Author Topic: Game of Thrones - Season 8 - 4/14/2019  (Read 20761 times)

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
Re: Game of Thrones - Season 8 - 4/14/2019
« Reply #195 on: May 13, 2019, 02:55:19 pm »
+1
 :rolleyes:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Casul

• King
  • Renown: 1010
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • I like animals
    • View Profile
  • Faction: plate goons club, Krems
  • Game nicks: Cassi, Antarctica
  • IRC nick: Cassi
« Reply #196 on: May 13, 2019, 03:00:55 pm »
+2
(click to show/hide)

Maybe if Coronoa virus gets rid of 50 percent or more of the world population we can do without a pope and religion.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 13, 2019, 03:19:31 pm »
+4
That episode was decent. Good visuals, and I like how brutal it was. Kind of reminded me of the old Game of Thrones a little.

If only the writing made any fucking sense. Talk about a rush job, first of all. Varys "betrays" Daenerys and gets executed in ten minutes flat, just over and done with for no good reason. None of that made any sense. What did he actually do? How did they find out? No one reacted either to any of it. And even worse was Daenery's completely nonsensical descent into madness. The end result is good, but the lead up just was. Not. There. At all. Her character changed COMPLETELY from the last season. Hell, from the last episodes. They rushed it like fuck, it made no sense, and it would've been really easy to make it so much better.

And how about the insanely, wildly varying power levels of scorpions and dragons? In this episode, scorpions were fucking USELESS. When just last episode we saw Euron hit a moving target on open sea, where judging distance of an object flying that far away, and its speed, would be next to impossible. Yet, two perfect hits, not even a single shot needed to gauge distance etc. And this episode? We have a metric fuck ton of scorpions, none of them doing anything at all. Oh yeah, and what was Daenerys' plan for dealing with Euron's fleet equipped with them, and the walls? Just fly at them and dragonfire them all to death 4Head. Literally what. She just lost a dragon to their insane power and accuracy, and now she just destroys them all by flying directly at them. With utter ease.

And dragons in this episode are back to invincible nuclear weapons that can keep breathing fire (that explodes walls) for hours, non-stop. Too bad the dragons kind of forgot how to do that in the battle for Winterfell.

Why were there no scorpions at the Red Keep? Daenerys could've literally flown up there and just burned it to the ground unopposed straight from the start.

Probably the worst victim of this episode was Jaime. They absolutely butchered his character and his character arc. He went back to being the season 1 Jaime out of nowhere, and he "never really cared much about the innocent" despite the fact his entire backstory as the Kingslayer is based on that, lmao. Among, y'know, other things like... going to the North to fight for living instead of staying with Cersei, etc., etc.

Golden Company was completely pointless. Also, they fucking hate walls. As does every defending army on this show, apparently. Much better to form up outside them.

Everyone forgot about the Night King already. The entire threat from beyond the Wall was also completely, entirely pointless. Literally may as well not have existed. Even Danenery's army seemed completely intact, logic-defyingly. The Battle for Winterfell had zero impact on anything. So many missed opportunities. I was actually somewhat curious to see how a practically army-less Daenerys was going to defeat Cersei, but I guess I forgot it's D&D writing this show. Just pretend she has an army again!

Why were Arya and Sandor in the city on the day of the attack? HOW were they there? They left on horses before the army left from Winterfell on foot, didn't they? Plus there were a ton of other delays for the army. What was the point of Arya going to KL on the same day as the city gets attacked? Why did Arya decide to suddenly turn back, after having traveled all the way there from Winterfell, when she was ten seconds from her goal? What the actual fuck was she doing there in the first place, if she was satisfied with Cersei dying by someone else's hand? And did the writers kind of forget, with that Arya scene, that Arya is a hardened killer that's killed like 100+ people, not some naive little girl who's just embarked on a path of revenge without truly realizing what it means?

Cersei's death and scenes just felt.... flat and unsatisfying. She just stares out a window, then cries a bit, then dies. Rushed, again.

So many things happened off-screen. Conversations, and things like Jaime magically being smuggled into the city. Par for the course now, of course.

In our series of pointless things: Euron. Euron casually saunters from the sea like an anime character after, apparently, swimming for miles and miles. Just in time to have a retarded, meaningless fight with Jaime. Which he wins, then kind of forgets about Jaime, who crawls 10 meters to a sword and kills Euron. Yay. Guess they had to kill off Euron somehow and their lunch-break was coming up when they remembered they had to write something for him.

Armor: Hound's sword easily penetrates the armor of four Kingsguard. Then does nothing to the Mountain who wears identical armor. And I don't know what it is with people and the "Cleganebowl" meme, but apparently any Hound+Mountain scene is automagically awesome or something (despite Mountain being a weird zombie and not even a person anymore, he already basically died). I guess it was okay, but felt extremely anticlimatic to me. Just D&D quickly killing off more characters in another scene that means nothing outside its immediate context. In fact, that was basically the entire episode. D&D getting rid of characters as fast as they can, so they can finish the story.

Also, the leaks were right about this episode. If they're also right about the ending, and who ends up on the Iron Throne, shit's about to get (even more) hilarious(ly bad).
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 03:44:34 pm by Xant »
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 13, 2019, 03:57:46 pm »
+3
I honestly still think she's being built up as an eventual "bad guy". A bunch of dragons and an army of bloodthirsty rapists with the goal to conquer land and tear down castles doesn't sound very noble, with the addition of even more bloodthirsty rapists when the Ironborn conveniently show up with a massive fleet just as she's convinced the Dothraki to follow her across the sea. The only army she's had so far is a bunch of robotic drugged euneuchs, and I don't care how fucking kawai they all think she is the Dothraki and Ironborn ain't gonna stop the rapin' and the lootin' they know and love. I mean, an army composed of viking and mongol derivatives, I can't think of anything that says predatory mass destruction any better, except maybe fucking dragons, which oh wait she also has, with the robotic drugged euneuch baby/dog murderers as an afterthought. I can't see anyone in the Seven Kingdoms welcoming that shit.

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #199 on: May 13, 2019, 04:06:23 pm »

O b e r a d a m u s

TBH I am not all that surprised that Dany is making bad decisions now as her most effective advisers have all either died or had their brains written out of the show. Guess she has a little more mad king in her than people previously suspected.

Overall that last episode was at least very entertaining, though some of the choices for how characters went out seem pretty strange. Still feels very rushed but it gets a 7.8/10 from me.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 13, 2019, 04:24:05 pm »
B-based showrunners. They were evil racist (((white men))) all along.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 13, 2019, 04:26:14 pm »
 :lol: Low IQ gashes don't understand foreshadowing, a collection:

W-what do you mean this isn't just like my Hunger Games and Harry Potter YAS KWEEN Mary Sues?! Women who aren't perfect and benevolent wise rulers?! REEEEEEEEEE
How dare you show noble womyn being flawed in any way, t-this is patriarchy manifest.

Yet another perfect case study for the Galbrush paradox:

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 04:47:28 pm by Oberyn »

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #202 on: May 13, 2019, 04:51:34 pm »
+1
Show isn't even worth discussing at this point, it'd just be redundant to point out the lack of writing/character development. Can find more substance in a fuckin marvel movie nowadays, and probably more visually-pleasing cgi in the past few got episodes.  The only thing I found fitting from the last episode was the end of cleganebowl, the actual "fight" itself was a little underwhelming since it was little more than the hound hacking at his bro's invulnerable armor (until he stabs right through it eventually), and then getting tossed around. Although at least we got one last little houndism out of it, "fucking die!" Also arya being there at all (travelling all the way from winterfell, sneaking into the red keep, and THEN she turns back?) just felt forced, she only seemed to be there to give us a pov of a "helpless citizen" during all the destruction.

Shoutouts to those lannister soldiers who were trying to save the citizens, more honorable than the now-rapist notherners I guess.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline the real god emperor

• King
  • Renown: 1630
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
    • Click for gifts
  • Faction: Rome
  • Game nicks: Captain_Sweden
« Reply #203 on: May 13, 2019, 05:12:04 pm »
+1
Sandor Clegane kills 4 knights in 2 seconds then glances off the mountain's armor, heh. Visually cool episode, but apparently everyone's character and strength changes as the plot demands it, Jaime does a 180, Daenerys does a 180, Arya becomes her earlier self suddenly out of nowhere and shit.

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #204 on: May 13, 2019, 06:38:33 pm »
Bro Arya hit her head and it was like REALLY dusty ok

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 13, 2019, 06:43:39 pm »
+2
I'm simply out of words to describe how stupid this show is.

Offline Knute

• Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 682
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
« Reply #206 on: May 13, 2019, 07:01:31 pm »
+2

Shoutouts to those lannister soldiers who were trying to save the citizens, more honorable than the now-rapist notherners I guess.

I think they included this as a callback to the idea of history as a wheel repeating itself, because 25 years prior it was the Lannister solders raping and pillaging the city, and now the roles were reversed with the Targaryen loyalists doing the same.

https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/Sack_of_King%27s_Landing

Did they forget about the Gold Cloaks this season? I didn't see any in the Kings Landing scenes.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 13, 2019, 07:47:58 pm »
:lol: Low IQ gashes don't understand foreshadowing, a collection:

W-what do you mean this isn't just like my Hunger Games and Harry Potter YAS KWEEN Mary Sues?! Women who aren't perfect and benevolent wise rulers?! REEEEEEEEEE
How dare you show noble womyn being flawed in any way, t-this is patriarchy manifest.

Yet another perfect case study for the Galbrush paradox:

(click to show/hide)

What's so crazy is that it's almost impossible to please feminists like this. Unless you make women PERMANENTLY and universally the best thing ever, you're their worst enemy. GOT has been SJW fan-service for something like three seasons now, with women and girls in all shapes and sizes that have been the best in literally everything, and not a single man who wasn't subservient to them. And yet when one of the women goes Mad Queen (you know, like the men before her have went mad), it's now a sexist, misogynistic show. It's the same thing every time.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #208 on: May 13, 2019, 07:51:41 pm »
+1
It wasnt the worst episode at least. I dont understand why it has to be so long though, i get it, she is torching the city and the citizens and i guess the cgi looks pretty(?). Its just CGI, its not that impressive, i dont need to see so much of the same thing.

Jaimes character arc got flushed, i was desperately hoping that he would do something to end Cersei, but nah. Arya literally has no purpose, why are we watching her? She didnt do anything, she just got some mother and child killed. She walks in with purpose, realises she doesnt want it, then walks out. Is it to be some kind of redemption (i dont know what to call it), "oh arya isnt out for revenge anymore, she good now". Or as it seems D&D just writes dramatic scenes in with no purpose but drama itself, oh now we see the innocents trying to hide/escape, and then they die how sad, oh Dany u a bad bitch.

Euron dies just to die, stabs Jaime but it doesnt change anything, he walks away like its a bee sting after winning the fight.

Varys dies, and Tyrion is essentially dead and replaced with a bootlicker that doesnt even quip about his bad situation, he just is follows. The Hound dies unfortunately, he was the only character that wasnt completely ruined, but at least he had some kind of satisfactory finish.

And so on.. The best part of the show now is honestly reading and listening to rants from people that are big fans. Im not that huge on GoT compared to some, but just hearing the devastation and anger is great.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 13, 2019, 08:04:04 pm »
+1
None of the deaths mean anything anymore. There's no context to them. That's one of the worst things about the show.

Oberyn, a newly introduced character, dies defending Tyrion in his trial. It has big build up, and his death has implications and consequences for the story.

Ned Stark, obviously the same. Rob, the same. Joffrey, the same. Etc., etc. They die in scenes that had build up, that had meaning. Something depended on them being dead or alive. The story changed as a result.

These deaths? They mean nothing whatsoever. They're just lazy, rushed, attempts to quickly close out the show with an ending for every character. I wouldn't even mind if a character or two died because battle is a chaotic mess, just randomly dead from an arrow or something. That'd be great. Just show some reactions to it, etc. But no. Characters in D&D's writing die in these fan-service "It Was Their Destiny" battles that have absolutely no meaning behind them.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.