Author Topic: 0.5.5.0: you to decide  (Read 87410 times)

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: 0.5.5.0: you to decide
« Reply #345 on: March 02, 2019, 05:31:25 pm »
How about this:

Remove most items from the shop, leave only "standard" items. Each nation will have only a single weapon in strength class and weapon type:
a single 1h weapon for 9 str
single 1h for 12 str
single 1h for 15 str, and so on
single 2h for 12 str
single 2h for 15 str, so on, you get the point

Same with ranged weapons, ammo, horses, armour, everything. Only the most common weapons stay. All other items are luxury custom items. How you get them?
(click to show/hide)
These items have various rarity, so most desirable weapons have lowest drop chance, crappy stuff which no one uses is the most common. Ultra rare stuff like boulder on a stick might be there too.
To give players more incentive to hunt for those loot boxes and use previously unused "crappy" common items, maybe buff the non-standard, shop-unavailable items by a little bit.
But why this? Regular grind is tedious and boring, especially if you calculate how much time you need to spend to get to the next item, level, loom, whatever.
Look at all the top games on Steam:

CURRENT PLAYERS   PEAK TODAY       GAME

923,097   1,000,447       Dota 2
673,072   905,755       PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
611,925   632,524       Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
100,941   117,107       Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege

What do they have in common? That's right - some kind of random drops at the end of a match. Why do people like this? I don't know, but
(click to show/hide)
Of course, it would also require a wipe since people have all the stuff they want anyway. Also, you can make drop rate scale with player score - so well performing players have a good chance to get items, trolls and delayers will remain with common gear for a long time. I think it's better motivation than multiplicator. Forever long wait divided by half is still forever long. But if your drop rate is twice us much, boy o boy I wonder what cool weapon will I get!

tl;dr wipe and loot boxes instead of grind

Offline DaveUKR

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 242
  • cRPG Player
  • Small rain lays great dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 02, 2019, 05:41:32 pm »
+1
How about this:

Remove most items from the shop, leave only "standard" items. Each nation will have only a single weapon in strength class and weapon type:
a single 1h weapon for 9 str
single 1h for 12 str
single 1h for 15 str, and so on
single 2h for 12 str
single 2h for 15 str, so on, you get the point

Same with ranged weapons, ammo, horses, armour, everything. Only the most common weapons stay. All other items are luxury custom items. How you get them?
(click to show/hide)
These items have various rarity, so most desirable weapons have lowest drop chance, crappy stuff which no one uses is the most common. Ultra rare stuff like boulder on a stick might be there too.
To give players more incentive to hunt for those loot boxes and use previously unused "crappy" common items, maybe buff the non-standard, shop-unavailable items by a little bit.
But why this? Regular grind is tedious and boring, especially if you calculate how much time you need to spend to get to the next item, level, loom, whatever.
Look at all the top games on Steam:

CURRENT PLAYERS   PEAK TODAY       GAME

923,097   1,000,447       Dota 2
673,072   905,755       PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
611,925   632,524       Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
100,941   117,107       Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege

What do they have in common? That's right - some kind of random drops at the end of a match. Why do people like this? I don't know, but
(click to show/hide)
Of course, it would also require a wipe since people have all the stuff they want anyway. Also, you can make drop rate scale with player score - so well performing players have a good chance to get items, trolls and delayers will remain with common gear for a long time. I think it's better motivation than multiplicator. Forever long wait divided by half is still forever long. But if your drop rate is twice us much, boy o boy I wonder what cool weapon will I get!

tl;dr wipe and loot boxes instead of grind

It sounds all good but lootboxes are basically a real money sink and an alternative way to get money out of the game. Since cRPG is non-commercial project, I doubt we can make it. Also, any changes in the game require a certain effort. If you're up to code it - I don't mind putting it live to test. Other than that you basically suggest me to wipe several weeks of my life coding something that may (or may not) increase population. If that was my job - I'd probably give a try, but even that would be not possible, because as far as I can judge with the info I have - cRPG's total life time's donations are yet to beat my monthly salary.

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 02, 2019, 08:27:21 pm »
#duelboycott

So deathmatch maybeee? You can convert battle into deathmatch rly easy:
-remove flag
-make it free for all instead of teams
Then replace duel mode with new deathmatch

Offline DaveUKR

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 02, 2019, 09:12:08 pm »
#duelboycott

So deathmatch maybeee? You can convert battle into deathmatch rly easy:
-remove flag
-make it free for all instead of teams
Then replace duel mode with new deathmatch

I was launching deathmatch a month ago or so and it didn't attract any pop sadly. Also deathmatch requires a new reward system which is under development.

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 02, 2019, 09:31:05 pm »
alright cool, thanks for reading and putting up with my crap

Offline Kadeth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 845
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Calradian Confederacy
  • Game nicks: kadeth
« Reply #350 on: March 02, 2019, 11:31:58 pm »
+1
there has already been plenty of discussions about wipe in the past two years and in the end, people really, really did not want it

The last thread I remember about a wipe, 53.8% voted to wipe everything, so you're just kinda wrong, sorry.

http://forum.melee.org/general-discussion/its-time-for-a-wipe/

Although I do agree it's unrealistic now, mostly because the majority of admins are strongly against it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 03, 2019, 12:10:10 am »
+1
IT IS DECIDED THEN
wipe EVERYTHING asap, no backup, no return

Offline Yeldur

• Global Head Retard
  • Duke
  • Renown: 574
  • Infamy: 189
  • cRPG Player
  • Trained by Nord BlueKnight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen, Burg Krems, Acre
  • Game nicks: ladoea, Yeldur
« Reply #352 on: March 03, 2019, 09:19:16 pm »
+1
IT IS DECIDED THEN
wipe EVERYTHING asap, no backup, no return

i know what to do, lets just wipe gurgumul's account so he think that everything is wiped and just thinks he's miles behind and that everyone else has grinded constantly and are all back up to level 35+ again

he,  the god admin.  drink the tea, not ascared to  fight in th  batefield,

Offline MeevarTheMighty

• Count
  • Renown: 242
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/
  • Faction: RDP
  • Game nicks: Genemeve et al
« Reply #353 on: March 05, 2019, 12:57:38 am »
+3
What was fun to you was also game ruining for others.

cRPG has never been balanced around small groups. And balancing was always made for large groups, that's why ranged had that amount of ammo etc.

And also specify what you mean by saying "original crpg" because cRPG had 100+ simultaneous online players since Summer of 2010.

Yeah, I probs started playing in early 2010, so I remember most of that. The iterations before the upkeep patch weren't earth shatteringly impactful. That patch, however, changed it from a long grind c-rpg to a short session beatemup with mild G8+ rpg references. Long grind c-rpgs are way better at building (and keeping) community, but donkeys wanted to try something else, with Strategus as the centrepiece. They needed to shut down old cRPG and replace it under the same, so that they could use the community as a playerbase, but these were basically two different games, using the same assets and branding.

chadz once brought up that he realised that this wouldn't work universally and was killing the smaller communities and was toying with the idea of re-releasing old cRPG, but felt he would have to release the code to the public, since donkeys didn't have time to manage two projects. However, doing this would mean that he couldn't control where official pre-upkeep cRPG servers were hosted, so they could pop up in regions that had a healthy pop and leech a large % of the upkeep cRPG playerbase. For this reason, nothing happened.

YOU have time though, daveUKR! YOU seem NICE! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Honestly idk that it would even help now, but it would have to have a better chance than what we've got now, which seems like just inane lv 35 circlejerk hangouts with no real motivation to play. I have something like 20 highish level characters and much as I love cRPG, I want to play it right now like I want a hole in the head, so good luck getting new players with minor tweaks and balance.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 01:03:08 am by MeevarTheMighty »

Offline DaveUKR

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 05, 2019, 09:43:29 am »
+3
so good luck getting new players with minor tweaks and balance.

Well, thole whole interesting post gets fucked with one last sentence. The biggest problem is communication with playerbase, I put out so much info that players simply don't care to read/remember it. You included. Yet they criticize. It was said numerous times throughout last 2-3 months that reward system is going to change. We're also working on WSE2, something that hasn't been touched by anyone besides cmp. Many mechanics were added/changed/fixed. I, myself, made more changes in cRPG during last 3 months than cRPG had since 2012. It is really difficult to build things when we don't even have a real team.

Such posts look more like "I have nostalgia, now I'm bored and have no motivation to play, entertain me". And I have a simple response: help with it. I will gladly accept your help in any useful form (besides money, I don't touch that topic). We lack pretty much everyone, if you're capable in anything - you can help.

Offline Tristan_of_Erzoth

• Game Admin
  • Renown: 1000
  • Infamy: 217
  • cRPG Player
  • I dont know
    • View Profile
    • steam id
  • Faction: Calradian Confederacy
  • Game nicks: Tristan_of_Erzoth, Sorcerer_Tholamin, Big_Dick_McCallister
  • IRC nick: wtf is an IRC
« Reply #355 on: March 05, 2019, 02:58:37 pm »
+1
Tbh we need a person on the dev team whose sole purpose is community liason and the other devs just never go on the forums or in discord so they don't have to read the shit cRPG players post. The community guy just filters all the useless dribble from useful feedback and posts updates for the community

http://steamcommunity.com/id/evilmagic/

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 05, 2019, 05:16:12 pm »
+1
The biggest problem is communication with playerbase, I put out so much info that players simply don't care to read/remember it. You included. Yet they criticize. It was said numerous times throughout last 2-3 months that reward system is going to change.
If so many peolpe independently don't notice important stuff, maybe it's not their fault, but whoever manages that information. Put those new where the countdown to Melee Battlegrounds was, maybe in that area under your posts, the space under that horizontal line, you know what I'm talking about. And if you really want people to read, make a window pop up every time someone visits the forum, in that window will be the information, and to close the window, the forum user has to take a multiple choice test. For victory, they can close the window, for getting more than 1 question wrong, wipe their account.

Tbh we need a person on the dev team whose sole purpose is community liason and the other devs just never go on the forums or in discord so they don't have to read the shit cRPG players post. The community guy just filters all the useless dribble from useful feedback and posts updates for the community
I nominate Yuhmaz

Offline Yeldur

• Global Head Retard
  • Duke
  • Renown: 574
  • Infamy: 189
  • cRPG Player
  • Trained by Nord BlueKnight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen, Burg Krems, Acre
  • Game nicks: ladoea, Yeldur
« Reply #357 on: March 05, 2019, 06:47:48 pm »
+1
I nominate Yuhmaz

can't filter useless dribble if everything IS useless dribble  :D :D :D :D :D

he,  the god admin.  drink the tea, not ascared to  fight in th  batefield,

Offline MeevarTheMighty

• Count
  • Renown: 242
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/
  • Faction: RDP
  • Game nicks: Genemeve et al
« Reply #358 on: March 07, 2019, 03:46:43 pm »
Well, thole whole interesting post gets fucked with one last sentence.

Eh, I know it sounds negative/harsh. Honestly I'm not really criticizing though - I'm truly amazed by your efforts and the ground you've covered in a short time. Just trying to offer a different perspective, since I know that it's easy to get bogged down in relatively trivial details and wonder why it feels like pushing against the tide.

I think atm, specifically paying attention to making it a better small pop. experience is going to give better immediate results than trying to make it a better general experience.

Such posts look more like "I have nostalgia, now I'm bored and have no motivation to play, entertain me". And I have a simple response: help with it. I will gladly accept your help in any useful form (besides money, I don't touch that topic). We lack pretty much everyone, if you're capable in anything - you can help.

I certainly don't have any expectation that you'll turn it into something I want to play and even if you do somehow make it great again, I don't have the time to be active these days. Just giving my two cents, since as an outsider, there seem to be some glaring problems and I do wish you the best.

Offline Larvae

• Count
  • Renown: 233
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Barabe
  • Game nicks: Barabe_Larvae
« Reply #359 on: March 20, 2019, 03:53:00 pm »
it is so silent,what happened ?

- Through actions,a man becomes a hero. - Through death,a hero becomes a legend. - Through time,a legend becomes a myth. - And by learning from the myth,a man takes action -