 20-day games like a scrub. Don't see how it's possible to start on, say, mixed map, 75% of the map is infested by froggies and stronger monsters, all your settlers die the moment you order them to plant a few trees or something :/

What I do is, like said in previous post, keep recreating the map until you get one that separates Jungle(froggies area) and your spawn area with a river. Then I look if it has enough flat surface and extra + if it has any surface iron. That's pretty much all I need.

After a few games I managed to get a bunch of heroes in my town and survived a few sieges.  Also, if you ever get to sieges, a nice way to cheat them is to make a moat (completely surround your town by 1 tile water) and 1 bridge access to the "island", so when the siege begins you can just delete the bridge and you will be inaccessible - the mobs will stay and wait till you are accessible again tho, but it gives you time to gear up everybody and prepare defences.

PS heroes are dicks and usually won't help you fight in sieges.

Offline [ptx]

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 02:24:27 pm »
That's in normal maps, i was talking about mixed map type, where you get all the various biotopes in a single map, there is a river, but there are monsters everywhere...

Sieges seem completely random as well, some games i've gotten multiple sieges with lotsa spiders, other games - nothing.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 02:29:29 pm »
That's in normal maps, i was talking about mixed map type, where you get all the various biotopes in a single map, there is a river, but there are monsters everywhere...

Sieges seem completely random as well, some games i've gotten multiple sieges with lotsa spiders, other games - nothing.

Oh yeah, missed that. Haven't played mixed yet... seems too stupid to play since the townies have no brain whatsoever and they just fight anything that is in their path. I heard this will be fixed later however, IIRC.

Offline Taser

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 12:35:48 am »
Oh yeah, missed that. Haven't played mixed yet... seems too stupid to play since the townies have no brain whatsoever and they just fight anything that is in their path. I heard this will be fixed later however, IIRC.

yeah they seem to have a death wish. I guess they hate life.