Author Topic: Dev Blog #5 Combat  (Read 69294 times)

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
Re: Dev Blog #5 Combat
« Reply #225 on: March 16, 2016, 01:06:25 pm »
+1
Imo you are overthinking it, 4 stances, 8 directions, the combat on a big scale will be a mess and way too random, just steal the m:b guys idea of 4 attack directions and 4 blocks, it's simple yet has depth and works perfectly, focus on your animations that still look way to glidey (not a word but you get the drift) and make the game really responsive.

Also start building your playerbase, if this forum is your gateway to new players, may god be with youy you'll need it.
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
« Reply #226 on: March 16, 2016, 01:58:28 pm »
Imo you are overthinking it, 4 stances, 8 directions, the combat on a big scale will be a mess and way too random, just steal the m:b guys idea of 4 attack directions and 4 blocks, it's simple yet has depth and works perfectly, focus on your animations that still look way to glidey (not a word but you get the drift) and make the game really responsive.

Also start building your playerbase, if this forum is your gateway to new players, may god be with youy you'll need it.

new forum inc
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline MacX85

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 14
    • View Profile
    • 3D Portfolio
  • Game nicks: Siegbert
« Reply #227 on: March 16, 2016, 02:02:27 pm »

The previous system they had (360° angles) was already superiour to Warband's. Why would they go back to something that's inferiour to the system you they already had in place just because people are used to what Warband introduced half a decade ago? Innovation is not a bad thing.

You can't have a playerbase if you don't have a game. Right now I think it's safer not to publicize everything they worked on. People might bash it to no end when it doesn't look polished enough. People are already comparing it to Bannerlord which is somewhat ahead. They might just think it's the less popular Bannerlord without grasping the whole concept.

They should just hit with a big trailer that introduces a polished combat system and the idea behind the game. Then it'll be a success.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 16, 2016, 09:52:39 pm »
new forum inc

Off topic section will be missed :'(

Offline Hellsing

• Count
  • Renown: 209
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 17, 2016, 12:13:01 am »
Off topic section will be missed :'(

As our own forum gives us the power to abuse you even more, we decided to.. move to our own forums.

Rejoice, slaves!

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 17, 2016, 08:24:16 am »
+1

I probably would have just copied it as well, because I really like M&B combat even after all that time. But especially for multiplayer it is in no way perfect. Like he says:

I've always thought in my head with warband, how in the world do you keep direction based melee attacks/blocks and eliminate the pretty horrible animation feint spam, and bam, here you go.

Just think of all that shit we all do (some more elegant, some less) to get past blocks, it's really ridiculous if you present that to someone new to the game. Sure, it's better than random button bashing but basically it always comes down into tricking your opponent into a false block or abusing glitches. There is no mechanism to beat a player with perfect blocking at the core of combat. That's why we got chambers, kicks and nudges but they are all only workarounds. They even tried to make blocks not instant back then which was horrible of course.

I'm really sceptical if this supposed system will work, but the reasons to try it are perfectly comprehensible imo.

Offline Golem

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 17, 2016, 10:55:34 am »
I probably would have just copied it as well, because I really like M&B combat even after all that time. But especially for multiplayer it is in no way perfect. Like he says:

Just think of all that shit we all do (some more elegant, some less) to get past blocks, it's really ridiculous if you present that to someone new to the game. Sure, it's better than random button bashing but basically it always comes down into tricking your opponent into a false block or abusing glitches. There is no mechanism to beat a player with perfect blocking at the core of combat. That's why we got chambers, kicks and nudges but they are all only workarounds. They even tried to make blocks not instant back then which was horrible of course.

I'm really sceptical if this supposed system will work, but the reasons to try it are perfectly comprehensible imo.

I won plenty of fight just boring my opponents out with perfect blocks and simple attacks.
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #232 on: March 17, 2016, 12:52:50 pm »
+2
Golem your posts are even more disgusting than your avatar......may I recommend this for a change:

(click to show/hide)
?
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline Golem

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 17, 2016, 01:42:53 pm »
Golem your posts are even more disgusting than your avatar......may I recommend this for a change:

(click to show/hide)
?

I'm going to have nightmares about that  :shock:

EDIT: searched 'gnomo' on google for more disgusting images, found weed 4/20 would search again
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 01:47:42 pm by Golem »

Offline Gaz.Spencer

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Gaz3545, Gaz.Spencer, Von_Smittenden
« Reply #234 on: March 17, 2016, 05:33:52 pm »

Why don't you first try it, and then say if you think Warbands is better. I think having the combat like Warbands would be such a waste of a game. Their combat looks good and seems to be pretty skill based. The idea of Melee is to have a completely different game to Warband. Just because one developer made a combat system half a decade ago, that was very successful, doesn't mean you have to copy them.

For example, CS:GO is very unrealistic, and it isn't even possible to look through the sight of your gun (except scopes). Other things such as jumping mean u have a game full of bunny hoppers. But guess what, it's one of the most popular games in the world. Other games like ArmA 3 have a far smaller playerbase, but ArmA 3 is a way better game. Yes they are very different types of games, but I'm just showing how watered down games that appeal to everyone are just horrible.

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #235 on: March 18, 2016, 12:55:53 am »
Why don't you first try it, and then say if you think Warbands is better. I think having the combat like Warbands would be such a waste of a game. Their combat looks good and seems to be pretty skill based. The idea of Melee is to have a completely different game to Warband. Just because one developer made a combat system half a decade ago, that was very successful, doesn't mean you have to copy them.

For example, CS:GO is very unrealistic, and it isn't even possible to look through the sight of your gun (except scopes). Other things such as jumping mean u have a game full of bunny hoppers. But guess what, it's one of the most popular games in the world. Other games like ArmA 3 have a far smaller playerbase, but ArmA 3 is a way better game. Yes they are very different types of games, but I'm just showing how watered down games that appeal to everyone are just horrible.

Or just hot fun, simulator games never really appealed to me.

I'm merely thinking how will all this stances and directions work in a 50v05 fuckfest, so many random things and fails the game won't be fun for me. Warbands simplicity worked perfecty in these scenatios.
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline BeastSVK

• Baron
  • Renown: 113
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights who say NI
  • Game nicks: NobleBeast_Knight_who_say_NI
  • IRC nick: NobleBeast_Knight_who_say_NI
« Reply #236 on: March 18, 2016, 09:24:39 am »
Some realy interesting video about stamina and its effect in combat...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IAyKBdo-lk

i saw interesting point in comments about separate stamina for legs and upper part of body ..that could be interesting if well applied .. so running and walking will affect  your legs stamina so you will be slower in combat once u run out of legs stamina  but there is still stored energy in your upper body muscles  your blows and parry will be more or less 100% but only your movement in fight will be slower,..there is ton of other things that could be affected by this stamina separation .. terrain advantage etc.. and it will not punish your fighting stamina that much as if only one stamina mechanics would be used...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 09:55:34 am by BeastSVK »

Offline Golem

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 18, 2016, 01:33:22 pm »
Or just hot fun, simulator games never really appealed to me.

I'm merely thinking how will all this stances and directions work in a 50v05 fuckfest, so many random things and fails the game won't be fun for me. Warbands simplicity worked perfecty in these scenatios.

Now have you guys played Squad? It's Arma/Battlefield hybrid, with a lot of own features and it'd be perfect if...or rather when they optimise it. It's the perfect balance between a game that requires tactics and a game that's packed full of action(sure you might need to walk for 3 minutes at the start of the map, but once all the FOBs and rally points are set up, you basically spawn into action) also imo CSGO is rather realistic, to an extent, the problem is that there are a lot of features in the game, like RNG which are not properly implemented, with a corresponding weapon animation and so forth.

Offline Gaz.Spencer

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Gaz3545, Gaz.Spencer, Von_Smittenden
« Reply #238 on: March 20, 2016, 03:46:05 am »
Yup Bi-weekly devblogs for sure... you better be doing something good. :D

Offline MacX85

• Baron