Author Topic: Can we get a real leveling system revert? Please and thank you  (Read 6179 times)

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
Re: Can we get a real leveling system revert? Please and thank you
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 05:46:15 pm »
I'm confused. Before levels were too high and it was game breaking. It is reset back and now there is no such thing as hybrids somehow and builds arent a thing??? Just because you cant get 150 WPF in two weapon catagories doesnt mean it isn't viable. I've played the last 6 gens with under 30 WPF and I've been doing fine
I have never had 150 wpf in 2 weapon categories even on Asheram who was lvl 37, before they nerfed hx I had 133 wpf in polearm and like 80-90 in xbow.
And hybrid builds are pretty much all I have ever played, I remember what hybrids were like pre-pod, was 15/18 hx and have no interest going back to that. Have fun with your all star melee.
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Tristan_of_Erzoth

• Game Admin
  • Renown: 1000
  • Infamy: 217
  • cRPG Player
  • I dont know
    • View Profile
    • steam id
  • Faction: Calradian Confederacy
  • Game nicks: Tristan_of_Erzoth, Sorcerer_Tholamin, Big_Dick_McCallister
  • IRC nick: wtf is an IRC
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 05:02:14 am »
+1
I have never had 150 wpf in 2 weapon categories even on Asheram who was lvl 37, before they nerfed hx I had 133 wpf in polearm and like 80-90 in xbow.
And hybrid builds are pretty much all I have ever played, I remember what hybrids were like pre-pod, was 15/18 hx and have no interest going back to that. Have fun with your all star melee.

Bruh I had a level 37 crossbowman as well and you could do 100xbow WPF and 120ish 1h which is pretty fucking sick. My build was 7if/7ps/7shield/7ath/7wm. That shit was way too OP man. Now my build is 22/17 with 7if with 7if/7ps/5wm/5ath/5shield and I'm only level 32 (200k out from 33) which will let me have 6 WM. Right now I'm at 110 1h and 86 xbow. IDK exactly what it'll be at after i level again but probably about 100 xbow as well. If you are level 33 I literally can't see how hybrid isn't viable. Swap out shield for power draw, power throw, riding, etc and then switch out WPF in xbow for archery/throwing/polearms/whatever you want.

Build
(click to show/hide)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

http://steamcommunity.com/id/evilmagic/

Offline Asheram

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 05:34:55 am »
have fun
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

• Game Admin
  • cRPG Player
  • I dont know
    • View Profile
    • steam id
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 05:37:17 am »
+1
have fun

What a weak response. I don't know how people didn't realize that lowering the levels would mean fewer skill points. Personally I never advocated for a level reduction because I didn't really care but literally EVERYONE was screaming for it and now you're all complaining because now you are a lower level.

Offline Asheram

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 05:39:24 am »
What a weak response. I don't know how people didn't realize that lowering the levels would mean fewer skill points. Personally I never advocated for a level reduction because I didn't really care but literally EVERYONE was screaming for it and now you're all complaining because now you are a lower level.
I already gave you my response before you replied to me about morphing what I like into what you like.
PENDULUM

• Game Admin
  • cRPG Player
  • I dont know
    • View Profile
    • steam id
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 05:40:33 am »
I already gave you my response before you replied to me about morphing what I like into what you like.

Your response was "hybrids arent a valid thing because of the soft level cap" I made a post with proof showing that you very easily can have a hybrid build. Your response was to say I had an "all star melee build and to have fun with it".

Offline Asheram

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 05:42:01 am »
Your response was "hybrids arent a valid thing because of the soft level cap" I made a post with proof showing that you very easily can have a hybrid build. Your response was to say I had an "all star melee build and to have fun with it".
You didnt prove anything to me because that is all I ever played before patch of destiny sorry it doesnt fit into what you think I should find enjoyable.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 05:50:50 am by Asheram »
PENDULUM

• Game Admin
  • cRPG Player
  • I dont know
    • View Profile
    • steam id
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2017, 05:48:03 am »
You didnt prove anything to me because that is all I ever played before patch of destiny sorry it doesnt fit into what you think I should find enjoyable.

You literally aren't making any sense. You're mad that 15/18 isnt a good build? Thats not very shocking to me man, that build wasn't even good pre-POD. You're mad that hybrid aren't "viable"? They very clearly are. Maybe I'm missing some core part of your argument can you explain it to me better so I can understand your point of view?

Offline Asheram

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2017, 05:50:56 am »
Anyhow beyond all that the only build I really enjoyed was Gunanruns 12/33 lvl 34 4 throwing 11 athletics and 8 wpf well i made it to 16 gens and went to 35 and added 3 ps with stones and sai or hafted blade and that will never again be possible so the point is moot. And I never ran anyone across the map forever.

Maybe I am missing your idea of a hybrid you probably think putting points into melee as an archer is a "hybrid"
PENDULUM

• Game Admin
  • cRPG Player
  • I dont know
    • View Profile
    • steam id
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2017, 05:57:58 am »
+1
Anyhow beyond all that the only build I really enjoyed was Gunanruns 12/33 lvl 34 4 throwing 11 athletics and 8 wpf well i made it to 16 gens and went to 35 and added 3 ps with stones and sai or hafted blade and that will never again be possible so the point is moot. And I never ran anyone across the map forever.

Maybe I am missing your idea of a hybrid you probably think putting points into melee as an archer is a "hybrid"

A hybrid is a class that can play multiple rolls. The build I posted is a "hybrid" because I can hang back and do ranged with my crossbow, or I can join the front lines as a shieldman and do team fighting. Two very different forms of gameplay. I think your idea of a "hybrid" is being able to able to use any weapon on one character which isn't really feasible and hasn't ever been.

Offline Asheram

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2017, 06:08:19 am »
A hybrid is a class that can play multiple rolls. The build I posted is a "hybrid" because I can hang back and do ranged with my crossbow, or I can join the front lines as a shieldman and do team fighting. Two very different forms of gameplay. I think your idea of a "hybrid" is being able to able to use any weapon on one character which isn't really feasible and hasn't ever been.
you do realize you need no points to use that crossbow right?
PENDULUM

• Game Admin
  • cRPG Player
  • I dont know
    • View Profile
    • steam id
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2017, 07:05:13 am »
+1
you do realize you need no points to use that crossbow right?

You also don't need points to use 1h/2h/polearm?

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2017, 12:54:36 pm »
+4
a completely new leveling system
You keep saying "completely new xp system" as if we just changed to the lvl system of Diablo2 or CoD. The pod leveling system allowed too powerful builds and the old one was too grindy, the new one seems to give a good balance between leveling up and high level builds, but in the end we can only really say if it works or not after testing it for a while. I'm currently working my way up from lvl1 and with lvl22 I can already be a threat for high level builds what I've experienced so far

Having just one more level makes all the difference in available playstyles, and by extension having 2 or 3 more is even more impactful
I don't understand what you're trying to say there. Do you mean it's good that a trillion xp character should have a huge advantage compared to a normal highlevel char? Trillion xp characters should have a slight advantage over high level chars, they shouldn't be able to stomp them into the ground. Everybody who starts new would have to spend months into this game to even be a threat to old players, and that only statswise

This patch makes one of those decisions significantly better than the other, while giving everyone who chose the other path absolutely nothing in return for their lost investment.
With a partial wipe people would be able to regain their looms with a couple of retirements, that's no big deal.

They shouldn't have asked if we wanted something entirely different and then pass the new system off as "something we all voted for."
You're acting as if people had betrayed you, there was plenty of discussion about all of this both on the forums and discord.

The point of this patch is to weaken high-level builds that can abuse the combat system, and to lessen the effects of "OP" items.
Same mindset as chadz/cmp, you are true successor indeed. Mindset being: take away the fun from players.
The "I want my puppystomper-mod"-fun? The kind of fun which is only fun for the people who are using that exact build? If you mean that its sad that there arent high agi headshot stone thrower or shield/knife/high athl lolbuilds, then good riddance.

So many words being said, best cRPG was unrestrained cRPG which was closest to vanilla mechanics.
jesus Christ, I never ever want to go back to that madness. Can't you remember how much whining there was in the forums about the mechanics? Nothing was working well in 2011, all that archer kiting, roofmonkeys (and no flags to counter them), ladderhighways on siege, the ez win cav builds with the old lance stabbing angles, native is still a crazy rangefest up to this very day. Only thing I miss from 2011 is ladderpulting  :lol:

Jona, some constructive feedback would help way more than all this subjective arguing and finger-pointing, it's already impressive that we even got people who still invest a lot of time in trying to fix this ancient mod. What do you think would be best for the mod to do?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 01:00:13 pm by Ikarus »

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2017, 01:16:41 pm »
Damn that is a lot of words. You guys should put this effort into playing the game!

Professor and Dupre are working on some changes to help make hybrid builds more viable while still keeping the new level system, stay tuned!

Offline Nightingale

• Balancer
  • Renown: 925
  • Infamy: 205
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Elderly Woman
  • IRC nick: Nightingale
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2017, 08:13:31 am »
+3
Couple of points to be made here.

The new level system has a few flaws.

1) Skip the fun (level 31) *zero grind* has at most 2 attribute and skill points less than a person that spent years and years grinding XP. It make's us oldies a bit sore when we look at this way (4 years of grinding XP) vs (1 click of a button) benefits? - 2 attribute points and skill points over the (click of the button). So, all in all, we could have all been retiring for 4 years accumulating more and more looms and that would have been more logical *if this XP system remains unchanged*

2) the soft cap is a bit too extreme if you create a line-graph that compares the 3 sets of xp systems you'll see that the new one escalates very rapidly in an unrealistic manner that makes it leveling past level 31 basically out of the question. There are no real benefits from this course of action anymore and everyone is better off retiring/ skipping the fun.

3) I too feel the soreness of Ashram's/Jona's argument as I am in the same boat. *not that we can't adapt or alter our builds of choice*
Years and years ago probably 2013 I made the choice that retirement was no longer relevant to my character and the only way to continue with a sense of progression was to go beyond level 31 (retirement level) So I did just that. At the time the Patch of destiny came out I was level 35 and shot up to level 37 nearing level 38 (nearing as in like half way there lol) Now I was never a fan of having all of those extra skill points and always viewed it as a mod breaking thing having SO many extra points to play around with. So I definitely see what you are trying to do with this new XP system and I am not opposed to reducing the total amount of points a build can utilize.

That is a good goal to have; though with that said the majority of us are not new. The majority of us have made specific decisions regarding our characters many years ago and this system is effectively punishing those choices we made many many years ago I could understand why that would make the oldest of us a bit frustrated.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 08:19:28 am by Nightingale »