Author Topic: ArcheAge  (Read 73579 times)

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
Re: ArcheAge
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 02:00:14 pm »
+1
No, the combat is tab target.

ughhhh
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 02:09:52 pm »
+1
ughhhh

I feel you, I'm persisting through it due to other features aka you can be an actual pirate in this game

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 06:52:27 pm »
+1
I feel you, I'm persisting through it due to other features aka you can be an actual pirate in this game

Hmm.

I hope you enjoyed (or still enjoy) the game, but I dont think that it would hook me for too long, because good combat sorta became a requirement for me.

Nonetheless, I wish anyone who tries this loads of fun.
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 10:17:07 am »
+1
First impressions

Enjoying it so far, even though it's tab target/quite generic leveling. It's probably all the sandbox features that keep me motivated. Leveling is pretty fast, so getting to level cap doesn't probably take a long time. It doesn't however feel grindy even though there are kill x/interact with y quests, leveling overall feels very fluid, quests nicely guide you from zone to zone so you don't need to keep running around for longer periods of time, very streamlined.

While the combat is tab target, it increases it's depth by having a lot of combos, which are one spells reaction to another spells effect. For example if I cast a Lightning Strike on an enemy and then throw a Tsunami spell on him, he'll get extra damage from Tsunami because he was "electricified" by the Lightning Strike. Here's a nice view of how many combos there is.

World is beautiful (something azn games excel at actually), I love seeing player made farms occupy the land out in the open.  Housing here is not instanced, so you can see zones where you can place houses all over the world. Even the early level zones have housing areas, although yet to see any player house due to the game just releasing. I took 3 screens of the world, mind you that screenshot quality is pretty bad and I only figured out how to disable interface before the last screen :D

(click to show/hide)

I was pleasantly surprised that Archeage didn't go the usual asian way of doing armors/weapons/character models AKA making weapons oversized and and armor bulky and female armor... severly lacking. Instead they picked a more western approach of non-ridiculousness. It's still fantasy, but much less so.

Here's two examples of heavy armor set in Archeage:
(click to show/hide)

For comparison the usual AZN armor set:
(click to show/hide)

While we're at armor sets, every player can wear any type of armor (light, medium, heavy) they want, but each provides their own benefits, for example light armor gives more benefits to caster classes. And while we're at classes:

Every player chooses 3 classes they'll play with. First is chosen on char creation, second at lvl 5, third at lvl 10, so you get them fast. With leveling you gain skill points with which you choose abilities or passives from one of those classes. Obviously skill points are limited, so you will not be able to max out all 3 classes, but instead will have to make a "build" out of those 3 classes. You could make a super hybrid that has a few points in each class, or you could make a very 1 class oriented build, but take a skill or two from the other two classes because they synergize with your "main" class. The classes to choose from are:
- Combat (melee/warrior type class)
- Conjury (heavy crowd control class)
- Protection (defensive class)
- Will (kind of a mix of crowd control and buffing)
- Necromancy (summoner / caster type)
- Archery (ranged/archer type)
- Magic (standard caster/mage type)
- Calling (rouge type class)
- Artistry (buffing/healing class)
- Devotion (healing class)

So taking in account that you can mix 3 of those, there's a lot of combinations to customize your character. Even more considering there's different skill distributions. The cool thing about this: you can change any of those classes any time you want (for a small fee). The skills/abilities of classes level up as well (as you play them), so you cannot switch the class and be instantly supergood at it.

I was also surprised at how good they utilized physics of CryEngine3, considering it's an MMORPG and physics system isn't usually a requirement. Probably haven't discovered all of it, but I did notice the game has ragdolls, character collision (you can actually slowly push someone) and for example rivers have current, so if you jump in one it'll take you away slowly. Other objects like boats have physics too.

Example videos of physics in play:

(boat flips at start)
(click to show/hide)

(pushing boat over land)
(click to show/hide)

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 12:40:35 pm »
(pushing boat over land)
(click to show/hide)

Reminds me of the opening of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xssfgq1d2E

Btw Vibe I was wondering.....what do you do in your life ? Do you get any money for playing all these games ? It's time consuming.....  :P
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2014, 12:47:31 pm »
+1
Btw Vibe I was wondering.....what do you do in your life ? Do you get any money for playing all these games ? It's time consuming.....  :P

I actually hop from game to game a lot and never dedicate a lot of time to each. This makes it look like I'm playing a lot, but not that much again :)

Basically job, girlfriend, videogames and occasionally drink/drug myself to near death with friends

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2014, 01:36:30 pm »
+1
I was halfway through downloading this after having registered through the Russian bullshit and found the english patch on the pirate bay ( removed from official forums ), when a program I was using to clean some adware my girlfriend had got on the PC, deleted the files used to patch/execute the game etc, cba to even go back to that Russian website and start again, think I'm just going to wait for a long time and try this out when it's released in English lol.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2014, 01:42:47 pm »
+1
I was halfway through downloading this after having registered through the Russian bullshit and found the english patch on the pirate bay ( removed from official forums ), when a program I was using to clean some adware my girlfriend had got on the PC, deleted the files used to patch/execute the game etc, cba to even go back to that Russian website and start again, think I'm just going to wait for a long time and try this out when it's released in English lol.

Gonna take some time (beta being announced at the end of March), and the English version might be a bit more casual, no one knows for sure though.

Offline Leesin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2014, 01:48:14 pm »
+1
Got the link again and it seems the installer has picked up where it left off, must have left me the data files properly intact. Only problem is I can't even remember my account details for the whole .ru bullshit so I'll just be guessing when I try to log in xD.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2014, 01:49:53 pm »
+1
Got the link again and it seems the installer has picked up where it left off, must have left me the data files properly intact. Only problem is I can't even remember my account details for the whole .ru bullshit so I'll just be guessing when I try to log in xD.

If you have to go through registration again you can actually switch the language to english https://e.mail.ru/signup?lang=en_US

English patch can be gotten here: https://thepiratebay.se/torrent/9659770

English community is on server Джин (reads Jean), on the East continent (Hariharan and Ferre race!)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 01:59:48 pm by Vibe »

Offline Leesin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2014, 02:19:38 pm »
+1
Yeh I already got the English patch, game is finished downloading now but I am going to have lunch with my son and play with him, so maybe try it out tonight.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2014, 02:29:40 pm »
+1
Yeh I already got the English patch, game is finished downloading now but I am going to have lunch with my son and play with him, so maybe try it out tonight.

FYI launch as early as possible, game is literally swarmed with people, servers have 5000+ people in queue which means about 4+ hours of waiting. Apply patch, start the game, connect to a server and then go afk and come back in a few hours once you finally get in :D

(queues should be fixed this week / next week when new servers are added)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2014, 02:49:09 pm »
+1
Wow 0.0 that's a large community!

Only just found this thread, guessing a lot has changed since your OP? Is it f2p? etc etc

It is pretty huge. You can see server status and queue here http://aaplay.ru/ you'll see the queues are huge :D

The basics of the game haven't changed since OP, but the game is free to play, yeah. There is also a VIP/premium status (6€ per month for RU version, which is really cheap compared to western MMO subscriptions), that lets you have your own plot of land / house / farm. Rest is all unlocked for F2P.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2014, 03:46:45 pm »
+1
Is there a Kingdom of Milano?

not (yet)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2014, 03:56:19 pm »
+1
But if i sign up for Beta i can be your loyal Knight and servant? I have no idea what the game is about though lol so for all i know i could end up some furry necromancer

I plan to take the path of a pirate and rob traders sailing over the huge sea the game has. I mean what other MMO allows you to be an actual fucking pirate.