Author Topic: February patch preview, input appreciated  (Read 25181 times)

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
Re: February patch preview, input appreciated
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2015, 06:11:22 pm »
+3
I like to think of the armor weight as using higher quality cloth that's lighter and more durable, while plate is reinforced or something along those lines. Still a stretch, though, and won't pass without any more votes.

Offline StonedSteel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 400
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2015, 06:29:57 pm »
+1
Maybe im blind, but i didnt see anything about the leveling system. The two big things putting me off from playing is lag ( which could be fixed simply by resetting the servers? ) and the new lvling system.

Is there any talk about changing the lvls back the way they were? Its not as gamebreaking as the lag is, but...well ill just say im not the only one wishing the mod went back to older "better" times.

I REMEMBER PLAYING IN RAIN
THROUGH THE NIGHTFALL WITH FOG
THAT CLOGGED UP OUR EYES
BUT IM MORE HORRIFIED OF A MOD
I NO LONGER RECOGNIZE

Offline wayyyyyne

• Marshall
  • Renown: 725
  • Infamy: 233
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2015, 06:34:18 pm »
This is the most exciting feature. If that's what I thinik it is, will it also display the speed bonus?

pls respond

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2015, 06:46:15 pm »
+2
I still dont see why armors would need difficulty changes, as they all have pros and cons to them that balance them out no matter the build.

This will also only make plate less accessible and less attractive to most, where your build would have to be focused around what armor type you decide you want to use instead of building the character around the playstyle you like then choosing the armors according to personal preference in looks and how lazy you feel on the blocking. Ofcourse some builds benefit more with certain armor types, str heavy builds become extremely sturdy with plate, and agi being extremely agile with cloth, but both are still viable with using the opposite, agi builds becoming slightly tankier and str builds become slightly more mobile.

Just like how only very few weapons actually need difficulty, like the great maul which would probably be very strong combined with a really agi heavy build, but other than that i dont think any weapon would be noticeably op with a speedier build.

Speaking out of own experience having played mainly very str heavy or agi heavy builds and rarely balanced builds testing out most armor types available to me.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 06:50:14 pm by Gravoth_iii »
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2015, 07:15:19 pm »
+1
The people who do very well on EU1 and NA1 are still the people who wade into combat with heavy armour spamming hits from 2hand or a fast pole. Yes they're talented blockers, but they also can afford to take a ton of hits, i'm often amazed after i rambo and die like a boss that i'm spectating people at the top of the scoreboard and they can take 5+ solid hits and stay moving, that feels broken.

And we arent talking about Str-builds, these are invariably people with agi-orientated balanced builds who favour acrobatics and circlejerking to blocking although i'm sure they're perfectly capable blockers they just dont need to bother. Spectate Gallonigher on NA1 and GTX on EU1 to see how many fricking hits they can take whilst having a very very fast attack/feint and backpedal speed. Yes i know armour reduces movement speed, not enough.

I cant speak for NA players, i joined there recently and the average skill was on a completely different level than EU and also the amount of troll builds was way higher. As for GTX, im not exactly sure on his build, to me it has never occured as an agi heavy, id guess its agi based with like 3 or 6 agi more than str. He also rocks medium armor, so him taking more hits than other people is based on other factors than the build and armor he uses, its his playstyle. He's very good at duelling and knows when he can spam with little risk and uses footwork a lot to minimize damage. Combining this with his solo oriented playstyle of picking out targets and destroying them in duels, it may look very strong but this is not reliable in bigger fights, where most of this would be incredibly hard to pull off effectively.

Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2015, 07:43:06 pm »
+1
I dont class 60+ body armour as medium armour, not in the slightest. And as i said, agi-oriented balanced build.

And i am basing this observation of the 'Tanking' potential of these players from witnessing them in gank-like situations and surviving many hits, not from observing a series of 1v1 duels. The simple fact is that they are very good players, they know how to attack fast and efficiently with their builds, but there's no way that footwork and attack speed should be compatible with that level of armour. You shouldnt be able to 'Tank', to that extent at least, with a dueling build.

Depends on the weapons he gets hit by and the builds of the other people aswell, if he's fighting an agiwhore he can probably take very little damage from a hit negating the speedbonus etc. One handers tend to hit very weak against higher armor. Footwork is almost always possible, im 5 athl in plate and its still very possible to reduce damages with footwork. I've had rounds where i can take 7+ hits and still be sitting good at 40% health, and other rounds where ive lost the same amount from one hit because of it being a really good swing.

I dont think his attackspeed is that high anyways, and his footwork is good but it isnt super fast or anything. His damage can also be quite mediocre. Never have i felt like him surviving fights was because of imbalances in the game but mainly because he is actually a very good player.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2015, 07:45:25 pm »
+2
Will "b" be rebindable? Thats my look key

The rest of the changes i'll need to see in action to have much of an opinion on. I still think the main problem with server population is the lack of incentive to level up and retire with lvl 35 STF's, free respecs and the spammy melee gameplay. People need long term goals that persist beyond their current game session.
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline StonedSteel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 400
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2015, 07:56:56 pm »
After playing again this morning, ive reached the sad conclusion. As ridiculous as the lag and swing delays are...im just sick of playing in agi land.

And you fucking idiots can scream "adapt" till ur blue in the face...we arnt supposed to adapt, we arnt supposed to all jump on the next op thing, there are supposed to be lots of op game breaking mechanic abusing shit to exploit...and you say "adapt" wtf happened to this being an rpg? everyone picking what they want to play...not what tydeus wants us to play just to survive.

no patch will save this, too much damage has been done, if your in na, 90% of players have a high amount of agi. Diversity, -all this mod truly ever had-, is dead. Tydeus did soo much work to kill the mod, i highly doubt the damage can be undone in one patch.

Thing is, native is alive and well, and crpg was thriving the most when it was alot like native but with persistent lvling, the farther from native it gets the worse it gets.
CRPG should have stuck to its roots, a Warband mod that added a few features...and left the rest alone...you got in your heads you could build a superior version of Warband?

And ended up breaking the shit.

Right now, multiplayer wise...other than Vikings conquest, this is gotta be thee laggiest, wonkiest, least skill based version of Warband you could play, so what if you are all good at it...being good at a shit game does not make the game any less shit.

CRPG is all tricks, crutches, exploits, build and mechanic abusing.

IF crpg doesnt go back to its roots, i dont see it coming back at all. This patch shouldnt be about adding new problems...it should be about fixing the overwhelming amount of problems it currently has.
I REMEMBER PLAYING IN RAIN
THROUGH THE NIGHTFALL WITH FOG
THAT CLOGGED UP OUR EYES
BUT IM MORE HORRIFIED OF A MOD
I NO LONGER RECOGNIZE

Offline NJ_Legion_Icedtea

• Count
  • Renown: 259
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norsemen
  • Game nicks: Norse_Icedtea
  • IRC nick: Icedtea
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2015, 08:12:13 pm »
+4
This seems actually quite nice, the armor changes will try and get more people into using more strength and less stupidly quick builds unless you want to die easily.
Right now I am just happy to hear something :)

Offline Dupre

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 825
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: DoV
  • Game nicks: Dupre, Sentri
  • IRC nick: Nashringa
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2015, 08:14:29 pm »
+1
The people who do very well on EU1 and NA1 are still the people who wade into combat with heavy armour spamming hits from 2hand or a fast pole. Yes they're talented blockers, but they also can afford to take a ton of hits, i'm often amazed after i rambo and die like a boss that i'm spectating people at the top of the scoreboard and they can take 5+ solid hits and stay moving, that feels broken.

And we arent talking about Str-builds, these are invariably people with agi-orientated balanced builds who favour acrobatics and circlejerking to blocking although i'm sure they're perfectly capable blockers they just dont need to bother. Spectate Gallonigher on NA1 and GTX on EU1 to see how many fricking hits they can take whilst having a very very fast attack/feint and backpedal speed. Yes i know armour reduces movement speed, not enough.

Aim for the head.

If more weight is going to be added to plate, a damage bonus should be added for wearing full set of heavy. Plate would be useless especially on DTV. I personally don't think heavy armor should be adjusted.

Steam: ajkretchmer

Offline WarLord

• Earl
  • Renown: 354
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2015, 08:17:40 pm »
+2

And that, yet again, is simply and entirely wrong, mate. I and alot of people that play pole and 2h and top the score board regularly without even try-harding are playing builds with more str than agi, tending towards alot more str than agi. But I guess I am talking against a wall here  :twisted:

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2015, 08:31:18 pm »
+1
After playing again this morning, ive reached the sad conclusion. As ridiculous as the lag and swing delays are...im just sick of playing in agi land.

And you fucking idiots can scream "adapt" till ur blue in the face...we arnt supposed to adapt, we arnt supposed to all jump on the next op thing, there are supposed to be lots of op game breaking mechanic abusing shit to exploit...and you say "adapt" wtf happened to this being an rpg? everyone picking what they want to play...not what tydeus wants us to play just to survive.

no patch will save this, too much damage has been done, if your in na, 90% of players have a high amount of agi. Diversity, -all this mod truly ever had-, is dead. Tydeus did soo much work to kill the mod, i highly doubt the damage can be undone in one patch.

Thing is, native is alive and well, and crpg was thriving the most when it was alot like native but with persistent lvling, the farther from native it gets the worse it gets.
CRPG should have stuck to its roots, a Warband mod that added a few features...and left the rest alone...you got in your heads you could build a superior version of Warband?

And ended up breaking the shit.

Right now, multiplayer wise...other than Vikings conquest, this is gotta be thee laggiest, wonkiest, least skill based version of Warband you could play, so what if you are all good at it...being good at a shit game does not make the game any less shit.

CRPG is all tricks, crutches, exploits, build and mechanic abusing.

IF crpg doesnt go back to its roots, i dont see it coming back at all. This patch shouldnt be about adding new problems...it should be about fixing the overwhelming amount of problems it currently has.

Adapting doesnt mean join the agi train, it means learn how to fight them. If there are so many agiwhores as you claim, then it shouldnt be hard to adapt to their styles. Find patterns etc. Play more defensive, focus on blocking.. Respecc throwing and give them hell, if they skipped out on IF they probably wont like it.

As for server being filled with agiwhores, atleast for eu this isnt true. Basically everyone is balance build, some are extreme strwhores and some are agi based. Its pretty well rounded with good variety.

Offline WarLord

• Earl
  • Renown: 354
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2015, 08:37:05 pm »
+1
Fair enough, i've only been playing those servers again this last week and havent seen you or other str-characters topping there, but i dont remember seeing you there at all so we must be on at different times.

Then again, re-reading my quote, i was talking specifically about the people with visibly-high athletics surviving multiple hits in circumstances where they are not deliberately moving to negate damage. If you see someone moving like a Str-build or Str-oriented build in heavy heavy armour, it isnt surprising to see them able to tank, it *is* surprising to see other people receiving the same tankiness without sacrificing as much mobility.

*edit* here's where it sucks the most that patch-fixes are not something we can rely on, if they were then a controversial patch like this would be fine and we could all judge what we observe in servers afterwards, if it sucks it could be reverted by a patch-fix. Because we cant expect any patch-fix after this patch all we can do is muse on potential impacts these features may have, and we all play different amounts, at different times, on different servers, and look for different things from the game.

Ok, I agree here.  :mrgreen:

Offline wayyyyyne

• Marshall
  • Renown: 725
  • Infamy: 233
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2015, 08:42:26 pm »
lol, heskeytime is, yet again, talking about meta builds like he's some sort of melee mastermind. His entire disdain for anything that isn't a 3X/1X or 3X/X build stems from the fact that he can't block two hits in a row.

I urge everyone no to argue with him. He's the kind of guy I've seen nudging people while wielding a polearm thinking it would result in a free hit in 2015.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 08:45:44 pm by wayyyyyne »

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2015, 08:42:57 pm »
+1
Server and time of day, sometimes you'll get unlucky. NA1 night before last was every infantryman's hell for a few maps due to a quirk in balance, all couch cav and ranged had been put on the same team... i still have nightmares.

NA and EU are usually very different as far as builds and metas go too, so i guess its hard to speak for both..