Author Topic: THE anime thread  (Read 145948 times)

Offline Bjarky

• Earl
  • Renown: 352
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • U got gold? I bring tea, silk, hemp, camels +more!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Leadership member)
  • Game nicks: Guard_BD_Bjarky, Guard_the_Lederhosen
  • IRC nick: bjarky
Re: THE anime thread
« Reply #600 on: October 23, 2015, 08:12:10 pm »
what the hell

this
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

really has become an anime now. What. Whaaaaaaat.

I´ve read some pages of the manga and it was pretty hilarious, but I haven´t had time yet to look into the anime

is it any good?

One Punch Man
its amazing :)

Offline Tiger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 853
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
  • Made In China
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: TigerGirl; MooMooMilk; BobaBubbleTea; TerraCotta; Tuberculosis; BoomStickGirl
« Reply #601 on: October 26, 2015, 03:15:06 am »
+1
what the hell

this

really has become an anime now. What. Whaaaaaaat.

I´ve read some pages of the manga and it was pretty hilarious, but I haven´t had time yet to look into the anime

is it any good?

One Punch Man

http://imgur.com/gallery/ip9UMaj

"The long united must divide; the long divided must unite."
"How many things, before and after, all melt into gossip and laughter."

Offline Umbra

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, Freak Army of Gnjus
  • Game nicks: Umbra
« Reply #602 on: October 26, 2015, 01:27:02 pm »
+2

Offline Umbra

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: October 26, 2015, 07:16:02 pm »
+6

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 759
  • Infamy: 949
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: November 03, 2015, 12:18:10 am »
+2
Horror in Japan continues, seen Elfen Lied for the first time. Great show, heavy on emotions and creates eerie atmosphere at times. Wouldn't classify it as horror (haven't seen any proper horror anime yet), it is far behind shows I've seen previously in that department. It's a decent sci-fi story though.

Currently watching Hellsing and while it has cool characters, don't understand why it is marketed towards mature audience (seinen)? Characters are cool and unique, British influence is refreshing but dear god, is this the most childish thing I've seen so far? Very western, very naive, finished fourth episode and there is zero depth to it. Hopefully it picks up and adds some horror elements because all this gore is fun to watch but there's zero horror attached to it. I strongly prefer darker, more serious stuff to watch and this show seems not to be taking itself seriously at all. Maybe that is the reason why it so popular?

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • Renown: 672
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Rhekimos
  • IRC nick: Rhekimos
« Reply #605 on: November 03, 2015, 12:36:25 am »
+1
Horror in Japan continues, seen Elfen Lied for the first time. Great show, heavy on emotions and creates eerie atmosphere at times. Wouldn't classify it as horror (haven't seen any proper horror anime yet), it is far behind shows I've seen previously in that department. It's a decent sci-fi story though.

Currently watching Hellsing and while it has cool characters, don't understand why it is marketed towards mature audience (seinen)? Characters are cool and unique, British influence is refreshing but dear god, is this the most childish thing I've seen so far? Very western, very naive, finished fourth episode and there is zero depth to it. Hopefully it picks up and adds some horror elements because all this gore is fun to watch but there's zero horror attached to it. I strongly prefer darker, more serious stuff to watch and this show seems not to be taking itself seriously at all. Maybe that is the reason why it so popular?

Watch the OVA. The TV series was being done without the manga having fleshed out the story and basically dropped off once the manga turned darker with
(click to show/hide)

http://myanimelist.net/anime/777/Hellsing_Ultimate

But now that I think of it, if you are looking for a similarly serious show to Elfen Lied with a focus on relationships, you won't really find that in Hellsing. It's still very much worth a watch though.

If you would like to try something disturbing and more serious, give Serial Experiments Lain a go.
It sports a great amount of success in eerie atmosphere building.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/339/Serial_Experiments_Lain

Another and Kurozuka might be more real horror if that's what you are looking for in a show.

You also might just not find the western horror story and elements no matter what anime you watch though.

Shinsekai Yori was also very interesting.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 01:12:45 am by Rhekimos »

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
« Reply #606 on: November 03, 2015, 01:59:07 am »
+1
A couple of plain good and amusing Lain AMVs.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: November 03, 2015, 01:06:17 pm »
+1

Gonna watch Elfen Lied.

As for Hellsing - I watched Hellsing Ultimate, and yeah it's not really horror. I still found it pretty great though, and the animation is amazing.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1435
  • Infamy: 2343
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: November 03, 2015, 01:33:13 pm »
+1
Technical aspect is top notch, probably the best I've seen so far. Main issue I have with that series is lack of Japanese influence. Most Japanese manga anime have something in common. There is always some greater discussion going on in the background of main story. Humanity vs nature, who is human who is not, what means to be human, relations between characters, lots of emotions going on, many layers like that. Gay stuff, but I like it and it is one of the main reasons why I read Japanese comics and watch their shows. You're rarely going to see any of that in American produced comics and shows. None of that in Hellsing, very barren, like they've made fun show for gaijin simpletons.

Don't understand why no one has made Eden: It's an Endless World into an anime? One of the best manga I've read, on par with original Alita, Monster and I am a Hero.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 01:36:16 pm by Leshma »

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: November 03, 2015, 01:35:30 pm »
+1
Technical aspect is top notch, probably the best I've seen so far. Main issue I have with that series is lack of Japanese influence. Most Japanese manga anime have something in common. There is always some greater discussion going on in the background of main story. Humanity vs nature, who is human who is not, what means to be human, relations between characters, lots of emotions going on, many layers like that. Gay stuff, but I like it and it is one of the main reasons why I watch and read Japanese comics and watch their shows. You're rarely going to see any of that in American produced comics and shows. None of that in Hellsing, very barren, like they've made fun show for gaijin simpletons.

Don't understand why no one has made Eden: It's an Endless World into an anime? One of the best manga I've read, on par with original Alita, Monster and I am a Hero.

There's quite a few mangas that deserve to be made into an anime, to be honest. Continuation of Berserk, Vinland Saga (and these are the more popular ones, who knows what else hides in the world of japanese comics).

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
« Reply #610 on: November 04, 2015, 03:26:11 am »
+1
Gonna watch Elfen Lied.

Good choice.

Technical aspect is top notch, probably the best I've seen so far. Main issue I have with that series is lack of Japanese influence. Most Japanese manga anime have something in common. There is always some greater discussion going on in the background of main story. Humanity vs nature, who is human who is not, what means to be human, relations between characters, lots of emotions going on, many layers like that. Gay stuff, but I like it and it is one of the main reasons why I read Japanese comics and watch their shows. You're rarely going to see any of that in American produced comics and shows. None of that in Hellsing, very barren, like they've made fun show for gaijin simpletons.

If you are watching the OVA, a part of why Hellsing Ultimate is how it is, is because it was made for the starved fans of the manga and the not very good or faithful TV adaptation. Most of that stuff is considered to be done with, to the extend that Hellsing touches them.

Offline Umbra

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: November 04, 2015, 09:46:25 am »
+1
Elfen lied is that kind of show where you like it the 1st time but when you rewatch it you realiase how shit it is, like Mirai nikki for example. Still, i would recommend it. Embarasingly plot holsih lolis destroying each other are my guilty pleasure.

Also i highly recommend Zankyou no Terror (Psychological, Thriller) and No game no life (Crpgers irl)

Rarely does an anime actually do its job on me, which is selling the source material, NGNL was one of the exceptions.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 742
  • Infamy: 2959
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: November 04, 2015, 02:25:42 pm »
+1
They say Elfen Lied manga is much better, haven't read it yet. Based on what Rhekimos said, same goes for Hellsing. Will read that as well.

Elfen lied is that kind of show where you like it the 1st time but when you rewatch it you realiase how shit it is

Maybe, but I'm not into watching same thing over and over again just to see some quality that hasn't surfaced for the first time. Only stuff I tend to watch again is something that has no sequel and is pretty unique. Rewatching mostly for entertainment value, not to "get it" second or forty second time.

Anyone seen this: http://myanimelist.net/anime/323/Mousou_Dairinin?

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
« Reply #613 on: November 05, 2015, 06:44:01 am »
+1
Mousou Dairinin was entertaining. Not groundbreaking. And the end was surprisingly cookie-cutter.

Worth a watch, but I much prefer Lain over it for psychological/philosophical anime.

Offline Umbra

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: November 09, 2015, 10:35:51 am »
+2
Watching Akame ga Kill after reading the manga. Not your typical shounen garbage, would recommend