Author Topic: The Shielder Class  (Read 3093 times)

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
The Shielder Class
« on: September 27, 2018, 01:47:49 pm »
In this post I will try to cover some of the myths and facts that are around the shielder class. Most of my observations will be based on my experience from cRPG battle, but some historical facts will also be highlighted. It will not be an "all I say is right" but just the considerations and experiences I have acquired after playing shielder since 2012.

Let's first briefly look at the actual historical part.
In history, shields were most used for defense. Thus, not saying that a shielder never carries an attack, on the contrary. Think of the massive advantage you have when thinking about projectiles and several simultaneous incidents, you can push yourself into the crowd while thinking only of your sides and rear (hopefully covered by your mates).
But generally historically, shielding was mostly defensive. No doubt about it.

Now let's go over to video games.
One of the primary rules of thumb in the development of video games is: "gameplay> realism". I.e. that realism is good and adds a certain amount of positives to gameplay. Too much realism and gameplay is broken. Those who are able to balance these have a near perfect game.

I have read a few comments here on forum that sounds: "Shielder is boring", "Shielder is weak" and the like.
I am aware that these opinions are relative, but I would still venture out on this deep water of allegations. In lack of better term, I call these allegations strawmen, players who find shielder dull or weak have obviously not yet played enough to recognize the strength and weakness of the class. What do I mean by that?
If you think that shielders are a defensive class (in cRPG) you are in my eyes incorrect and I really understand where "shielder is boring" comes from. Shielder is far from a defensive class in cRPG battles. A shielder, like in reality, can block several simultaneous incoming attacks. It is not meant that you will be behind with your shield up and believe that will win you the round, by no means. The shielder class's strength in cRPG is in clusterfights: You threw into the biggest lump of enemies, kites and chop on the vulnerable and when you lack an overview, use shield and backpedal while you freelook, these are luxuries a player without shield does not have, a player without a shield has to focus on blocking. If you think this gameplay is boring and weak, I think you're playing the wrong game.

If you think that polearms is offensive, you (IMO) again make a mistake. Granted, theres some offensive use for polearms in battle, but generally speaking, a pike or other long spear is a defensive weapon (again, we are talking cRPG) no matter how you twist and turn it. The strength lies in being able to support formation and / or break cav.

My dream army should consist of 50% shields, 20% range, 15% pikes, 10% cav and 5% other polearms / 2h shitlords.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-a-good-melee-weapon-for-medieval-defense-against-multiple-assailants
Offensive use of viking shield: https://youtu.be/eNhMpiTSRFA
(wall of text, but interesting) https://myarmoury.com/feature_shield.html

(Go_ogleĀ® translate was used)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 01:51:40 pm by Sniger »

Offline Nickleback

• Hero of The Chamber of Tears
  • Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 263
  • cRPG Player
  • Sheogorath -a Daedra Lord
    • View Profile
Re: The Shielder Class
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 07:45:52 pm »
this absurd review of shields history gave me a true cringe.your superficial information about shields in the past made me giggle,your understanding and feeble in game assumptions of shielders is even more disgusting,too low/degenerate read,all that needs to be said about this long thread is calling u in ur name but putting an article "a" before it.

-you are a sfriend.

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 07:58:22 pm »
kk, thanks for your input buddy

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 07:47:06 pm »
Roman army equipped with shields and short swords trounced most other opponents.  Sword was used to stab under the shield.  Not possible in this game.