Author Topic: Ironclad  (Read 11925 times)

Offline Tovi

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 251
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: OdE
  • Game nicks: KrisTovi
Re: Ironclad
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 11:48:10 am »

Loyd refused to be a historical advisor for this film, guess why :lol:

(click to show/hide)

Pretty fun watch Lindybeige destroy this movie piece by piece  :mrgreen:

Ok, but you could apply all these to cRPG too.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 03:45:26 pm »
Ok, but you could apply all these to cRPG too.

But cRPG is not trying to be a historical movie, Tovi.

And no, you couldn't.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 03:51:28 pm by Christo »

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Tovi

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 251
    • View Profile
  • Faction: OdE
  • Game nicks: KrisTovi
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 04:21:31 pm »
Really ?
No balustrade on walls and no moat.
Armors mix from X  to XVIth century
unbreakable wooden weapons
Female fighting

Also, in the Roland's song, Roland cut a man and his horse in two with his sword Durandal. 2H heroes can do this  :mrgreen:

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 04:36:55 pm »
Dense again?

cRPG is not aiming to be historically accurate.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 09:10:27 am »
But cRPG is not trying to be a historical movie, Tovi.

And no, you couldn't.

Dense again?

Warband is an action/adventure RPG videogame in a historical setting. Ironclad is an action/adventure movie in a historical setting. One you play to enjoy. The other you watch to enjoy. They are products made for your purchasing entertainment during your leisure time.

Where, besides pedantic autism, lies your argument?>
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2014, 09:17:57 am »
Right in front of you.

Typical smoothbitch

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2014, 09:32:31 am »
+5
I dont get why people seek historical accuracy in this.  Nowhere on the DVD box or the posters did it state "historically accurate".  I mean, yea sure, its fun to nitpick, but dont go apeshit over it. Its a movie where some historic parts were mixed with fiction. Big deal. Id say "Braveheart" was a way bigger crime. Basically they kinda shitted on a Scottish national hero and Mel Gibson in blue warpaint became a first thing americans...and well everybody else non-scottish get the image of when they think of Scottland or Scottish freedom. And that is just fucked up.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2014, 10:08:01 am »
+1
Yeah Braveheart is one of the worst culprits for historical inaccuracy. Pretty much every minute of it is total bullshit from the clothes they wear to the events themselves.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2014, 02:37:21 pm »
shit if you want historical accuracy watch documentaries.  why would anyone want to fuck up fun for facts.

conan,  300,  all movies that do great without history.
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2014, 02:49:19 pm »

Ironclad is?

Good movie, will watch the number 2 when I get the chance.
James Purefoy is a underrated actor who deserve praise for this kind of flick.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2014, 04:09:56 pm »
+1
shit if you want historical accuracy watch documentaries.  why would anyone want to fuck up fun for facts.

Because unfortunately there are many in this world stupid enough to take a Hollywood as largely fact.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2014, 04:26:32 pm »
+2
why would anyone want to fuck up fun for facts.

I don't understand either, that's why I asked Christo, and got a shitpost response.

You could watch pretty much any movie about anything ever made and find hundreds of things that aren't congruent with our living reality.. but you are watching a movie. It makes no sense. You can say this about anything that takes place anywhere about anything else, ever. Even film or photo of the real event, because of intrinsic bias in composition and perspective and so on.

Imagine reading a book and for 500 pages working yourself up in a frothing rage at "Historical Inaccuracies" of some sweeping romantic historical epic/drama with multiple character POVs from different cultures expressing overarching themes about the current day using an understandable historic setting as the template to tell a story. Could someone keep turning the pages, engaging with the book as an affront to their sense of intellectualism, or more accurately, youtube/wikipedia "fact-checking?" THIS ISN't HOW IT REALLY HAPPENED. *flip page with greasy fingers* WOW IT GETS WORSE EVERY PAGE *hours later* HEH.. no wonder Americans are so ignorant.. they think this is how it really was.. know nothing of martial history..*logs into cRPG for 10 hours of nonstop gaming, ignoring hygiene*

You could go to the Met, or I guess for you EUs, the shit-tier Louvre, and stand in front of a Picasso painting while chomping on a pastry and spitting up phlegm and crumbs on the canvas, rambling to no one in particular how those brush strokes of a historical event "totally fail lol, wut u cant see y this is shit, its a HISTORICAL painting.. get less ignorant.." and then stopping right there at your thought process because it wasn't a 1 to 1 recreation of what some historian said he thinks sounds good 200 years ago and now everyone accepts as fact because duh, that's what Truth is.

You know Braveheart, whether you like it or not, is the same crap. Yeah you can see tons of Mel Gibson's political/historical bias and revisionism bleed through, using historical figures to forge a modern "epic" characterization of our ideals in freedom or patriotism, using cinematic language as shorthand to gloss over compex characters, so on and so forth, and finding mass appeal in order to become a commercial success.  Well no fucking shit, it did everything Mel Gibson and his crew wanted it to do, and was a resounding success, and he prob gives no shits about Scottish independence, because he's a drunken anti-semite Australian-American millionare.

It wasn't a history movie. It was a historical epic. But u know, only noobs like the Iliad, watch this neckbearded youtuber 'destroy' Homer in 3 hours of him wheezing into the microphone about the inaccuracies of Trojan military tactics, making anyone who thinks the Iliad/Odyssey supposedly means anything outside of the OBVIOUS intention of academic dry military history, an idiot.

Unless Christo, you can tell me what makes the Iliad different from Ironclad, and either of those, different from cRPG?  Cuz I'd love 2 learn.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2014, 04:59:42 pm »
What an excessively long rant.

I'd like to point out that most historical novels have a historical note at the back that addresses any inaccuracies the author may have incurred for the sake of the story. Or maybe you just haven't read that far  :wink:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 05:06:16 pm by Overdriven »

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2014, 07:52:35 pm »
Because unfortunately there are many in this world stupid enough to take a Hollywood as largely fact.

thats true,  but thats also kinda there problem : )

i wouldnt want to do without good movies for the sake of dumb peoples chance of misconception 
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2014, 08:20:40 pm »
God I hate Braveheart so much. The problem isnt that people take it as a fact. Im quite sure majority dont. Its just that this crap is so freaking rememerable. Im pretty sure if we think of Scotland inevtiably we also think of that asshole Gibsons smug face and we know better than that, dont we, but this shit just sticks to our brains.

You cant just do a movie on national icons. You can somewhat on historical events, but not actual heavly renowned people. If you do, it has to be very well planned out, not to be offensive.