• cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Space Pope of BIRD CLAN
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Unicorns
  • Game nicks: Gmnotutoo
Magic
« on: November 06, 2011, 02:29:24 am »
+57
The term "magic" is etymologically derived from the Greek word magika, which means it is very old and has been around a very long time. It is one of the first weapons used within mankind and is still relevant today, with such objects like talismans, charms, and other paraphernalia.

The earliest known written magical incantations come from ancient Mesopotamia, where they have been found inscribed on various  clay-tablets which are dated to be between the 5th and 4th centuries BC. The ancient Egyptians also employed magical incantations, which have been found inscribed on various amulets and other items. The Egyptian magical system, known as heka, was greatly altered and enhanced after the Macedonians, led by Alexander the Great, invaded Egypt in 332 BC. The ancient Greeks and Romans believed that books on magic were invented by the Persians, with the 1st century CE writer Pliny the Elder stating that magic had been first discovered by the ancient philosopher Zoroaster around the year 6347 BC, but that it was only written down in the 5th century BC by the magician Osthanes.

The ancient Jewish people were also often viewed as being knowledgeable in magic, which according to legend they had learned from Moses, who himself had learned it in Egypt. Indeed, amongst many ancient writers. Meanwhile there is definite evidence of grimoires being used by certain, particularly Gnostic sects of early Christianity; in the Book of Enoch found within the Dead Sea Scrolls for instance, there is various information on astrology and the angels.

Israelite King Solomon was a Biblical figure also associated with magic and sorcery in the ancient world. The pseudigraphic Testament of Solomon is one of the oldest magical texts. It is a Greek manuscript attributed to Solomon and likely written in either Babylonia or Egypt sometime in the first five centuries A.D., over a thousand years after Solomon's death.

Not withstanding the accounts of Biblical figures like Moses, Enoch and Solomon being associated with magical practices, when Christianity became the dominant faith of the Roman Empire, the early Church frowned upon the propagation of books on magic, connecting it with paganism and burned books of magic. The New Testament records that St. Paul had called for the burning of magic and pagan books in the city of Ephesus; this advice was adopted on a large scale after the Christian ascent to power.

In the Medieval period, the production of grimoires continued in Christendom as well as amongst Jews and the followers of the newly founded Islamic faith.  In Christianized Europe, the Church divided books of magic into two kinds; those that dealt with "natural magic" and those that dealt in "demonic magic". The former was acceptable, because it was viewed as merely taking note of the powers in nature that were created by God, for instance the Anglo-Saxon leechbooks which contained simple spells designed for medicinal purposes were tolerated. However the latter, demonic magic was not acceptable, because it was believed that such magic did not come from God, but from the Devil and his demons - these grimoires dealt in such topics as necromancy, divination and demonology.

TL;DR Version: Magic is real and apart of our history. For to long us Wizards have been ignored and kept down by the Dev team, but I believe now is the time to rise up and cast fireball on our oppressors!

If you vote yes, post an idea on how to implement it. Here is my idea:

Attributes: Intelligence
WPF: Spell Craft
Skills: Concentration

Wizard Staff: (2 slot) Can throw an arcane Lance, which is is just a glorified shining rock that acts like a stone being thrown. Damage, missile speed, and shooting rate based on a balance and the characters abilities/skills. This damage bypasses shields and armor, but is low damage and a slow moving missile.

New items: Scrolls
There would be a small amount of scrolls to choose from that all require one slot and can only be used once per round. Some of the magic spells I've thought of include:

Magical Inspiration: Any player within a certain range(determined by Spell Craft) gains +6 attributes and +2 skills for a duration of ten seconds per point of intelligence. Casting time (Time it takes to complete) based off of concentration.

Gmno's Greater Missile Storm: Within a determined range (spellcraft skill) all enemies in the area take 2 damage for every point in Concentration, this damage is unblock able and bypasses armor. Casting time based off of Spell Craft. Intelligence determines the maximum amount of enemies hit.

Summon Ladder: A 0-slot magical ladder is summoned into your inventory, the health of the ladder is determined by Int, Spell Craft, Concentration. Instant spell casting time.

Run!: A group of characters around the wizard (Range determined by Spell Craft) gains a temporary movement speed increase (Based on Concentration) that lasts for 5 seconds for every attribute point put into Intelligence.

Rain of Fire: Any archer/xbow within a range (Determined by Spell Craft) shoots fire missiles that do extra damage (based on concentration, for a duration determined by Intelligence.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 02:30:56 am by Gmnotutoo »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

THIS IS A MANLY CLAN. FOR MANLY MEN. DOING MANLY THINGS.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: Magic
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 02:34:28 am »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Gmnotutoo

• King
  • Renown: 1387
  • Infamy: 229
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 02:37:19 am »
+4
:( Can't you appreciate all the lore I gathered and just vote yes?

I motion to down vote tear's post!

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 02:44:31 am »
+1
If I can't have a Handgonne then I can't have Magic.

Besides, look closely and you will find my No was rather sexual.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Earthdforce

• Earl
  • Renown: 391
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Earth_Geodude_da_Defender, _RageThrower
  • IRC nick: Khalestimo#7613
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 02:49:33 am »
+2
Did not care to read that wall of text, but YES!

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 03:31:10 am »
+8
The Wizard Staff also needs to have a secoundary mode which is a normal staff. Blocking and attacking as normal.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 03:32:58 am »
+6
I agree, magic would make cRPG way better.  There could be fireballs that destroy walls and are useful for sieges.

Then you could also summon higher levels of armor or add temporary heirloom points to your armor as a self buff.

If anyone says no to this suggestion they're stupid watch lord of the rings the stuff gandalf did was tiiiight.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 04:05:14 am »
+1
-11, that is the best you got punks?!

Gimme moar! I want to see the first ever -50, no one has ever hit that much.

Offline Blashyrkh

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 03:04:17 pm »
I vote no, simply because I have no love for magic.

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 03:31:56 pm »
+4
Magic rocks!
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 03:33:40 pm »
+4
This might be the end of the mod.

Offline Grey

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • Hope you like arrows...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: -
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 03:37:15 pm »
+4
end of mod: YOU GUYS ARE ALL NOOBS!! I AM wizard ingame RIGHT NOW! Every round I cast Arrow of Death like 20+ times, no to mention I cast "Runthefuckoff" and "Amazing Evasion" each time someone tries to shoot or stab me.
Bamboo Bundle Bowman: 90'' draw, groups at 200 yards.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 05:04:25 pm »
end of mod: YOU GUYS ARE ALL NOOBS!! I AM wizard ingame RIGHT NOW! Every round I cast Arrow of Death like 20+ times, no to mention I cast "Runthefuckoff" and "Amazing Evasion" each time someone tries to shoot or stab me.

You know, if games actually had that appropriate of names for spells, I would be much happier.

Offline Gmnotutoo

• King
  • Renown: 1387
  • Infamy: 229
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 06:18:43 pm »
+3
You know, if games actually had that appropriate of names for spells, I would be much happier.

Evards Black Tentacles!

This spell creates many rubbery, black tentacles in the area of effect. These waving members seem to spring forth from the earth, floor, or whatever surface is underfoot--including water. Each tentacle is 10 feet long. (Description of spell in game. :D )

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 06:28:17 pm »
+1
I approve rain of fire if it can be used on people that camp roofs :P