Author Topic: Total War Hammer  (Read 63214 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Total War Hammer
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2015, 09:12:37 pm »
I sometimes wonder if the public has different views of paid content in Japan, influencing SEGA's policies.
It's weird, isn't it? It's hard to think of another good game that gets shit on this much, yet SEGA changes nothing. All they have to do is go on YouTube and look at the thumbs up/down ratios.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Uther Pendragon

• King
  • Renown: 1253
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • EX Head of EU and NA admin teams
    • View Profile
    • Strategus Guide
  • Faction: Stromgarde
  • Game nicks: Uthyr Pendraeg, Uthyr, mr fucking dtv hero admin, Stromgarde_Uthyr_Pendraeg
  • IRC nick: Something along those lines above
« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2015, 10:48:07 pm »
It's weird, isn't it? It's hard to think of another good game that gets shit on this much, yet SEGA changes nothing. All they have to do is go on YouTube and look at the thumbs up/down ratios.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided took a couple days/weeks(?) but eventually they changed their idea about the pre-order. It's not something that can be judged by a ratio of likes/dislikes from one youtube video in a few DAYS, that's for sure. Besides, comments on youtube are one thing, but the uproar would need to be much wider, as in: emails being sent to the CEO's, actually NOT BUYING the fucking preoder, things like this.

Batman: Arkham Knight was pulled off the steam store after the uproar of how SHIT it's performance was, and because people started applying for refunds. It's the only thing that really matters for the bigger and more pressured companies - voting with your wallet.
Nemo prudens punit, quia peccatum est, sed ne peccetur.
I (used to) manage character issues, reverting, restoring and fixing related mistakes and some other stuff. Feel free to message if you encounter a problem.
He's not the hero DTV deserves but he's the one they need.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2015, 11:54:46 pm »
The likes/dislikes are not a new thing. This is not their first game to get downvote nuked like this.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2015, 10:15:08 am »
Apparently a lot of the dislikes were from Angry Joe's group after his rant about it. If more people can get involved with that kinda thing, getting groups of people together to show their dislike things may change for the better.

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2015, 11:04:40 am »
+1
Well of course but people showing they're not happy helps. Thing is Total War sales have been steadily decreasing over time as it is so maybe this will sell like shit because people are getting sick of the crap.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2015, 03:54:19 pm »
Apparently a lot of the dislikes were from Angry Joe's group after his rant about it. If more people can get involved with that kinda thing, getting groups of people together to show their dislike things may change for the better.

They've already had Angry Joe in with them doing a video showing him the game, being as transparent as possible, they are probably buying his allegiance now lol.

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • Renown: 672
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Rhekimos
  • IRC nick: Rhekimos
« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2015, 04:19:03 pm »
+1
Hard to imagine any impact unless it effects them financially, so people not buying it or asking for refunds etc

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2015, 04:58:59 pm »
They've already had Angry Joe in with them doing a video showing him the game, being as transparent as possible, they are probably buying his allegiance now lol.

That was before all this and he's a known warhammer and total war fan. We'll see what happens I guess. If it's that bad their offices are about 10 miles from me, I could go have a word.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2015, 06:58:58 pm »
'CA Bashing' is an entire concept of its own on Total War Center and the Org and CA are well aware of the criticism, especially since ETW, hence a substantial PR offensive in recent years, including those misplaced PR women you see on Youtube who doesn't care enough to even feign the slightest interest for the games or historical periods they are supposed to communicate to the public, or that cringe-worthy 'Rally Point' show they released some time ago.

What the series needs is a serious rival, with something like the campaign map from Europa Universalis and the combat from Total War.

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • Renown: 672
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Rhekimos
  • IRC nick: Rhekimos
« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2015, 07:04:30 pm »
'CA Bashing' is an entire concept of its own on Total War Center and the Org and CA are well aware of the criticism, especially since ETW, hence a substantial PR offensive in recent years, including those misplaced PR women you see on Youtube who doesn't care enough to even feign the slightest interest for the games or historical periods they are supposed to communicate to the public, or that cringe-worthy 'Rally Point' show they released some time ago.

What the series needs is a serious rival, with something like the campaign map from Europa Universalis and the combat from Total War.

A worthy rival would be excellent news.

But Sega/CA engaging in those PR efforts mean that the CA bashing has been noticed. Just not noticed enough for actual change instead of these flimsy attempts. If the complaining stops though, the message they will take home is that the PR stuff worked.

Offline Angantyr

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2015, 07:07:21 pm »
+2
At least the criticism seems to target SEGA more than CA these days.

Offline Uther Pendragon

• King
  • Renown: 1253
  • Infamy: 133
  • EX Head of EU and NA admin teams
    • View Profile
    • Strategus Guide
  • Faction: Stromgarde
  • Game nicks: Uthyr Pendraeg, Uthyr, mr fucking dtv hero admin, Stromgarde_Uthyr_Pendraeg
  • IRC nick: Something along those lines above
« Reply #101 on: November 04, 2015, 10:29:53 pm »
http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/164869-Total-War-WARHAMMER-Dev-Blog-%E2%80%93-Chaos-Warriors-Pre-orders-and-DLC

At least they are honest instead of throwing out a PR-response. And they make a good few points.
Nemo prudens punit, quia peccatum est, sed ne peccetur.
I (used to) manage character issues, reverting, restoring and fixing related mistakes and some other stuff. Feel free to message if you encounter a problem.
He's not the hero DTV deserves but he's the one they need.

Offline Angantyr

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 05, 2015, 12:18:40 am »
+1
Bet CA paid a good amount of money to Games Workshop for those licenses, which as far as I understand GW today sells a bit like they did the tabletop resources; a small piece at a time.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #103 on: November 05, 2015, 01:25:51 pm »
+1
http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/164869-Total-War-WARHAMMER-Dev-Blog-%E2%80%93-Chaos-Warriors-Pre-orders-and-DLC

At least they are honest instead of throwing out a PR-response. And they make a good few points.

A few good points but I still feel cheated by it and I still feel like it's pretty bullshit. If the Chaos Warriors are in the main game as a big bad enemy in the second half of the campaign prior to them being an added faction (as this makes out) then surely taking the step to make them a playable faction wouldn't be that big. As I understand it they are suggesting they don't have the resources to make them a fully playable faction within their initial budget. So they need to milk the pre-sales to get that budget. Just seems a little shady.

Add to that the original Rome and Medieval had extensive content for free. And the Barbarian expansion added a heck of a lot more than DLC has in any of the games since. I can understand that maybe games take more technical resources to make these days (no idea if this is true?) compared to then but it's still suggesting that they have a relative lower budget compared to when they made those games as they don't have the ability to put them in the main game without drawing more cash from some source.

To me it still stinks of Sega wanting a greater profit and this was how CA had to pitch how to milk it to them.

I don't see this helping the back lash all that much.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 01:38:44 pm by Overdriven »

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
« Reply #104 on: November 05, 2015, 01:38:32 pm »
+1
Biggest issue is you can't trust them. Empire, Shogun 2, Rome 2 all had bad launches. Attila was better but had so much DLC thrown at you from day 1 it felt like you'd only bought half the game. I mean there were 2 faction packs before the first patch.

Now this is the ultimate preorder drive for Warhammer fans from what I can tell and you can't preorder a Total War game without a big risk of major technical problems which means you take the risk or pay more. Shouldn't have to do either.

If CA had announced they're doing it for free it would've increased hype and got more sales of the main game than it would've done as a preorder bonus and day one DLC IMO.