Author Topic: Hoplite/Thrower Advice  (Read 553 times)

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • Renown: 394
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mallets and his family
Hoplite/Thrower Advice
« on: October 02, 2014, 08:29:10 pm »
I have an 18/18 Hoplite Thrower.  I've had him for a while now, but I finally decided to get him to lvl31 and retire (only 700k left).  So I'm looking to rebuild and would like some advice.

(click to show/hide)

I've enjoyed the 18/18 build.  At first, I was primarily a hoplite using a war spear, who also took a few throwing lances for the hell of it.  But I started using the throwing lances more and more.  At the end, I often went with 6 throwing lances and a buckler (and the 0-slot hand axe to break shields if need be).  So I became more of a thrower than an actual hoplite.

So now I'm looking for a build that would allow throwing to take a little more precedent... but I still want to be a decent hoplite.  I could of course stay 18/18 and just tweak my WPF... but I'm also curious if another build would better suit me.

I'm thinking of going 12/24.  This build excites me... but definitely have it's drawbacks.  For one, with 12 STR, I will not be able to use Throwing Lances.  I don't really like Javelins or Throwing Spears.  I do however like Heavy Throwing Axes (and I can go melee with them to break shields).  So I'd exclusively throw them instead.  But I also worry if 4 PS is enough to be effective with a Red Tassel Spear (or War Spear).  Will I glance too much?  My thinking is that the extra athletics will allow me to move much quicker towards opponents... thus allowing me to pierce them easier.  Is that illogical to think so?  This is probably my biggest concern.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Questions/Concerns:

1)  Is 4 PS enough to be effective as a Hoplite?  Or melee in general (even if I put up the shield)?

2)  I'm going from 6 Power Throw to 4 Power Throw... will the reduced amount of damage be drastic?

3)  If I do go this build... do you suggest Heavy Throwing Axes or (regular) Throwing Axes?  Heavy will provide 6 total ammo.  Regular will provide 8 total ammo.  But are there other pros & cons between the two?

You may have the opinion that 18/18 is tons better than an AGI build.  I'm not against staying 18/18.  I do love Throwing Lances!!!  Thanks for any input/advice!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 08:36:06 pm by Mallets »

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
Re: Hoplite/Thrower Advice
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 09:06:13 pm »
+1
1. Yes, made up for with athletics.
2. Yes, but it's not that bad if you avoid throwing at enemies with high armor.
3. Heavy. At 4 PT and not much wpf, you want to make the most out of each hit.

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 10:48:52 pm »
+1
I'd recommend removing any 1h wpf, personally. If you're in a situation such as an intense 1v1 or yourself versus multiple enemies, taking out your 1h weapon is going to get you hit once or more. I wouldn't recommend your 12-24 build at all for myself, but even at 18-18, you don't want to be taking hits as a hoplite unless you're forced to.

If you get in a dueling situation, you can either make use of bullshit wiggles and kicks to beat someone that's just coming at you hard, or press H to drop your shield and fight them like that. I'd do the second, personally.

I don't think you'd glance like a madman using a polearm with only 4PS, but that is assuming that you're turning properly into your stabs. If you're just using the mouse button you'll be much more likely to glance. You'll really have to consistently move your camera into your swing with an up-down motion, or a left-right/right-left motion.

As a last thought, consider using a shield besides the knightly heater/knightly kite shields. I think they look pretty fly, and are good at dueling (although if I was dueling anyone I'd drop my damn shield in the first place), but they provide very, very little coverage for teammates. As a proper hoplite you'll be providing shield coverage for your melee folks that lack a shield, and perhaps sometimes for crossbowmen reloading or archers under heavy fire.

Good luck with the build, bud. Last few times I've actually ventured into NA1 there seem to have been a large proportion of HA. Kinda blew.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 03:45:56 am »
+1
18/18 used to be able to do 100/100/100 split. Good ol days...

Heavy throwing axe is definitely what you want to use.  It throws for good damage, and it melees for very good damage. Not to mention its good against shields. Just takes a bit to get used to the short range, after that it really shines though. Not sure on a build nowadays, but I would recommend the war spear over the red tassel (and ashwood over war, and light lance over ashwood). You want a long stick that hurts people. Speed is negligible.

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • Renown: 394
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mallets and his family
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 07:23:53 am »
Thanks for all the advice guys!  Been playing with Heavy Throwing Axes tonight in route to lvl 31 (only 280k).  When someone is running away from you, they are great.  But I do miss Throwing Lances.

Question:

Is there a cap on Throwing WPF?

What I mean is:  I plan on taking 120 Throwing.  Using San's Calc, taking in account for my armor weight... I'll have 55 effective WPF.  Where does this cap?  Or does it cap?  I know for Xbows there's an WPF accuracy cap.   Didn't know if it was the same for Throwing.