Author Topic: Dev Blog #5 Combat  (Read 69580 times)

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Blog #5 Combat
« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2016, 06:02:12 pm »
+1
that would be sweet, just have it with a short range to compensate.

Of course it would be based on the length of the weapon you were using to stab past your shield.

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2016, 06:14:50 pm »
+1
ooh, the combat system sounds really interesting! It´s as chadz said: not entirely there, but definetly on the right way.

When you guys (and girls) got the feeling that the combat system is ready, give us a small alpha so we can do a stress test on it :D I´m especially curious how this stamina/stance system is going to work out for longer/bigger battles

I wouldn´t make a huge difference between running with a weapon in your hand and running with a sheathed weapon, a sliiiightly stronger drain in stamina for unsheathed weapons would be fine. If it´s just a slight difference between these two, people would only sheath their weapon when there´s a fight in the distance. Otherwise, if the stamina drain difference between sheathed/unsheathed is too big, people will most likely sheath/unsheath their weapons very often even for short moments of running, which could get annoying after a while.

Rock on!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline MacX85

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 14
    • View Profile
    • 3D Portfolio
  • Game nicks: Siegbert
« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2016, 08:40:57 pm »
Otherwise, if the stamina drain difference between sheathed/unsheathed is too big, people will most likely sheath/unsheath their weapons very often even for short moments of running, which could get annoying after a while.

Like in Life is Feudal...  :twisted:

Offline Yeldur

• Global Head Retard
  • Duke
  • Renown: 574
  • Infamy: 189
  • cRPG Player
  • Trained by Nord BlueKnight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen, Burg Krems, Acre
  • Game nicks: ladoea, Yeldur
« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2016, 09:26:06 pm »
+2
If there is VOIP there is no need for voicecommands anymore (i Guess).
Not everyone has a mic, nor does everyone want to use it, some people may have medical conditions such as anxiety or even just don't want to talk to people over comms lol, removing Voice Commands over that would be a bit silly.

he,  the god admin.  drink the tea, not ascared to  fight in th  batefield,

Offline MacX85

• Baron
    • View Profile
    • 3D Portfolio
« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2016, 10:05:55 pm »
+3
Not everyone has a mic, nor does everyone want to use it, some people may have medical conditions such as anxiety or even just don't want to talk to people over comms lol, removing Voice Commands over that would be a bit silly.

Or their wives are in the same room and want you to be quiet cause they're reading...  :oops:

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2016, 11:27:06 pm »
+2

Even aside from all that, sometimes I'll have an urge to holler with my real voice as a battle cry. Sometimes I'll have an urge to be a huge nerd and coordinate/nerd-herd all my mates together with my real voice.

And sometimes I'll want to spam voice-commands. Occasionally in a tacticool way.

And sometimes I'll want to do all these things at once!

Anyway, it does seem very needless to remove voice commands in favor of VOIP, unless the presence of both requires far too many resources (either man-hours or bloat or whatever the fuck you people that know how2computer call it).

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 24, 2016, 03:12:34 am »
+1
So what do the devs plan to do about turning the camera into attacks?

How easy it is to get circle around and get behind someone? How will the netcode handle two players getting too close from one another? Those two things are quite broken in Warband.

How important do you want block timing to be? How does it relate to feinting, holding and canceling attacks? Warband combat works very well as it is all about matching action to reaction, the core of skill being the ability to obfuscate what you do and see through what the other is doing. But without proper and effective feints/holds it would be rather trivial as their would be no way to fool your opponent. One of the nice things about blocks that you can freely hold and that activate instantly is that it makes the blocking system so easy and responsive, a lot of complexity can be added to the attack patterns without making the whole thing unplayable.

The stamina system as it currently is seems to be about long-term sustainability, rather than actual short-term management. Doesn't that mean that it will be a limiting factor for good players? The fact that as long as both players do the right thing, a fight can be long even if both players die in one hit is exactly what I like about high level play.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 03:16:44 am by Kafein »

Offline Jezbelle

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2016, 04:31:39 am »
+5
n
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 06:42:38 pm by Jezbelle »

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
« Reply #113 on: February 24, 2016, 10:43:18 am »
+1
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #114 on: February 24, 2016, 05:33:23 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Fairly certain that feinting is quite realistic, and should be present in the new game (which it supposedly will be) to add another layer of complexity. Super fast 360 spinning however shouldn't be, so long as there is still some effective way to quickly target-switch to throw off your opponents when outnumbered (in before heskey makes a tab-targetting joke).

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
« Reply #115 on: February 24, 2016, 05:47:37 pm »
Fairly certain that feinting is quite realistic, and should be present in the new game (which it supposedly will be) to add another layer of complexity. Super fast 360 spinning however shouldn't be, so long as there is still some effective way to quickly target-switch to throw off your opponents when outnumbered (in before heskey makes a tab-targetting joke).
Spinning is a basic human movement and as such is performed even by little kids. Shit, if you need more convincing, this guy can even do it on his hands!
http://youtu.be/Ovtfld_ZyCs?t=195
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 24, 2016, 06:17:51 pm »
+1
The thing is that Warband provides a 100% weapon-proof invincible 'wall' at a certain degree in your looking direction, if you 100% block correct. So implemented feats like feinting, chambering or kicking as well as player tricks like dragging stabs, roflcopter, hiltslash, 360 turns etc. have the function to break through that wall.
Melee tries a whole new approach which the system of stances, timed blocks, passive blocks and stamina. For example only 1 timed block will force a stance change on the opponent so he can at max. achieve a passive block in response to your following attack. At this point the whole block-slash-block-slash rhythm we have in Warband is already broken. How that will work out or feel to play I have no idea but we have to disregard taking basic mechanisms from warband to be granted.

Offline MacX85

• Baron
    • View Profile
    • 3D Portfolio
« Reply #117 on: February 24, 2016, 06:18:41 pm »
Spinning is a basic human movement and as such is performed even by little kids. Shit, if you need more convincing, this guy can even do it on his hands!
http://youtu.be/Ovtfld_ZyCs?t=195

It's not a valid tactic irl though, as is feint spamming like you do in Warband.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2610
  • Infamy: 274
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 24, 2016, 07:23:55 pm »
Warband Warband Warband... its like chasing ghost of the past. Bannerlord comes out, infinitely improved over silly Warband combat and every Warband "chaser" ends being left in the dust. But that's fine, this is indiest of indie games after all. Delivering a game will be a success at this point, everything else is bonus on top.

Offline Drunken_sailor

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
  • schwing
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PeaceNiks
  • Game nicks: Archibot, MongolKhanTheBeerThirsty, Yerowbix
  • IRC nick: Archibot
« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2016, 07:54:24 pm »
+1
What about stances for the classes other than swordsmen?  Are hoplites going to have different stances or even archers?

Of course it would be based on the length of the weapon you were using to stab past your shield.

and the shield type, some could have no penalty since they are designed for this.
(click to show/hide)
Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut