Author Topic: The Last Kingdom  (Read 9808 times)

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
Re: The Last Kingdom
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2015, 10:32:22 pm »
+1
Ok had to download episode 5 as couldn't wait.

Enjoying this more and more. The young hot head Uthred is really coming out. As well as the arse hole Odda the younger and Alfred's calculating brain/piety to make up for his lack of strength.

I like how they are developing the characters so well to how they are portrayed in the books.

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2015, 04:58:58 pm »
only thing that is annoying the crap out of me is he keeps saying "destiny is all" did they really need to change the saying to that :(
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2015, 07:44:58 am »
loving it, too.  show is also really good in getting me all pissed about gay ass church ^^
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2015, 10:00:18 am »
I read the first book quite a while ago now so quite a few of the details are hazy to me, but I feel like the TV show has either missed some big parts of the story that stood out to me and either contains parts I dont remember or just made them up, is my memory just fucked or has the tv show by episode 6 gone completely off the first book without covering everything? is it based on more than the first book? I am feeling slightly confused and the last 2 episodes I actually didn't enjoy much because of it lol.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2015, 10:31:25 am »
Episode 6 will be based on the second book.

The end of episode 5 is basically the end of the first book from what I remember + a little wiki.

There are quite a few plot points that have changed but I think they got the overall story arch and the key characters down.

Like the fact they aren't dragging their feet. Iseult has already cropped up which means bye bye Mildrith. Think they've got Iseult spot on as well. Casting has been really good so far.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 11:24:36 am by Overdriven »

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2015, 07:13:16 am »
Ah right, I thought I was just going mad or that they had changed a lot, but I guess the fact they missed out parts that I had remembered and had started going into book 2, had left me confused.

The whole fleet thing stood out in my mind and when it didn't happen in the tv show and then went onto the second book which I havent read yet I really started to wonder wtf was going on lol. I have the second book but when I realised this show was on I decided to watch it first as I thought it would be based solely on the first book. But considering it is going into the second book I am actually going to stop watching it, skim back through the first book and then read the second book before I continue watching the show.

Not only had my confusion begun to lead me to feeling negative about the show, but I feel that Uhtred is one of the worst played and perhaps written characters in the show, in the book I do remember him being hot headed etc, but he didn't seem like a complete fucking idiot like I feel he comes across as in the Tv show.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2015, 01:21:28 pm »
+1
Not only had my confusion begun to lead me to feeling negative about the show, but I feel that Uhtred is one of the worst played and perhaps written characters in the show, in the book I do remember him being hot headed etc, but he didn't seem like a complete fucking idiot like I feel he comes across as in the Tv show.

Haha trust me he's a total fucking idiot in the books a lot of a the time as well. Usually because of his hotheadedness.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2015, 01:41:58 pm »
He gets better in his later years though I think.

I still need to read the latest book.

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2015, 02:43:39 pm »
Fate is inexorable. Merlin would say that all the time in the Warlord Chronicles.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2015, 02:53:46 pm »
Yeah Sharpe novels were a prime example of that. All relatively the same story line just a change of scenery and situation with the occasional big battle to mix it up. The movies were even worse. I used to love them when I was a kid and I watch them now and think every single one is the damn same. Particular the first half.

That's partly why I love the Warlord series, Stonehenge and even the Grail Quest series. They break the mold a little bit in terms of his writing. Although that could be partly down to them being much shorter series of books.

Offline xxkaliboyx

• Earl
  • Renown: 318
  • Infamy: 104
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deserter_Merrrrrica
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2015, 02:59:36 pm »
+1
Just came here to say this is my new favorite show on TV. Never read the books or even know much about Viking history per say but this is definitely giving me the motivation to research the real history of it  :D
Deserter_Merrrrrica

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2015, 06:15:22 pm »
(click to show/hide)
ootred would be good mob boss
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 06:22:13 pm by Asheram »
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2015, 11:58:07 pm »
Yeah, Cornwell is a pulp writer when it comes down to it. Ain't nothing wrong with that. Not everyone needs to be a Junot Diaz, Michael Chabon, or Zadie Smith.

I do think I'd appreciate a little more Coen brothers style humor in all the shitty things that happen to him. We saw some of it in episode 5, granted, but a little more wouldn't hurt.

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2015, 10:09:30 am »
The thing about the Sharpe books is it was more about how he gets through the inevitable troubles he has.

My dad always said: he'll be great at the start, get into some bad shit, everyone hates him, then at the end he's a hero again.

I mean he friggin goes into Badajoz in a forlorn hope to save his wife and kid while the British army are chanting his name as he's bossing people with a British flag. But fuck it, it's great fun to read.

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2015, 12:04:19 am »
Think you have something there with the shorter series of books.

The first 3 Last Kingdom books were significantly different from each other with major life-changing events happening in each. After that, they all seem to blur together a little bit (although still enjoyable), I suspect he just gets a bit comfortable writing for the same characters in a similar setting for too many books.

last book was pretty cool :D

and here i am chanting steapa steapa steapa steapa
cant wait to see who they cast :D
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk