Author Topic: NA 1v1/Duel Tournament! Prizes/Rules Confirmed!  (Read 188297 times)

Offline Tristan_of_Erzoth

• Renown: 1000
  • Infamy: 217
  • cRPG Player
  • I dont know
    • View Profile
    • steam id
  • Faction: Calradian Confederacy
  • Game nicks: Tristan_of_Erzoth, Sorcerer_Tholamin, Big_Dick_McCallister
  • IRC nick: wtf is an IRC
Re: NA 1v1/Duel Tournament! Prizes/Rules Confirmed!
« Reply #135 on: October 09, 2018, 10:55:19 am »
+4
pupster 7

monster energy 5
was a good duel gamer

Is there anything more beautiful than two brothers in arms putting their whole soul into a righteous duel?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

http://steamcommunity.com/id/evilmagic/

Offline bensai

• Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 630
  • Infamy: 72
  • cRPG Player
  • Bᴏxɪɴɢ Cʜᴀᴍᴘ #ᴄRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Frisia
  • Game nicks: assington
« Reply #136 on: October 09, 2018, 04:04:22 pm »
+1
good fights laddos

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #137 on: October 09, 2018, 04:48:45 pm »
+2
pupster 7

monster energy 5

Thus falls the bravest of gamers...

INTO THE LOWER BRACKET! WATCH OUT MOFUCKAHS!

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline bensai

• Strategus Councillor
  • cRPG Player
  • Bᴏxɪɴɢ Cʜᴀᴍᴘ #ᴄRPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 09, 2018, 11:25:40 pm »
assington thrashed by nikkle

bracket update

IF YOU ARE IN THE LOWER BRACKET PLEASE CONTINUE TO COMMUNICATE UNTIL YOU ARE OUT

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 10, 2018, 04:00:00 am »

Offline bensai

• Strategus Councillor
  • cRPG Player
  • Bᴏxɪɴɢ Cʜᴀᴍᴘ #ᴄRPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 10, 2018, 04:07:26 am »
AFTER AN INTENSE DISCUSSION WITH NIKKLE WHO WAS VERY SCARED OF ME WINNING THE LOWER BRACKET AND COMING BACK FOR REVENGE, I HAVE DECIDED THIS FOR THE CONCLUSION OF THE FINALS:

I HAVE HEARD CONCERNS FROM SEVERAL PLAYERS OVER THE IDEA OF SOMEONE WHO HAS LOST A MATCH BEING ABLE TO COMPETE IN THE FINALS AND BEAT SOMEONE WHO HAS TECHNICALLY NOT LOST A SINGLE MATCH AS NOT BEING FAIR.

I AGREE

HERE IS THE NEW POLICY:
THE FINALS WILL BE A SERIES OF 3 FT7'S TO ENSURE THE UPPER BRACKET WINNER WHO COMPETES IN THE FINAL GETS A CHANCE TO LOSE WITHOUT BEING KNOCKED OUT, JUST LIKE THEIR OPPONENT HAD.
IF THE TWO CONTESTANTS IN THE FINALS MATCH HAD FOUGHT EARLIER IN THE TOURNAMENT, AND ONE HAD KNOCKED OUT THE OTHER, THAT PRIOR MATCH WILL COUNT AS 1 OF THE 3 FT7'S.

EX. IF I WERE TO WIN THE LOWER BRACKET AND FIGHT NIKKLE IN THE FINALS, AND I WERE TO WIN THE FIRST FT7 WE PLAY FOR THE FINALS, THE SCORE WOULD BE 1-1 SINCE WE FOUGHT EARLIER AND HE BEAT ME.

IF SITVEK WERE TO BE THE WINNER OF THE UPPER BRACKET AND FIGHT ME AS THE WINNER OF THE LOWER BRACKET IN THE FINALS, WE WOULD FIGHT OUT 3, NEW FT7'S

I HOPE THIS MAKES SENSE THANKS FOR READING

Offline Zeus_

• The Best Caboose
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 447
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HoC
  • Game nicks: Zeus
  • IRC nick: Zeus?
« Reply #141 on: October 10, 2018, 04:52:13 am »
(click to show/hide)

lol, i didnt even look at the second half of the bracket and assumed it was already structured like this.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 10, 2018, 04:24:21 pm »
+1
(click to show/hide)

This seemingly makes it harder for the person in the upper bracket to win compared to normal double elimination rules. With regular (FGC) rules, the person on "winners side" of grand finals needs to beat the person coming from "losers side" only once, while the player already in losers needs to beat the other player once to put them into losers and "reset the bracket" and then again to eliminate them from the tournament (since it's double elimination).

With your method the winner would also have to win twice if they haven't already dueled, which puts them on even footing with the player coming from losers. Not to mention the player coming from losers would technically be "triple eliminated."

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Novamere

• Duke
  • Renown: 599
  • Infamy: 273
  • cRPG Player
  • Feed me your tears!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Knightmare_
« Reply #143 on: October 10, 2018, 04:45:42 pm »
+1
DUMB cant change rules mid tourny

Offline bensai

• Strategus Councillor
  • cRPG Player
  • Bᴏxɪɴɢ Cʜᴀᴍᴘ #ᴄRPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 10, 2018, 07:15:55 pm »
This seemingly makes it harder for the person in the upper bracket to win compared to normal double elimination rules. With regular (FGC) rules, the person on "winners side" of grand finals needs to beat the person coming from "losers side" only once, while the player already in losers needs to beat the other player once to put them into losers and "reset the bracket" and then again to eliminate them from the tournament (since it's double elimination).

With your method the winner would also have to win twice if they haven't already dueled, which puts them on even footing with the player coming from losers. Not to mention the player coming from losers would technically be "triple eliminated."

That is somewhat so, but I'm not simply trying to make the final judgement on who yoinked the most wins/least eliminations; the point of having the 3 series of FT7's for the finals is to give both fighters a fair chance to feel each other out and adapt to prove they are capable of bettering the other by finding out their tendencies and using their knowledge of the game to overcome them. Maybe if you were an elite warriors you would understand

With the current layout provided by Challonge, the winner of the upper bracket, who goes on to fight the winner of the losers bracket for first place, is completely eliminated upon losing their first match. The bracket doesn't reset, that player is out, and they didn't get a second chance unlike their opponent.

Having a series of 3 FT7's for the finals somewhat remedies this by giving the winner of the upper bracket more chances, but also giving more chances to the lower bracket winner. The difference is that in my method the winner of the upper bracket gets at least 2 chances, while the winner of the lower bracket had 3 total. That is much more fair in my eyes considering my first statements.

How about you go fight Ogerp and stop being a fucking lame ass hornblower you fucking normie

DUMB cant change rules mid tourny

i can do what I want im the bigdog sorry u got knocked out xddd
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 07:19:30 pm by bensai »

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 10, 2018, 07:22:28 pm »
Agree with knightmare that changing the rules is pretty not-okay, and I still don't see what you're doing here other than giving the lower bracket player an advantage since they can now lose twice and still be in the tournament. Every double elimination bracket uses the same ruleset that I just proposed, as having the winners bracket and losers bracket play a single match is unfair to the player coming from winners. Even past crpg tournaments used the bracket reset format, and even though it was my team that was blindsided by it (since it wasn't explicitly in the rules beforehand and we got fucked over due to the other team respeccing between sets) it was the proper way to run the bracket, so no hard feelings. For anyone that follows competitive games (primarily in the FGC), they know how a double elimination bracket works.

Offline BlackPanda

• Count
  • Renown: 244
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • USA
  • Faction: Calradian Confederacy
  • Game nicks: BlackPanda \ blubbernugget
  • IRC nick: BlackPanda
« Reply #146 on: October 10, 2018, 07:32:18 pm »
+2
I like what assignton added tbh, and it dosent really matter if he changed rules mid tourney if the rule he changed is about the last duel which no one is at right now. Also who cares how previous tourneys have been run when most of them sucked ass.

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #147 on: October 10, 2018, 07:43:51 pm »
Assington Good

TOURNAMENT GOOD

COMPLAINS BAD

Offline bensai

• Strategus Councillor
  • cRPG Player
  • Bᴏxɪɴɢ Cʜᴀᴍᴘ #ᴄRPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 10, 2018, 07:59:52 pm »
+2
Agree with knightmare that changing the rules is pretty not-okay, and I still don't see what you're doing here other than giving the lower bracket player an advantage since they can now lose twice and still be in the tournament. Every double elimination bracket uses the same ruleset that I just proposed, as having the winners bracket and losers bracket play a single match is unfair to the player coming from winners. Even past crpg tournaments used the bracket reset format, and even though it was my team that was blindsided by it (since it wasn't explicitly in the rules beforehand and we got fucked over due to the other team respeccing between sets) it was the proper way to run the bracket, so no hard feelings. For anyone that follows competitive games (primarily in the FGC), they know how a double elimination bracket works.

Sorry I must be a simpleton with no understanding of fair and unfair because of a proposed change that effects nothing but the longevity and intensity of the final, it was only several upper bracket players who came to me saying the existing system was unfair, so I was listening to them and generally understood what they were saying.

To say that because the bracket method works alright in one game or a previous tournament even in cRPG may not mean it's the best for this tournament. I, and several other players, I would say are pretty skilled and should have a say in how the tourney plays out for them, find that the way skill based combat works in cRPG for FT7's inclines me to consider this change fair.

Further, I would remind a lot of people that this tourney is mainly being used to see how effective the scheduling/stage system can work with proper enforcement, scheduling, and event coordination. I wanted to give players who are new to cRPG, or even Warband (and there are plenty of those players in the tourney) a chance to get a feel for it. I'm glad people are taking it competitively and having fun, and I hope they understand that the change I made for the finals is for both competition and enjoyment.

No one is getting fucked by this change as far as I can tell.

The only reward here that is "high stake" by any means is the title, which will hopefully be passed on to the winners of another tourney we can have a month or so after the conclusion of this one.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 10, 2018, 09:46:23 pm »
+2
No one is getting fucked by this change as far as I can tell.

The person going into grand finals from winners side has to win an extra match now, and the person coming from losers gets a freebie if they lose. In other words, there is no benefit to having no dropped sets so long as you make it to grands.

I don't exactly foresee myself being affected by this rule change, but at least for next time you should maintain a consistent ruleset and not go changing it mid-tourney.