Author Topic: Total War: Attila  (Read 30645 times)

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
Re: Total War: Attila
« Reply #150 on: March 14, 2015, 02:36:47 pm »
In my Danes campaign I mainly focused on taking the British Isles.
I started by quickly taking Jutland with King Danr's hirdmen 'The Blood Swans', then Sweden, all the while my fleet under Prince Humbli stopped all Varinian trade until they were suspectible to a peace offer.
Then I secured my southern border by marrying off a daughter to the Angles, keeping my relationship with the Anglo-Saxon alliance one of mutual respect, and king Danr on Sealand to fend off a Rugian invasion while Humbli raided Rugian waters.
I then married Humbli to a Frankish princess and started an invasion of England with 10 hirdmen units and 4 nordic spearmen, 2 mounted raiders and 2 archers, supported by Humbli's fleet 'The Black Sails'. My fleet took Ireland while my invasion force landed and took Londinium from the WRE in a gloriously bloody battle.
We've worked our way north from there, though the fighting's been fierce against the Caledonians and Picts around Hadrian's Wall, but a recently arrived second stack from the homeland have pushed the last remaining Scottish tribes to the utmost north where they turtle up with a few stacks, licking their wounds as we both build up our forces for the reckoning.
Next, now laid open for my fleets, is the whole western European coastline.

edit: and as I write this a Germanic horde has just landed and started besieging Londinium in the south, meaning I'll have to split up my forces in the north, hope the Picts don't attack me and hope half my army is enough to fend off the horde that for now seems content just raiding and pillaging.

Btw. real disappointing that Celtic peoples use Nordic units. But that's for yet another DLC, I guess..

I wish I had the chance to do that in my Campaign, but literally off the bat I had 2 Factions sending stacks to me followed by another 2 Factions declaring war against me and  sending their own stacks  :shock:, so I ended up pretty friendly with Jutes and Geats and I am just trying to wipe out the fuckers who invaded me from the southern shores. Guess it's just the roll of the dice business, unless Radious mod has something to do with it, but everyone wanted to rape me hard at the start of the game lol.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 14, 2015, 03:35:05 pm »
Varinians and Rugians seem to start off by sending stacks in almost every Danes campaign, sometimes Geats, too, depending on their king. Took me a few tries. But if you turtle with a decent stack until you get hirdmen (or alternatively, though less cool, upgrade your spearmen) you can survive their initial assaults until they leave you alone. Sending the fleet to block the Varinian port early on usually makes peace negotiable.

Offline SirCymro_Crusader

• King
  • Renown: 1095
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 14, 2015, 11:46:05 pm »
I wonder if a new DLC will be based on 'successors' so for example - Briton, Western Roman seperatists, Illyrians etc etc.

As Geats I currently own all of the British Isles (except Ireland, but their my allies) and all of Sweden/Norway and Denmark. I've got 3 full army stacks, 1 in Britain defending against an Ostrogoth invasion, and the other 2 are invading the lands that Border the Baltic. Currently going well, except for a little bit of a public order problem as I have 2 neutral hordes raiding my lands the bastards.

Also Briton faction recruit Roman units haha

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
« Reply #153 on: March 15, 2015, 12:06:19 pm »
Thing that frustrates me is the diplomacy.

I subjugate, they then declare war on me the following turn. What's the point in that? Can't occupy because it increases imperium and everyone hates you. So you sack it, come back and raise it. Which is dull.

Offline Angantyr

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 17, 2015, 08:20:48 pm »
+2
And we were right, of course; they just released the Celtic culture pack, torn out of the main game like all the others. Pathetic.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 18, 2015, 04:42:53 am »
I hope you guys aren't buying them. Total War DLC policy is so bad I don't even have words.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #156 on: March 18, 2015, 08:20:35 am »
Still waiting for Blood and Gore.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 18, 2015, 11:25:54 am »
+1
Some games have blood as an option, Total War sells it as a five dollar DLC.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #158 on: March 18, 2015, 11:37:12 am »
I agree, it's shabby and stupid.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #159 on: March 18, 2015, 12:51:32 pm »
My greatest fear is that they will release medieval 3 and tack on this horrendous DLC fest business model.
Turtles

Offline Leesin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 18, 2015, 01:42:07 pm »
My greatest fear is that they will release medieval 3 and tack on this horrendous DLC fest business model.

Of course they will, this is SEGA at work, selling us half a game at a full retail price then selling us the rest of the game in small pieces AND then once we've finally bought the whole game they'll release actual expansions. I don't mind DLC and buying some Factions, but SEGA are ruining Total War with the ridiculous amount of cut content being sold as DLC, they already rush CA to push these games out of the door which is another thing that's killing the series, it's obvious SEGA just see this as a PC cash cow, they couldn't care less about the actual content of the game, aslong as it's barely good enough for people to buy it. People give CA a lot of shit but they really do their best with the time they have, people seem to forget CA don't just work freely and they can't release the game when they feel it's ready to be released, they are pushed to have the game ready by a certain date which for a game of Total Wars scope is recipe for disaster, it's no wonder the games lose features and complexity, because CA just don't have the time to do it properly so they don't do it at all.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 02:12:36 pm by Leesin »

Offline Angantyr

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 18, 2015, 08:38:00 pm »
The playerbase at large seem to have come to the consensus that the fault generally lies with the publisher not the developing house, the previously omnipresent 'CA bashing' so annoying on many forums (for example twc) has turned towards Sega.

Offline SayAttack

• Baron
  • Renown: 115
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 19, 2015, 01:11:28 am »
we have some kind of "insider" guy and he said that looks like the next will be warhammer total war)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 19, 2015, 01:24:35 am »
Which will probably only have 2 factions on launch and they'll sell all the others as DLC that costs 15 dollars
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Leesin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 19, 2015, 01:33:57 am »
we have some kind of "insider" guy and he said that looks like the next will be warhammer total war)

Ya that's not exactly a secret insider knowledge lol. Was like 2 years ago when they all partnered and in more recent months it has been made obvious on multiple occasions that the game is well in the works.

And yeah, they will milk the Faction DLC with this one too. Thanks SEGA you're the best.