Author Topic: c-RPG Pro-Database Wipe Assembly [No polls, written opinions.]  (Read 15169 times)

Offline BlackFysh

• Knight
  • Renown: 25
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • "Bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks" - Elmo
    • View Profile
Re: c-RPG Pro-Database Wipe Assembly [No polls, written opinions.]
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2017, 10:19:45 pm »
+1
I'm down with a wipe. 

Offline RD_Professor

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 718
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
  • goon
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2017, 04:00:49 am »
+3
Speaking of strat, we should just go back to the one map model instead of dividing NA/EU. The times were much simpler then. At this point, neither side has much of a population so this would work for everyone.
I already had spaghetti for dinner, no thanks.

In all seriousness, with respect to wiping, my current thoughts are that players should be able to recover what they had pre-wipe, over time. A compromise I've drummed up is one where everyone's characters are all retired, regardless of level. Except for loomed items/heirloom points, which are made inaccessible, all equipment is wiped from the database. When a character retires, they are able to 'recover' and access some portion of their loomed items and heirloom points.

With that system, there would be a time where literally everyone is naked, running around with peasant weapons, but players who have sunk a huge amount of time into acquiring looms/generations in this game would not see their progress destroyed.

I'd love to hear thoughts on this compromise.

by the way the point of this compromise is that players gain back their loomed items/heirlooms as they retire characters. so, for instance, if player A retires a character, then he gets 1/4 (number is just placeholder) of the heirlooms he had prior to the wipe back.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 04:23:27 am by RD_Professor »
shoot me on discord or real life

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2017, 04:20:18 am »
+1

In all seriousness, with respect to wiping, my current thoughts are that players should be able to recover what they had pre-wipe, over time. A compromise I've drummed up is one where everyone's characters are all retired, regardless of level. Except for loomed items/heirloom points, which are made inaccessible, all equipment is wiped from the database. When a character retires, they are able to 'recover' and access some portion of their loomed items and heirloom points.

With that system, there would be a time where literally everyone is naked, running around with peasant weapons, but players who have sunk a huge amount of time into acquiring looms/generations in this game would not see their progress destroyed.

Interesting, I think people love their beloved looms too much though to part with them a bit. I also think that a lot of people don't want to grind again, period. However, I don't think the future of the mod should be held back by people stuck in the past or who have already attained maximum status. There's also the other side though of potentially losing loyal followers of the mod, dooming it further. We'll have to see what the general consensus looks like.

Offline Farrix

• Baron
  • Renown: 122
  • Infamy: 77
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2017, 06:55:19 am »
+1

by the way the point of this compromise is that players gain back their loomed items/heirlooms as they retire characters. so, for instance, if player A retires a character, then he gets 1/4 (number is just placeholder) of the heirlooms he had prior to the wipe back.

I appreciate the search for a middle ground. I can tell you from my perspective that If my gens, my looms, and my current level 37 main were taken from me, I would be incredibly pissed and my desire and love for this mod would be removed from my conciousness. 160 million experience to get to my level. 160 million fuckin experience. Think about how many hours that is. I could have retired like 30 fuckin times. 30 loom points. You are entertaining the thought of taking our base, the core players that still consider this mod to be a main game, taking those players and saying to them: forsake your years of dedication. forsake your hours of gameplay. Forsake everything that you strove for over those years. Forsake it all because it breeds a possibility that some new players may start.

Yes our population is down. Yes we are getting to the end of this mod's wonderful life. But the solution to this is not in alienating the core base of players and asking us to sacrifice all the time we have dedicated towards the mod for the gamble that it may bring some new players in. James is absolutely correct when he says that we should focus on fixing the problems which caused the decline. These problems were not too many high level players. Us maxed out players love fighting each other. The problems were a lack of a dev team and a lack of fixes for clear problems. Give us updates. Give us patches. These will be a much more reliable method of bringing back more of our maxed out players who we all love fighting with. If it's advertised as James suggests, it can even bring in new players.

Give us some maintenance. This is the first solution we should attempt rather than running the risk of alienating all of the base players who still love the game. A wipe is an absolute last ditch solution and I refuse to admit that we are at that point. Not until we attempt some lower risk solutions.

Offline RD_Professor

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 718
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
  • goon
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2017, 08:41:08 am »
+3
I appreciate the search for a middle ground. I can tell you from my perspective that If my gens, my looms, and my current level 37 main were taken from me, I would be incredibly pissed and my desire and love for this mod would be removed from my conciousness. 160 million experience to get to my level. 160 million fuckin experience. Think about how many hours that is. I could have retired like 30 fuckin times. 30 loom points. You are entertaining the thought of taking our base, the core players that still consider this mod to be a main game, taking those players and saying to them: forsake your years of dedication. forsake your hours of gameplay. Forsake everything that you strove for over those years. Forsake it all because it breeds a possibility that some new players may start.

Yes our population is down. Yes we are getting to the end of this mod's wonderful life. But the solution to this is not in alienating the core base of players and asking us to sacrifice all the time we have dedicated towards the mod for the gamble that it may bring some new players in. James is absolutely correct when he says that we should focus on fixing the problems which caused the decline. These problems were not too many high level players. Us maxed out players love fighting each other. The problems were a lack of a dev team and a lack of fixes for clear problems. Give us updates. Give us patches. These will be a much more reliable method of bringing back more of our maxed out players who we all love fighting with. If it's advertised as James suggests, it can even bring in new players.

Give us some maintenance. This is the first solution we should attempt rather than running the risk of alienating all of the base players who still love the game. A wipe is an absolute last ditch solution and I refuse to admit that we are at that point. Not until we attempt some lower risk solutions.

To be clear, the idea I have is a "temporary wipe". Players would retire 3-4 (or some number, could even be 1) times and, by that point, have all their looms back. Yes, it's going to take some time to get back to that state. But, this gives us the opportunity to try something new, or at least something that hasn't been done in years. In my opinion, that's exciting. It's interesting. It's something that can pull in players, old and new. Most importantly, it is temporary, especially so if servers are set to x2 XP.

Additionally, I support some form of wiping in order to fix a problem with cRPG: the lack of goals. For some players, once you get 40-50 looms or so, there just isn't much of a point in playing. With a wipe, these players can once again have goals to attain. Ideally, strat will be fixed, and the endgame of cRPG will be improved, but until that happens, a temporary fix is better than no fix at all.

Of course, I'm also working on other solutions to problems that cRPG has. After I get a response from chadz, the next major patch should be about ready to go.
shoot me on discord or real life

Offline Farrix

• Baron
  • Renown: 122
  • Infamy: 77
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2017, 09:22:20 am »
+1
all I'm saying is that before we attempt any type of wipe (also notice the high level would be gone with any wipe, looms being temp or not) we oughta try out james' idea and see if just the regular maintenance that we are currently striving for will be enough to bring in some more players. Lets give that a shot before we commit to such an extreme measure.

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2017, 10:42:12 am »
+8
I can tell you from my perspective that If my gens, my looms, and my current level 37 main were taken from me, I would be incredibly pissed and my desire and love for this mod would be removed from my conciousness. 160 million experience to get to my level. 160 million fuckin experience. Think about how many hours that is. I could have retired like 30 fuckin times. 30 loom points. You are entertaining the thought of taking our base, the core players that still consider this mod to be a main game, taking those players and saying to them: forsake your years of dedication. forsake your hours of gameplay. Forsake everything that you strove for over those years. Forsake it all because it breeds a possibility that some new players may start.

Not taking any sides in this conversation but....all of that was already taken from you, since the mod is pretty much dead and as it stands - you'll never again in this life (or another) enjoy your 160 million of fucking experience grinded out in some obscure mod that no one in their right minds ever fucking heard of.
Just look at it this way: you're an obese 160-fucking-kg corpse who ate himself to death during his stay in Calradia and who's place now is in the graveyard.....and while you're rotting in the ground these few enthusiastic necromancers come along and offer you a unique chance to be a nice slim-fit zombie and play some mini-games with other slim-fit zombies that are also being resurrected for this occasion plus a possibility of fresh new corpses that might come along the way and make it even more interesting. What would you pick ? Stay rotting in the ground or rise up and play, even tho you cant be a 160-fucking-kg monster anymore ? Being forsaken may not necessarily mean to be a bad thing.
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline the real god emperor

• King
  • Renown: 1630
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
    • Click for gifts
  • Faction: Rome
  • Game nicks: Captain_Sweden
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2017, 10:59:21 am »
+1
Not taking any sides in this conversation but....all of that was already taken from you, since the mod is pretty much dead and as it stands - you'll never again in this life (or another) enjoy your 160 million of fucking experience grinded out in some obscure mod that no one in their right minds ever fucking heard of.
Just look at it this way: you're an obese 160-fucking-kg corpse who ate himself to death during his stay in Calradia and who's place now is in the graveyard.....and while you're rotting in the ground these few enthusiastic necromancers come along and offer you a unique chance to be a nice slim-fit zombie and play some mini-games with other slim-fit zombies that are also being resurrected for this occasion plus a possibility of fresh new corpses that might come along the way and make it even more interesting. What would you pick ? Stay rotting in the ground or rise up and play, even tho you cant be a 160-fucking-kg monster anymore ? Being forsaken may not necessarily mean to be a bad thing.

spooky

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2017, 11:27:00 am »
+6
So there was a huge storm/earthquake and everybody lost their awesome, soul-bound equipment and now old knights are searching for their parts and youngsters are trying to create their own gear because war is now slowly crawling back into the lands

That'd actually make a great plot for a rpg, count me in

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2017, 01:14:09 pm »

A much better idea than wiping years of progress for the entire community. This type of compromise I would support.

Offline Bronto

• Head NA admin
  • King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2017, 02:19:50 pm »
+2
As the saying goes, you can't put the cart before the horse. In my mind these are the things that need to happen before we tackle any type of wiping: push a successful patch (which you're working on I know), fix dtv xp, and fix strat.

After these things have been fixed, then we worry about player base and whether or not a wipe would be good. I like where your heads at though Professor, and if it comes down to it, you have my support in finding a middle ground. Also Ikarus, you've painted this in a new light for me and the way you say it sounds so fun that I'm definitely on board!

EDIT: Nevermind, I've been gone on business for a few days and missed the update. Good work professor. Time to revert the levels and fix everything tydeus touched.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 02:24:48 pm by Bronto »

Offline Athelar

• Baron
  • Renown: 131
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Shaxi, Athelar, Drappi
  • IRC nick: Drappi
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2017, 02:36:50 pm »

When a character retires, they are able to 'recover' and access some portion of their loomed items and heirloom points.

So, only those who currently have looms in their inventory before wipe, will be able to recover a portion of their loomed items?

I donated all my stuff to a tournament event, simply because I didn't care much about them at the end. But if I'm not mistaken, I won't ever be able to reacquire any loomed items after the wipe has found place, if I so happened to start playing again? This also means newcomers will have no chance getting looms (except maybe from the marketplace), granting old players a small advantage.

http://forum.melee.org/events/(5v5)-crpg-tournament-for-all-of-you-to-have-fun/100/

(Not all of those donated items are mine, some are also donated by Kratos)

« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 10:19:48 pm by Shaxi »

Offline Zimke Zlovoljni

• Earl
  • Renown: 347
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • Accelerate ze protons! ಠಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2017, 02:38:09 pm »
+2
Firearms, we need dem matchlocks.

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2017, 02:45:35 pm »
+1
So, only those who currently have looms in their inventory before wipe, will be able to recover a portion of their loomed items?

Nothing is set in stone but I would suggest that it be based on generation count and not on current looms in inventory. All still up for discussion.

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2017, 02:47:03 pm »
+1
Wait for Bannerlord?
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.