Poll

Do construction crews help the team?

Yes, and they are fun
No, they ruin my fun because i'm gay
obligatory LOOK AT ME DAD AM GAY :DDD

Author Topic: Interested  (Read 817 times)

Offline Lemon_

• Earl
  • Renown: 343
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Interested
« on: July 15, 2014, 07:59:47 am »
+3
on the community opinion

Was looking thru old threads, and stumbled upon this gem (http://forum.melee.org/na-(official)/they-are-building-siege-towers-on-battle/)

Really brought back the memories.

Not sure if the bugs have been ironed out or anything, but I was curious on what was the communities opinion on construction on battle servers.

In the incident described in the ban thread, about half the team was constructing stuff/using the construction as defenses, while the other half was breaking it/ignoring it and suicide charging

« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 09:39:08 pm by Lemon_ »

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Interested
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 10:22:23 am »
+2
No they don't

Offline Lemon_

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 10:41:44 am »
more detail please, maybe I should have made the poll "Fun and add to the experience" over helping. C-rpg isn't about winning, it's about enjoying the game.

Offline Zorak

• Knight
  • Renown: 58
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: HoC_Zorak
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 12:35:24 pm »
I think Siege equipment is great for organized battles like the ones we get in Strat. Having it in a Battle server on the otehr hand would end just like you said in the OP, half the team playing Mount & minecraft while the other half destroys it/whines about no one fighting.

It'll be Ace of Spades cRPG edition.

In short, while it'd be amusing for a while, it would most likely just become tedious in the end.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 01:32:05 pm »
+1
more detail please, maybe I should have made the poll "Fun and add to the experience" over helping. C-rpg isn't about winning, it's about enjoying the game.
Some people enjoy the competitive side of cRPG though, they like to win rounds, play well and have good fights. Having a 10% of your team trying to construct stuff that poses no advantage whatsoever ruins the experience for these people as they have very little chance of winning the round and will most likely get ganked within two minutes. That is if the construction even gets completed which is rare in my experience.

I have a counterquestion. In what way does constructing stuff on battle servers add to your enjoyment of the game and why is that more important than the enjoyment of competition focused players?

Offline darmaster

• King
  • Renown: 1398
  • Infamy: 297
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguards
  • Game nicks: Retsamrad
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 02:02:02 pm »
"oh sorry thought this was a free mod, no fun allowed"

this is how fucking stupid you look when you use that argument

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

with the exception he's funny, you're not. you're retards.

if you guys want to behave like retards that's fine, until it's not against the rules that's fine, even i do that too few times, but if you expect to be seen as victims there you can happily fuck off; like this mod was meant to feed trolls with mugs and siege towers builders instead of serious players.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Lemon_

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 09:38:45 pm »
+2
Some people enjoy the competitive side of cRPG though, they like to win rounds, play well and have good fights. Having a 10% of your team trying to construct stuff that poses no advantage whatsoever ruins the experience for these people as they have very little chance of winning the round and will most likely get ganked within two minutes. That is if the construction even gets completed which is rare in my experience.

I have a counterquestion. In what way does constructing stuff on battle servers add to your enjoyment of the game and why is that more important than the enjoyment of competition focused players?

Well in this case, they did complete it. Many times in fact. There landed up with probably around 60% of the team willingly helping the construction (getting c mats, guarding the builders, using the buildings) which is why they were able to complete it. BUT then you have the other 40% who would try to keep playing like normal and would get out numbered and die. 

In my opinion, constructing things on the battle servers add to my enjoyment of the game as, if completed, you and your team (providing they are willing) WILL have an advantage in the round. It is also fun to work together with a bunch of guys, usually in a teamspeak, and construct these giant things that cause pieces of the map to teleport into the sky. The reactions of your enemies are also quite entertaining, as they come to fight you and land up attempting to siege a Large Siege Tower. I don't mean to say it's MORE important than the enjoyment of competition focused players, but I think it's just as. People create video games to have fun, and i'm not saying winning isn't fun, but I think a LOT of the fun of c-rpg, comes from the creativity of the players. For one round, go and look at people's faces. It's just one creative way people like to have fun (down syndrome, shovel face, etc)

Honestly, I think the competition minded should have to adapt and respect the construction crew people JUST as much as the construction crew people are 'required' to respect them.

Offline Lemon_

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 09:40:18 pm »
+1
Quote from: Rumblood
Personally I think that both factions need to adapt to the supported mechanics, using the guidelines above. Construction equipment can be very effective when placed properly, not at the edges of the map or out of the way areas (in general). Players who work together as a team will win more consistently than those who do not. Charging recklessly is a valid play style and I will not counsel you to stop doing what you find fun, but if winning is what you find fun, you might consider working with the resources given in the game in the way of controlling cavalry charges and blocking arrow storms and that means cooperating with teammates who must build these fortifications in useful places for the team.

Offline Tyefire

• Baron
  • Renown: 111
  • Infamy: 76
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 10:01:43 pm »
Showed how much of a crybaby anders was.
You can breathe..this is not a dream I really just slayed you.

Offline Lemon_

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 10:23:51 pm »
Shows how much of a crybaby anders still is.

ftfy

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 10:25:47 pm »
Weapon racks + siege walls/stakes definitely help thrower groups. As far as anything else goes, no.

Offline Lemon_

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 10:27:10 pm »
Quote from: JesusChrist
Anders you made it out like they were intentionally trying to crash the server, they build a siege tower once and about half the server dropped. This game needs more engineers and builders to spice the game up and provide entertainment.