Author Topic: Dev Blog #5 Combat  (Read 65957 times)

Offline Kato

• Count
  • Renown: 227
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Blog #5 Combat
« Reply #165 on: March 01, 2016, 12:50:37 am »
Can I just role play filthy peasant, who knows nothing about stances, don't care about magical passive blocks, but can block-attack freely like in Warband?  :twisted:

I have no doubt that with stances combat will looks a lot cooler in duels and videos, but it will be fun for thousands of hours?

Please show us some group fights in next video.

Offline Gaz.Spencer

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Gaz3545, Gaz.Spencer, Von_Smittenden
« Reply #166 on: March 01, 2016, 04:13:49 am »
So you are saying you want the horribly unrealistic combat of Warband? Just because something is more complicated doesn't make it bad. Let's remember that the devs are a team of individuals who all loved Warband. If all of these individuals can agree that the combat is good, I reckon it'll be pretty good

Offline McKli_PL

• Count
  • Renown: 294
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: South_the_grey, HeDdar_the_grey, Wazonowej_the_grey
« Reply #167 on: March 01, 2016, 07:09:42 am »
So you are saying you want the horribly unrealistic combat of Warband?
hmm if i want realistic combat i would take a baseball bat and hit some ppl outside, this argument is the dumbest from all arguments in all kind of video games, seriously do u think that u can shoot ak47 like in video games? nope u can't yet still fps games are awesome, u can trow fireball spell? :mrgreen: yet mmo games are awesome :P  can u hit solid object with a car and shoot to cop while f*ing hooker? :mrgreen: yet Gta is a amazing game and last but not least do saw a Santa? fucker is so UNREALISTIC yet try to explain that he is not existing to some five or six year old kid :P
Game need to be fucking amazing,tense,deep,solid,fast but in some sort of control not fucking super duper realistic :!:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 07:27:29 am by McKli_PL »

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
« Reply #168 on: March 01, 2016, 08:31:16 am »
Well, if they would do it as I suggested a couple posts ago, all this double clicking nonsense would be gone.
But they won't listen. Hell, they won't even try it out...
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline Gaz.Spencer

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 01, 2016, 10:06:06 am »
It's their game... And your opinion is yours, other people might not like it.

Offline Golem

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 01, 2016, 12:00:47 pm »
+2
It's their game... And your opinion is yours, other people might not like it.
From this whole discussion I gathered that people don't like double clicking to do an action. The way I suggested would solve that while still maintaining the mechanics outlined in the video. Instead the devs decided to alter the mechanics again. Those mechanics were perfect all I am suggesting is change of controls, not mechanics.
EDIT: Also, it's my game aswell. Atleast 0.0001%  :P
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline Gaz.Spencer

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 01, 2016, 05:07:17 pm »
From this whole discussion I gathered that people don't like double clicking to do an action. The way I suggested would solve that while still maintaining the mechanics outlined in the video. Instead the devs decided to alter the mechanics again. Those mechanics were perfect all I am suggesting is change of controls, not mechanics.
EDIT: Also, it's my game aswell. Atleast 0.0001%  :P

I misinterpreted what u were trying to say. But yeah I suppose less clicks would be better. But if the decs want to implement different mechanics that's good. The more they experiment, the better the combat will be (hopefully)

Offline Golem

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 01, 2016, 07:37:32 pm »
I misinterpreted what u were trying to say. But yeah I suppose less clicks would be better. But if the decs want to implement different mechanics that's good. The more they experiment, the better the combat will be (hopefully)
You never tried to create anything, did you? If you keep enhancing a drawing or a wood carving, you MUST stop at a certain point. Otherwise, there won't be anything left and you will have to start over. Which would suck and I don't want the release date to be December 3010

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #173 on: March 01, 2016, 08:55:11 pm »
+4
You never tried to create anything, did you? If you keep enhancing a drawing or a wood carving, you MUST stop at a certain point. Otherwise, there won't be anything left and you will have to start over.

That is a pretty bad analogy.. with software you can rewind to any point and resume from there.

Offline Golem

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 01, 2016, 08:58:56 pm »
That is a pretty bad analogy.. with software you can rewind to any point and resume from there.
Sure, but you may lose sight of what it was you were creating in the first place.

Offline Jezbelle

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 02, 2016, 02:14:20 pm »
+2
n
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 06:47:12 pm by Jezbelle »

Offline Gaz.Spencer

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 02, 2016, 04:52:29 pm »
+1
I'm curious as to how the whole one big world is gonna work

Offline Reapy

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 02, 2016, 10:44:36 pm »
+8
Just saw the video and it looks really great. I've always thought in my head with warband, how in the world do you keep direction based melee attacks/blocks and eliminate the pretty horrible animation feint spam, and bam, here you go.

The more I kick the system around in my head the more I think you have a really great base here. Sure, the numbers will have to get tweaked around and all that like any game, but the idea of the mechanics feel solid.

I like that switching stances takes time and it is controlled, meaning you can make it take more or less time depending on the feel you are going for. I think it is really nice to have 8 attack directions yet cover them with 4 passive stances, but you have to risk to get the perfect block. I thought having the 360 directions blocking/attacking just added complexity and no depth, but this system seems nip that in the bud.

I was going to be concerned that it might be too easy to block in time, but you guys mentioned there is a feint mechanic, and really to feint you change stances, then attack, so it's just adding in some latency to changing directions, which doesn't have to be that much at all.

The stance switch time might be everything really, I can see the idea of needing to balance your need to swing the correct direction vs the stance the opponent is using and when to mirror them or go off their stance. The time you have to flow from one stance to the other will determine if you have to passively wait for them or can start leading them in a stance switch so they'll have to follow to block you or get hit.

That speed will determine how well you can defend multiple opponents, if you have a long time to stop stances you need that much more space between your opponents. I mean in warband you only beat multiple opponents by managing how many can attack you at once and how far away they are, two good players that can swing simultaneously will get you fast, but if you can time it so you parry one, then the other, with enough time to adjust your block, you are good. You should be able to do the same here, though one of those blocks might just be a passive rather than a good active one due to time, giving a bigger stamina penalty.

Speaking of which, I think the stamina you have in seems like it's just going to be your secondary resource manager. Your 'special abilities' are sprints, lunges and whatever else they add. It seems like the more tired you get the less special abilities you have, but you should be able to move around and swing just like a normal player through most fighting, meaning if you have good swordwork/blocking, you should be fine in a low stamina state. That doesn't sound too bad to me and might add another interesting layer to things.

For sprinting, I really like the warband way, maybe not 100% but the idea of having to hold w for 3 seconds while doing nothing else.  In war of the roses alpha they had shift sprinting at will basically, and you'd end up playing out a combat with a person at full sprint all the time, like fighter planes. It was like, either you decide to make the movement speed that high, or just make it so you can't do it reasonably in combat.

I like the idea of sprint as a 'transport' just a way to go from fight to fight, but not being a huge factor in the fight itself, let us work out weapon ranges from a semi constant movement speed rather than a constantly changing threat range.

All in all I think the game is looking great and heading in really positive direction with the combat. It feels much more refined and thought out than the 360 combat from before.

Offline MacX85

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 14
    • View Profile
    • 3D Portfolio
  • Game nicks: Siegbert
« Reply #178 on: March 02, 2016, 11:06:06 pm »
For sprinting, I really like the warband way, maybe not 100% but the idea of having to hold w for 3 seconds while doing nothing else

I like it too. But I also didn't mind sprinting like it's done in Chivalry which is hardly more than jogging anyway.
It just shouldn't get too speedy. That's where horses are supposed to come into play.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 03, 2016, 08:36:50 am »
+1

Nice to see you still follow this game! Hope you'll do some videos again after it's release  :D

(click to show/hide)