Author Topic: I can Pike and so can you.  (Read 10465 times)

Offline Relit

• Duke
  • Renown: 574
  • Infamy: 109
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Relit
Re: I can Pike and so can you.
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2014, 01:04:13 pm »
Wait until hill sees this nice job though relit what's ur build out of curiosity (im expecting 12-27 or 12-30)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I actually respecced to a split build a few months back to try out the effectiveness of 7 PS. I am liking it so far but the vast majority of my "piking career" has been under the standard 18/24. Since I wear medium to light armor weight I can get away with not having to go higher than 24 in agi. The general rule that I follow is: Be faster than the guys you are supporting.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 01:09:06 pm by Relit »

Offline Chris_the_Animal

• Duke
  • Renown: 663
  • Infamy: 183
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Chris
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2014, 03:59:04 pm »
Helpful Guide, thanks therefor.

I am actually using a similar build, just with 8PS and less WM. I think WM is quite important for the Pike aswell, as you will not be fast enough to support in the right moment, right?
Bros never die!

Offline Relit

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2014, 04:14:06 pm »
Helpful Guide, thanks therefor.

I am actually using a similar build, just with 8PS and less WM. I think WM is quite important for the Pike aswell, as you will not be fast enough to support in the right moment, right?

Exactly. No matter how small the speed increase (and also tiny bit of damage), its worth having just in case. I will say though that after a lot of personal testing with low WPF, you can still be effective at piking but its sort of a different style. When I was using low wpf (and high str), I found myself getting a few more kills but at the expense of speed and possibly saving teammates.

Offline SP1N

• Duke
  • Renown: 585
  • Infamy: 22
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: N1PS, SP1N
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2014, 05:01:59 pm »
I went 13/30 (13/27 for level 30) for a long time, and I still find it to be a perfect support build. Once you're used to "correct" positioning and footwork though, it's nicer to have more power strike and I'd recommend a balanced build.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Killer

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
  • NA's Worst Longspearman
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Former BlackCompany Member, Current HoC member
  • Game nicks: HoC_Mr_Killer
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2014, 12:05:50 am »

I actually respecced to a split build a few months back to try out the effectiveness of 7 PS. I am liking it so far but the vast majority of my "piking career" has been under the standard 18/24. Since I wear medium to light armor weight I can get away with not having to go higher than 24 in agi. The general rule that I follow is: Be faster than the guys you are supporting.
k cool

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2014, 10:07:10 am »
Best thread i've seen in a long time, haveth plus at thee.

Also, at times an enemy will break through your lines with the intention of "killing that annoying pikeman" - don't try to fight him, just walk straight past him so he misses his swing and search for your teammates again.

Tl;dr: dont try to roflcopter duel as itll only get you killed. :P
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline Relit

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2014, 02:38:57 am »
+3

How to "slap that shaft around like a wet noodle":

The Pike is a weapon of strange properties. For one, it is the longest weapon in the game and second, the sweetspot for hitting your target occasionally appears to be halfway down the shaft. As talked about earlier, remember to keep your enemy to your front and right, it makes for easier attacking and less likely to hit friendlies nearby. Stab and then sidestep to the left and it will almost instantly hit a lightly armed enemy in front of you. It will glance off the higher armor guys. I use this attack to surprise the quick, light armor guys who try to close in fast with me and spam me to death.

Now this 'technique' is very iffy and I try to use it sparingly due to its high chance of glancing. To the enemy player it looks like you are slapping them with the shaft aka hilarious.

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2014, 11:20:59 pm »
+2

How to "slap that shaft around like a wet noodle":

The Pike is a weapon of strange properties. For one, it is the longest weapon in the game and second, the sweetspot for hitting your target occasionally appears to be halfway down the shaft. As talked about earlier, remember to keep your enemy to your front and right, it makes for easier attacking and less likely to hit friendlies nearby. Stab and then sidestep to the left and it will almost instantly hit a lightly armed enemy in front of you. It will glance off the higher armor guys. I use this attack to surprise the quick, light armor guys who try to close in fast with me and spam me to death.

Now this 'technique' is very iffy and I try to use it sparingly due to its high chance of glancing. To the enemy player it looks like you are slapping them with the shaft aka hilarious.

Alternatively, you could use the cheesier technique that I prefer with long polearms of looking straight up into the sky, releasing the stab, and bringing your pokestick down upon the enemy. You'll hit them in the head most times, it can go around downblocks if you get very good at it, it can go over teammates' heads, and best of all, it makes people absolutely livid.

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2014, 12:55:22 am »
it can go around downblocks if you get very good at it
I don't think it's possible unless the enemy accidently turns away from you.
Probably people just often release their downblock when they see this weird move and get confused?

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2014, 08:23:57 am »
I don't think it's possible unless the enemy accidently turns away from you.
Probably people just often release their downblock when they see this weird move and get confused?

That is more likely, but it seems as though with a longspear or pike (mostly longspear) I am able to get enough elevation that my stab simply bypasses their downblock. I did a generation to level 35 playing longspear about half the time and I was able to do it quite often.

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline rebbrown

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RebBrown, RebBrewn, RobBrewn, TimursLameBrother.
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2014, 03:56:25 pm »
+1
You have my everlasting love for using a MoM screenshot.