Author Topic: Any other NA Wars?  (Read 14604 times)

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
Re: not really sorry
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2014, 08:56:39 pm »
+8
Hearing some spoiled college-educated kid (malaclypse, not you legs) recite statistics for why drugs are good and should be legal, is a lot like hearing some teetotaler get in front of an AA meeting and tell them how bad alcohol is for them and how easy it is not to drink.  So yeah biased.

Gee, I didn't know I went to college! I'm pretty sure I graduated high school with a 1.8 GPA dude, and I'm pretty sure I'm a part of the working class who happens to have a library card where he can obtain these mystical objects called books, you know, with words forming cogent thoughts inside 'em, the ability to be cross referenced with one another to determine the veracity of information presented, etc. However, none of this really matters because you can't just attack the person and expect that to be the same thing as attacking their argument- that's called an ad hominem attack, and you don't have to go to college to understand that.

Anyhow, I never claimed that I was without bias, what I would like to know is how my bias relates to the growing number of scientists (people who understand the way substances interact with our brains, minds, bodies- risks and benefits) , law enforcement officers (people who understand how prohibition hurts individuals, families), and policy makers (people who can enact social reform) who want to end prohibition.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

I don't know why they feel its necessary to try and get people to think like them when it comes to politics or religion, as if it somehow validates their opinion and self-identity if they can brainwash others to think like them, but I have no taste for being a part of it.

I don't need you to validate my opinion, nor do I expect you to change your mind on anything, ever, lol. You're my equal and can believe whatever you want- I'm not trying to get you to use mind altering substances, I'm trying to get you and others to reconsider their position as to their legality, to give ME the freedom to do so (because my freedom to fuck who I want, use what substances I want, these never ought to have been anyone's fucking business but my own), because people's lives are at stake. I wouldn't have to try to convince people if other people hadn't change the rules fifty years ago because they wanted to start a War on Some Drugs to make a profit.

The people in this country who use aren't being informed properly and are suffering draconian punishments (thankfully this is starting to change) when caught in some jurisdictions, the people who have to live under oppressive drug regimes in other countries due to prohibition on them started by the USA and adopted worldwide by force or coercion, the people who might be helped to recover by psychedelics, their lives have value and meaning and prohibition hurts them far more than it helps (heroin use is damaging, but you know what else is damaging? being in the prison system with violent offenders for non-violent crimes, for one). It's necessary to try to get others to consider these things because we are weak when we are divided. We can only make social reforms together. Nobody was pushing for the rights of people of color alone, nobody's pushing for the rights of LGBT people alone, nobody's pushing for the rights of workers alone. The only way you can engage and change institutions and laws is together.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Bronto

• Head NA admin
  • King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 268
    • View Profile
Re: Any other NA Wars?
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2014, 09:05:52 pm »
+3
Inb4 Kesh makes no sense.
(click to show/hide)
I went to college a long time ago. I approve this message.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2014, 09:18:10 pm »

Heroin is dangerous- nobody is saying that it's not, but it doesn't take a genius to consider for a second the notion that it's more dangerous outlawed than not. When it's outlawed, you have to deal with: the danger of the drug itself- you don't know HOW pure it is, you don't know if it's been adulterated; the exposure to a criminal network; the threat of jail time; the lack of a support base for helping you with your addiction (because it is criminalized). If it were legalized and available we could get rid of a larger amount of those threats while simultaneously better informing the public about its dangers instead of focusing on just-say-no fear mongering which at this point is glaringly ineffective in curtailing use.  Do you see how peoples lives have been destroyed by these drugs under prohibition- a system where they get no help to combat their problems? No hope for outreach because of fear of being locked up? If you don't die from abuse and are "lucky" enough to get caught you spend years in prison and then are stigmatized as a criminal when you go back to society. Putting citizens in prison is a shitty stop-gap of a "solution".  The above goes for coke as in case of the unfortunate person who Bob spoke of.

Wow, this is just more heavily biased then the others.  First, completely ignore methodone clinics (have had friends where this helped) and other treatments (most convictions for heroin and other life-threatening drugs are accompanied by requirements to stay off the drug during parole/probation with various programs to help keep them off the drug and vast avst majority of first time offenders with a small amount of substance (users, not sellers) plea bargain down to probation). 

Your "legalizing" making it more safe is just ludicrous - it would expose a far greater number of people and at a younger age with easier accessibility and price to a highly addictive dangerous substance that kills thousands every year.  As easy as getting prescription medication except heroin and meth don't cure anything, just causes long-term damage and death.  It would be like saying its okay to allow everyone to buy/sell contaminated meat because at least its regulated contaminated meat so less dangerous than black market contaminated meat (though the people dying from salmonella and other poisonings die regardless of which kind they would get might disagree with you)

I'm trying to get you and others to reconsider their position as to their legality, to give ME the freedom to do so (because my freedom to fuck who I want, use what substances I want, these never ought to have been anyone's fucking business but my own), because people's lives are at stake.

So people's lives are at stake as to your reasoning for legalizing heroin.  The freedom to use what you want.  By that reasoning Anthrax should be legalized and mustard gas and meth labs, never mind that they severely affect the health and threaten the lives of many other people - as long as you get the freedom to kill yourself how you like.

I wouldn't have to try to convince people if other people hadn't change the rules fifty years ago because they wanted to start a War on Some Drugs to make a profit 

(Really??, lol and I guess Kennedy was killed by the CIA and we never actually landed on the moon too, right?.

P.S.  Makes sense, Bronto
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 09:28:36 pm by Keshian »
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Artyem

• King
  • Renown: 1218
  • Infamy: 264
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • SODOM Shaman
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul / Raven / SODOMY
  • Game nicks: Artyem
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2014, 01:09:32 am »
+7
Kennedy was killed by the moon, wake up sheeple.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sordida asinum latronibus sumus

Offline GOBBLINKINGREATLEADER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 515
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daruvian, GOBBLINKINGGREATLEADER
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2014, 01:58:24 am »
+3
drugs are bad now stop dumbposting

Offline Balikar

• Count
  • Renown: 173
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moonshine, Cruxton
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2014, 02:47:54 am »
+2
drugs are bad now stop dumbposting

And start shitposting.

Offline Bryggan

• Marshall
  • Renown: 727
  • Infamy: 207
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 13 Knights, HCE
  • Game nicks: Jerk, Asshole, Dumbass, etc.
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2014, 04:59:37 am »
So, do we have to start assigning wars?  I can equip a battle ready army in 2 or 3 trade runs, and take great pleasure in kicking ass... or getting my ass kicked.  I think we need to remind people that the idea of the game is not to win, but to slaughter, kill, destroy, and shed blood.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2014, 05:30:38 am »
So, do we have to start assigning wars?  I can equip a battle ready army in 2 or 3 trade runs, and take great pleasure in kicking ass... or getting my ass kicked.  I think we need to remind people that the idea of the game is not to win, but to slaughter, kill, destroy, and shed blood.

Kind of reminds me of an old game called Krush, Kill & Destroy (KKND for short).  Mid '90s overhead real-time strategy game in post-apocalyptic earth.  Random connections.  Pretty much most good strategy games involve a lot of fighting, sadly this iteration of strat is lacking in that department.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Canary

• Marshall
  • Renown: 826
  • Infamy: 202
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2014, 05:32:42 am »
So, do we have to start assigning wars?

MB vs. Occitan, Acre vs. Wardens, Squids vs. Vagabonds and black company and GForce leftovers, everybody else gets into a big dumb free for all.

Offline Bryggan

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2014, 07:19:51 am »
+1
MB vs. Occitan, Acre vs. Wardens, Squids vs. Vagabonds and black company and GForce leftovers, everybody else gets into a big dumb free for all.
I like that!  and Displaced Knights and Second Sons (DiKaSS for short) fights everyone (though keep free trade agreements).

Offline Bronto

• Head NA admin
  • King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 268
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2014, 03:08:45 am »
+1
You can't keep free trade agreements. Who will attack the traders?
(click to show/hide)

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2014, 08:55:53 am »
+1
Malaclypse, how do you feel about gun control?
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline SugarHoe

• Earl
  • Renown: 413
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Frisia
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2014, 12:51:03 am »
The problem here is that everyone knows each other.  We all go on each other's teamspeaks, get to know one another as individuals, and decide who are friends and enemies are by personality.

It would be nice if everyone made their decisions by the Strat map; attacking fiefs because of strategic or economic value, not because the owner shitposted them or TKed them twice in C-Rpg, and allied themselves with people not because they're cool, or they're dating their sister*, but because it will give you a temporary advantage which you might use against them later.

So I suggest everyone should be forced to change their game names so no one will know who's who (and revealing your identity would result in $200** fine and perma ban), people may only go on their clan's TS and no one else's, and all diplomacy must be done through letters written in a proper RP style (each one to be submitted to the fine people who got rid of the 'Hello Kitty' banner for approval before being sent).

Plus any clan that does not play in a proper Machiavellian style will be fined $100 per member.

This would lead to proper game play and perhaps a little less bitching.

*Yeah, I know.  True Strat players don't date.
** Canadian dollars.  Sent to me.
shut up nerd

Offline UnholyRolyPoly

• Earl
  • Renown: 348
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2014, 09:24:03 am »
+3
Wow, this is just more heavily biased then the others.  First, completely ignore methodone clinics (have had friends where this helped) and other treatments (most convictions for heroin and other life-threatening drugs are accompanied by requirements to stay off the drug during parole/probation with various programs to help keep them off the drug and vast avst majority of first time offenders with a small amount of substance (users, not sellers) plea bargain down to probation). 

Your "legalizing" making it more safe is just ludicrous - it would expose a far greater number of people and at a younger age with easier accessibility and price to a highly addictive dangerous substance that kills thousands every year.  As easy as getting prescription medication except heroin and meth don't cure anything, just causes long-term damage and death.  It would be like saying its okay to allow everyone to buy/sell contaminated meat because at least its regulated contaminated meat so less dangerous than black market contaminated meat (though the people dying from salmonella and other poisonings die regardless of which kind they would get might disagree with you)

So people's lives are at stake as to your reasoning for legalizing heroin.  The freedom to use what you want.  By that reasoning Anthrax should be legalized and mustard gas and meth labs, never mind that they severely affect the health and threaten the lives of many other people - as long as you get the freedom to kill yourself how you like.

(Really??, lol and I guess Kennedy was killed by the CIA and we never actually landed on the moon too, right?.

P.S.  Makes sense, Bronto
(click to show/hide)

Yes and no.  I completely agree with your take on the blackmarket vs free market use of drugs.  I've also seen a lot of people throw their lives away on heavy drugs.  But our current approach is certainly not working.  Some of the laws look good on paper.  But things like "Drug Court" are not effective.  A lot of people just end up back in jail.  We're not giving people treatment in most cases... only punishment.  The free market aspect of Heroin provides and entirely new problem.  It will be cheap and widely available.  People will be more likely to use it and unlike "soft drugs" it's life changing.  My wife's cousin shot himself in the head over crack.  He told me he started.... because he was 16 years old and caught his uncle smoking it.  He asked him why.... and his uncle said, "once you take your first hit you can't go back."  He bet he could and hit the pipe.  10 years later and a long struggle in and out of clinics (and jail) he shot himself.  Never underestimate the power of stupidity among young people.  He was a good dude.  And he when he was clean he was normal.

However there are a multitude of factors which play into drug abuse.  Economic circumstances are high on the list.  We don't try to improve the lives of poor people.  We herd them like cattle.  We pull them into the projects where they will likely spend the rest of their lives with nothing.  Meanwhile the Department of Land Management owns like 80+% of Nevada lol.  We aren't creating economic prosperity.  We're arguing about the Washington Redskins.  If we can find ways for people to improve their own lives... they will have pride... and it will improve the overall culture.  That will be handed down from generation to generation creating a passive resistance to things like drug abuse.  Check the numbers of people who take the worst roads in life.  Most come from broken homes etc etc.  The overall cultural conditions in the poorest areas are as bad as the economic ones.  It's all decaying....  And those areas are America's Heartland when it comes to crack, Aids, Meth, and general abuse.  That's what happens when you treat people like animals. 

And of course.... as bad as I feel for the people who end up on hard drugs....  You can't ignore the overall economic circumstances of the nation and the pathetic status of the drug war.  We aren't just losing.  We are diving head first into catastrophe.  We put more and more people into the same conditions mentioned above trying to over regulate the marketplace.  Though I agree the hardest drugs should be illegal.  We could save a lot of money and lives decriminalizing some of them.  How many billions of dollars go to the drug war that could go to education?  How many trillions are we spending that we don't even have?  We're devaluing the money supply to the point the middle and lower classes have nothing.  Can we really point to the drug war and say that criminalization is working?  Is THAT where we should spend our peoples efforts? 

There are so many things which should be addressed via law.  But doing so creates an overall burden on the people.  The use of drugs are a personal choice heavily influenced by cultural and economic conditions.  Most action taken by government is detrimental to those conditions (even though it is meant to be positive.)  Take a step back from most MAJOR policies and ask yourself if it's working..... the answer is usually no.  If it is yes then it is barely so.  Furthermore there is a greater question of which level of government can actually be effective combating such a problem.  Local police are obviously on the forefront.  Most if not all states have specialized task forces for Drug Enforcement.  And of course the Federal Govermnment is spending billions both supporting and furthering the war on drugs.  The CIA was running guns for drugs in Vietnam and I have no doubt they are doing the same today.  As Milton Friedman said....  You can put the Federal Government in Charge of the Sahara Desert and there will be a shortage of sand with 5 years.  Government in general may not be the answer.  It's the quick solution.  It's the first solution which pops into peoples minds with a problem of this magnitude.  But how did it work out with prohibition?  It spurred decades of organized crime who btw.... shifted from illegal liquor to illegal drugs lol.  Are we not doing the same thing over again?  Are we only looking at the victims of drug abuse here are are we looking at the whole picture.  We are creating the conditions for a massive international crime organization who murders tens of thousands a year in Mexico, Columbia, and the United States.  And yet... we are no more successful that we were in the 1980's. 

I do not believe Heroin should be widely available in the free market.  "Tax for Treatment" doesn't work for Tobacco and it won't work for Heroin.  Politicians will use the money to for a New Program on the dangers of Bullying leaving the poor heroin addicts to die alone.  It's just in their nature to be stupid.  But we could take a step in the right direction legalizing things like Marijuana and possibly even cocaine.  I don't know how far we could go to strike a proper balance.  Clearly some are worse than others.

And just a side note on the legalization of Marijuana.......

Consider what happened with tobacco.  It was legal and widely available since the founding of the country.  Then in the early 1900's our government decided that tobacco needed to be regulated.  All of the sudden small farmers couldn't grow and sell it to consumers and big tobacco was born.  Farmers had to sell to the big companies who then sold to the consumers.  Before long they cut out the American farmers altogether lol.  Within a couple decades they "enhanced" the product to the point cigarettes are no longer tobacco.... they are paper... soaked in a tobacco nicotine solution that is a lot more addictive than the native plant. 

If we truly legalize Marijuana there will be quality control issues.  Some people will do bad things and put bad things in their products.  There will be news stories of these events and they will be blown up to appear as though they are common.  In reality they will be isolated incidents of stupid people doing stupid things which will put them out of business fast.  Nonetheless People will demand regulation.  Instead of local farmers/people growing and selling to their neighbors....  BIG WEED will be born.  And within a few decades it will ALL be imported from Mexico.  It will no longer be Marijuanna but paper soaked in a THC/HydroCloricaligockjigudfide Solution.  And of course to top it off.... once the product is completely addictive and 1k times worse than the worst form of the original plant the government will sue...  Sin Taxes will be levied...  and politicians will use the money to fund Vasectomies for Puppies leaving the poor BIG WEED victims to die alone.  It's just the way fucking politicians think. 

« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 09:52:09 am by UnholyRolyPoly »

Offline Bryggan

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2014, 09:39:47 pm »
shut up nerd
I will not shut up!  I strongly believe that any strongly enforced rules that help me micro-manage everyone and makes me a lot of money is worth it.

And I'm not a nerd.  I test experimental military aircraft during the day and play saxophone in a New Orleans blues joint at night, and I date a different supermodel every week.