Off Topic > General Off Topic

The AI Revolution: Road to Superintelligence

<< < (2/20) > >>

Xant:
Nor does it mean it can happen.

Tibe:
Yeah. The "when someone, somewhere will surely shake these borders" argument is not really that solid. The optimisim is nice and all but it doesnt really say anything and is useless at current stage. He's right to be skeptical, cause at this point its just a theoretic possibility based on a theoretic foundation. I predict that when Cutchulu rises, the speed of winds will increase worldwide so much that windenergy will be viable everywhere and shall replace nuclearenergy.

Xant:
It reminds me of Pascal's wager.

Leshma:

--- Quote from: Kafein on July 25, 2015, 02:14:14 am ---I have one problem with Singularity theory: intelligence cannot make a robot escape the laws of physics. With electronic computers I don't think we'll manage to have the power to reproduce even one complete human brain, which would be the condition for reaching super-human intelligence in the first place. The author doesn't understand Moore's Law, and then everything he says pretty much collapses from there.

--- End quote ---

Moore Law, electronic computers? What is this, 1980s? Moore Law today serves just one purpose and that is marketing for Intel CPUs. It isn't a thing for a decade already when it comes to consumer electronics.

Quantum computers already exist and can be bought if you have enough cash, software is an issue atm but that will be fixed in years to come. In less than a decade price of those computers will come down to under 100k and their availability will be wider. IBM and HP are already working on consumer versions of quantum computers and those should be revealed in few years to general public.

Electronic computers have hit their limits and no matter what Intel marketing department is spinning these days (we have found new material that will allow us to go bellow 10nm litography, bullshit like that), electronic computers are very near their limits. Next are quantum and bio computers. We'll probably see upgrade to electro-computers such as optic connections between chips but that will happen alongside development of next gen computing which will be nothing like what we have now.

Dooz:

--- Quote from: Tibe on July 25, 2015, 11:39:09 am ---Yeah. The "when someone, somewhere will surely shake these borders" argument is not really that solid. The optimisim is nice and all but it doesnt really say anything and is useless at current stage. He's right to be skeptical, cause at this point its just a theoretic possibility based on a theoretic foundation. I predict that when Cutchulu rises, the speed of winds will increase worldwide so much that windenergy will be viable everywhere and shall replace nuclearenergy.

--- End quote ---

difference being, there's reason to think things are moving in a certain direction based on where things have come from and currently are, as opposed to completely random "theory" about cthulu

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version