Author Topic: cRPG security situation: change your passwords  (Read 11478 times)

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
Re: cRPG security situation: change your passwords
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2011, 10:54:23 pm »
buy passwords 4 cheap
grow inventory 10 looms in 2 weeks, GUARANTEED!
CHEAP GOLD NOW!!!

Offline Trikipum

• Count
  • Renown: 155
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2011, 11:22:48 pm »
Source? Somehow I think I would've heard of a massive Valve exploit alongside the mass of Lulzsec propaganda news, but as the poster above me says, even if you gain access to a Steam users account, you need further verification (Email codes, gibberish) to gain access to the account.
Yes, those new security checks really help, and im sure they added them coz they were aware of their uber exploit that was there for like 1 year and no one from valve said a single word. Believe me if i tell you it existed is coz I know it did. I actually saw a guy doing it at a lan party, and it worked very well, actually that guy stole a BfBC2 cd key as the owner of the account was downloading his new bought game, then he used it to register it to his email and played the game using the non steam version. Maybe they had the cdkeys long before valve fixed their stuff. Or they just hacked the database for passwords, who knows.
"if you can't handle waiting a few minutes now and then, this game is not for you"

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2011, 11:44:34 pm »
if you access a Steam Account and try and log in, even if you have the right username and password, if you are using a computer that it does not remember (yes, steam has and still does keep track of every computer used for every account) then it flaggs it as unfamiliar, and sends you a special e-mail with a unique password in that e-mail.

So basically, in order to hack a steam account you need the username (that they keep), the password (that they keep), the e-mail (that they keep) and the password for the e-mail (that they do not keep)...

I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Murmillus_Prime

• Earl
  • Renown: 424
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player
  • Dying is gay.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Murmillus_Prime
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2011, 12:48:49 am »
Hmm, couple of days ago I visited my character webpage and it said no password had been made for my account... Which is clearly bullshit, so I made a new password for my account. Maybe this has happened to other players too but the ones with missing stuff were too late to notice.
Dumbfuck.Fuckwit.Cuntshit.Brickfuck.

Offline Classical

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 133
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2011, 06:11:02 am »
Yes, those new security checks really help, and im sure they added them coz they were aware of their uber exploit that was there for like 1 year and no one from valve said a single word. Believe me if i tell you it existed is coz I know it did. I actually saw a guy doing it at a lan party, and it worked very well, actually that guy stole a BfBC2 cd key as the owner of the account was downloading his new bought game, then he used it to register it to his email and played the game using the non steam version. Maybe they had the cdkeys long before valve fixed their stuff. Or they just hacked the database for passwords, who knows.

Uh huh, let's not get into arguments about who did what in the past though, the point is.

Check your cRPG accounts security:
1) Make sure it has a password set.
2) Make sure your password isn't "password"
3) Don't give out your password
4) Don't make extra accounts on the same serial, without adding a password that abides by rule number two and three.

General, common sense guidelines, add to the list as you see fit.

Also, in discussion with some other members of the cRPG community, we've learned that if you have a created character that you use for other modifications (Say PW mod? Mount and Musket?) on M&B, cRPG somehow, eventually logs them as characters on your serial without a password. When it does this is beyond me, but apparently it has happened to some people, so watch the alt. accounts you create.

Offline Ufthak

• Baron
  • Renown: 97
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2011, 09:47:10 am »
It may be best just to log those characters from other games in to let them be created, and then change their passwords. There's also a change all passwords option, for anyone that's been too lazy to check.

Offline Delro

• Noble
  • Renown: 21
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • Taking Arrows To The Face Since 2008
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS
  • Game nicks: Delro_ATS
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2011, 10:02:57 am »
Hmm, couple of days ago I visited my character webpage and it said no password had been made for my account... Which is clearly bullshit, so I made a new password for my account. Maybe this has happened to other players too but the ones with missing stuff were too late to notice.

Good tip
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2011, 07:02:34 am »
Went to log in tonight and every single character of mine says that the password is wrong.  WTF

Created a new character so I could switch to my real characters and change the pw's AGAIN (I had just changed them when this thread was made) and the characters themselves are missing from the list!  Gorath, Amgine, Braxxus, Vyrus.  Gone.  Not in the list and it says I have to set a new main.  DOUBLE WTF!  So while I'm at work some fucktard gets into my account and deletes all my characters?  Yeah, awesome.

Just heard from the guys in vent that apparently POOPHAMMER saw "me" selling all of my gear for 1g each today while I was at work.  w00t w00t.  Guess that's the end of my time in cRPG.

*Mostly posting this so the Dev's know that even after changing pw's apparently someone still has a way to access accounts*

LOL, only one they didn't delete was my SWAT_ character alt who had no gear, gold or heirlooms.  That's just kind of a slap in the face.   :lol:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 07:35:21 am by Gorath »
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Classical

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 133
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2011, 07:56:31 am »
Welp, lets just hope the devs are investigating the issue as a whole.

Offline downer

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: downer
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2011, 09:39:02 pm »
Went to log in tonight and every single character of mine says that the password is wrong.  WTF

Created a new character so I could switch to my real characters and change the pw's AGAIN (I had just changed them when this thread was made) and the characters themselves are missing from the list!  Gorath, Amgine, Braxxus, Vyrus.  Gone.  Not in the list and it says I have to set a new main.  DOUBLE WTF!  So while I'm at work some fucktard gets into my account and deletes all my characters?  Yeah, awesome.

Just heard from the guys in vent that apparently POOPHAMMER saw "me" selling all of my gear for 1g each today while I was at work.  w00t w00t.  Guess that's the end of my time in cRPG.

*Mostly posting this so the Dev's know that even after changing pw's apparently someone still has a way to access accounts*

LOL, only one they didn't delete was my SWAT_ character alt who had no gear, gold or heirlooms.  That's just kind of a slap in the face.   :lol:

As much disdain as I have for you and the way you act in general, this sucks. Hopefully the Dev's can get something figured out for you and acknowledge this as an issue.

Offline 7000bc

• Knight
  • Renown: 57
  • Infamy: 10
  • Vae Victus, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Roma
  • Game nicks: Varros
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2011, 09:43:46 pm »

Don't leave gorath, we Chaos guys are organizing a replacement fund for you if you can't get the devs to give you your items back
For while the fire in the heart of a single Remnant still burns... can Stratia truly have fallen?

Offline Socrates

• Knight
  • Renown: 76
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • Philosophy is a way of life
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Ascended Order
  • Game nicks: Socrates
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2011, 10:05:08 pm »
Oh come on Gorath SWAT is a prize to behold. But other than that damn that sucks, I wonder who is doing all of this and I hope the devs are on to work on it right now.
The act of justice is not determined by the state.

Offline Beans

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: USA
  • Game nicks: USA_MEATMERCHANT_AMERICA
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2011, 02:24:47 am »
The biggest thing people need to make sure is that if you make a new alt, you set it a password. MAKE SURE EVERY CHARACTER HAS A PASSWORD.

If have a bunch of alts its worth your time to double check.

Offline Xol!

• Earl
  • Renown: 428
  • Infamy: 51
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Xol_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Xol
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2011, 04:13:21 am »
Wiegraf_BRD, Grey_of_Chaos, and Misan_of_Chaos all just got their shit stolen a few minutes ago.  Some of us in IRC picked their stuff up and will be returning it, but please everyone make sure all your accounts are passworded securely.
boop

Offline polkafranzi

• Marshall
  • Renown: 814
  • Infamy: 276
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fun clan - Burg Krems, join with main or alt!
  • Game nicks: Adelheid, Wulfing, Hildebrand, Vulferam, Sepp, Pippa (r.i.p), Minjy
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2011, 04:14:59 am »
+1
damned grey order

although the gorath one might be balton getting some revenge is a dish best served cold n all that
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 04:20:55 am by polkafranzi »

willy wheels, owl wheels, bogey wheels, hot wheels, mag wheels, billy cursey, mary the dyke from across the road, john the black bloke, what about stamps? teddy i shit meself, fleming house, greggers, pop-inn, don't woory - 50, i mog ka musik, t