Author Topic: Thoughts about "mod is dying and keeping it alive"  (Read 9672 times)

Offline Osakasa

• Baron
  • Renown: 101
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Osa|Kasa|la
Thoughts about "mod is dying and keeping it alive"
« on: January 06, 2015, 11:25:36 am »
+12
I try to give different perspective of views about “why mod is dying and what keeps it alive”.

People are saying mod is old and players change to new games. Yes this is true, those guys are right, mod is old. Then what is the “issue” between new and old games, I try to explain a bit.

When you are playing a new game, it offers something new to learn. New features are discovered which keep players interested and new goals in game are tried to achieve. Only the time shows how long game “survives” and players keep playing it. Whereas old games are for more casual playing. Players already know basic features in game therefore can enjoy just playing it and don't have to put energy on learning new things.

cRPG is a good game/mod, people still playing it after several years. For me, cRPG is the best melee combat “simulator” and I will keep playing it until better one shows up in game market. However, strategus has been dead for +6 months, so players have to choose between EU1 and EU2. Nothing wrong with those game modes but when available choices are either battle or siege, mod unfortunately repeat itself pretty fast. Veteran players have already learned basic combat mechanism and new features are rarely implemented, the interest of playing is lacking. Learning new things and features misses totally. As in new games, goals totally miss and there are nothing to achieve (I like many others have tons of +3 items, more gold than Uncle Scrooge and produce looms points faster than can spend).

When roll and nudges were implemented, there were new things to learn. Yes, things weren't perfect and for example some 1H nudges gave free hit but still, something fresh in mod which players had to adapt.

For me if I had to choose between:
1. well balanced combat simulator without new features
2. somewhat broken balanced combat simulator with new features
I would always choose 2. Some new features, such as stamina, new swing animation etc. surely keeps mod more alive and players interested.

Here are few words for the almighty Donkey Team:
If you are still developing Melee Battleground and want to test some features how they work in action. Put them in test in cRPG. Yes, things and balance will be broken but players have new things to learn and keep interest up (I don't know if this is technically possible to do so). After all, the balance is not everything, it doesn't really matter whether +3 German Great Sword stab damage is 29P or 31P or it doesn't matter whether 1 athletics point gives +3% or 6% more running speed. Those things are trivial and really don't change the game play. It is a human nature to be interested new things and being an explorer.

Thanks for reading if you manage this far.
- Osakasa

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts about "mod is dying and keeping it alive"
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 12:41:32 pm »
+6
The problem is bugs which were introduced 3 months ago still aren't fixed. So sure, we can make dozens ingenious ideas which would "revive" mod, but they won't get implemented. Even sth as simple as TDM or DM server would be a breath of fresh air, but the chance that it will be implemented is slim to non-existing.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Bronto

• Head NA admin
  • King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 01:27:49 pm »
+10
3 months ago and still no fucking weapon models on a few of the new weapons. Even worse, no pictures on the shop pages. What's this world coming to?

Offline wayyyyyne

• Marshall
  • Renown: 725
  • Infamy: 233
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 01:33:27 pm »
+6
3 months ago and still no fucking weapon models on a few of the new weapons. Even worse, no pictures on the shop pages. What's this world coming to?

chadz pobably od'd on something after the kickstarter campaign failed. RIP.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1319
  • Infamy: 2991
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 01:42:01 pm »
+22
cRPG in current state is harming image of their upcoming game.

Offline Bronto

• Head NA admin
  • King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 268
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 02:13:30 pm »
+10
LOL at those quotes. what a bunch of elitist internet nerds...I'd fight them IRL...plus crpg is better than native anyway. who just plays the game?

It's all about dat grind
bout dat grind
those levels...
Yeah it's pretty clear
they are just baby noobs
they couldn't block in crpg, like they're supposed to do
they say that time is skill but i don't see 'em on
and if they are i'll beat them with my goedendag

(click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 02:22:33 pm by Bronto »

Offline Radament

• King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • ☑Yes ☒No
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction
  • Game nicks: «Radament» «Miasma»
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 05:11:38 pm »
+1
Okay, sorry, but, I stopped reading here and came up with a great idea.

What if we just change the name and tell people that its a new mod? They'll never know the difference.

reintroduce ladders and call it lRPG

Offline Switchtense

• King
  • Renown: 1137
  • Infamy: 137
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • poking you where the sun dont shine!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Unicorns, BIRD CLAN BEST CLAN!
  • Game nicks: All sorts of Switch's
  • IRC nick: Switchtense
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 05:29:54 pm »
+1
Okay, sorry, but, I stopped reading here and came up with a great idea.

What if we just change the name and tell people that its a new mod? They'll never know the difference.
reintroduce ladders and call it lRPG

Make people pay 200$ and call it iRPG.
For all the non-believers, look no further than this thread for proof that while strat battles are won/lost in NA3/EU3, strat wars are won and lost on the forums.

Offline Utrakil

• Marshall
  • Renown: 885
  • Infamy: 182
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Randwig; Gerwin; Marketenderin; Fletcher
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 06:57:09 pm »

Radament which one of them are you?

Offline andreakarasho

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
  • MEMENTO AVDERE SEMPER
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: _ReaL_DeaL_ - Macrone_Legionarivs
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 07:10:02 pm »
+1

Radament which one of them are you?
Cameraman. I hope.
My2€

Offline Radament

• King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • ☑Yes ☒No
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction
  • Game nicks: «Radament» «Miasma»
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 08:48:17 pm »
Cameraman. I hope.
My2€

too bad you can't see me fapping

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 09:45:10 pm »
Pretty sure it did that for the entire duration that people were aware of M;BG, the following quotes come from page 1 of the 'Anyone excited for M:BG by cRPG devs?' thread on Taleworlds that we were forced to update for the kickstarter, the thread that was our main source of outreach to the larger Warband community.

The only difference is that the current state is just harming the image of their upcoming game in our eyes, the ones who were previously positive and happy to donate. People outside this community already had their image harmed because they didnt like crpg in the first place. Now enjoy the quotes.

that's about the stupidest post I saw in a while. When cRPG had tons of players and was 2 times more alive than native, native players hated it the most. And what got that quotes to do with anything? They criticize crpg for the same obvious shit since beginning, level --> skill blabla.

Now the state of the mod is reflecting bad on M:BG because of lacks of update and general care at all, but not because of it's core ideas like customization and leveling etc.

Offline Kato

• Count
  • Renown: 227
  • Infamy: 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 10:36:24 pm »
+5
HESKEYTIME, thanks for this revelation.

It's surely news for devs, that native elitist hated cRPG since 2010. :)

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 11:21:47 pm »
+9
Outside of cRPG community noone give a damn about Melee, because either they don't know about it (non existing publicity) or they don't like its ancestor. So devs can not hurt the image of M:BG in the eyes of those ppl. But true is this sentence:

The only difference is that the current state is just harming the image of their upcoming game in our eyes, the ones who were previously positive and happy to donate.

Currently cRPG community is the only source of income for M:BG and for some of us, who in the past donated to maintain the servers, invested in M:BG and pledged on kickstarter, dev's attitude is very... dishearteaning. It's not even about keeping cRPG alive, mod is old and that's obviously the main reason why it's dead, probably nothing would save it and that's okay. But when they try to sell M:BG as a "spiritual successor" of cRPG it's just unprofessional to not fix for 3 months blatant bugs in cRPG - which is after all M:BG ancestor  :wink: Also, it was annonced by devs that Strat 5 would end 15th december...  :wink: Devs inability to keep their word - also in the case of M:BG, lack of care for cRPG, rushed and unprepared kickstarter campaign, all this make me think devs are unreliable. So if they'll start some donation campaign in the future I doubt I will donate again.

PS. It isn't supposed to be some rage rant against devs, I just think they hurt their own project.

Offline Corsair831

• King
  • Renown: 1168
  • Infamy: 616
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 12:02:39 am »
+3
cRPG in current state is harming image of their upcoming game.

fix lag and i have no problem with crpg at all, hell, i'd start playing it again.
I 10/10'd cRPG on moddb.com!

Do your bit for our community and write a 10/10 review for cRPG on http://www.moddb.com/mods/crpg !