Author Topic: EVE: Legion  (Read 1075 times)

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
EVE: Legion
« on: May 04, 2014, 01:15:58 am »
So, CCP, the creators of EVE: Online has announced they are releasing a sandbox FPS with a mix of PvE and PvP. Dust 514  burned and crashed (and never made it to the PC to begin with) so I'm sceptical but hopeful. They video is sparse but still very early. Will be following this with interest. Below is a bunch of articles from various site:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/2/5674892/project-legion-PC-CCP
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/05/02/eve-legion-fps-announced/ (video)
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/05/03/project-legion-eve-online-preview-interview/
Monkeys!

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: EVE: Legion
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 02:26:49 am »
Hm, this can work. I hope they follow EVE's sandboxiness with this, otherwise it'll be just another Planetside 2, but it does seem like they are heading that direction.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 737
  • Infamy: 553
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 02:38:02 am »
They seem to take the same route as Wargaming or Gaijin, making number of different games each for one aspect of their envisioned game. EVE Online, Dust 514, EVE Valkyrie and now this.

Must say I prefer integrated approach of Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous. Also, their universe is dull and unimaginative, unlike setting and theme of each aforementioned games.

Besides, after killing Vampire MMO I kinda despise CCCP.

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • Renown: 636
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 03:45:19 am »
Besides, after killing Vampire MMO I kinda despise CCCP.

damn russians, first they kill our vampire game, then they take crimea, whats next?

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 08:28:36 am »
They should probably stop wasting so much money on projects like these and concentrate on their main niche.

First it was walking in stations which seems to have been a giant waste of years of development, resources and cash
Then a random attempt at an FPS on consoles, when they have no experience with FPS's or consoles. They didn't know the audience and why anyone on console would want something that ties into a spaceship mmo when they just want to play stuff like CoD

Now they have three projects? Dust 514 on PC which might not find an audience and be a giant waste of money/time. And an FPS/MMO that will take many years to see the light of day if they genuinely go the sandbox mmo route. That while developing and running Eve Online. I wouldn't be surprised if they go under at some point, especially if people start to lose interest in Eve as it is over 10 years old now and alternative games will surface at some point
If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2365
  • Infamy: 1836
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 03:29:37 pm »
Dust 514 has been canceled or in other worlds, will die soon. It will not come on PC. This thing will replace it.

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 05:48:39 pm »
Wahoo

A PC port of a terrible playstation shooter!

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 11:44:42 am »
damn russians, first they kill our vampire game, then they take crimea, whats next?

Ukraine, entire :p

Now that was an easy one.

I doubt this will work tbh, its like a slow-paced halo from what I saw in the video. For me allure of EVE has always been the sandbox aspect of the game. Being able to -sort of- go wherever you wanted. From the level menu this just seems like an FPS with a shitload of maps, if every star on that map is an actual map ofcourse.

Must say I prefer integrated approach of Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous. Also, their universe is dull and unimaginative, unlike setting and theme of each aforementioned games.

If these games bring to the table what I hope they will these could possibly be my favourites of all time. But its tricky to incorporate all those different things in a single ánd make them sync well.. Still I gp to church every sunday fto pray for these games and their devs!  :lol:
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 11:48:46 am by Joseph Porta »
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 10:51:49 am »
Some stuff about Legion makes me think it's on the right track, like:

"Gaudechon stressed that the sandbox aspect of Eve is something they wanted to bring to Project Legion, and these scavenging areas are a large part of that charge. In high security areas there will be no friendly fire, and you can let your guard down a bit. In low-security areas things get a little bit scarier; there is friendly fire, and any bonds of friendship are verbal only. You can be betrayed at any time for the loot." -Polygon

That's my favourite part of EVE, exploring hostile territory. If they can somehow translate that into an FPS I'd be happy. Makes me think they've been playing a lot of DayZ.

And no, Dust has not been cancelled, they will continue to support it and there will be some sort of migration from it to Legion for those who wants to (why anyone would play Dust is beyond me, though). I'm intrigued by Legion, but they have a lot to prove after the  Dust 514 debacle. 

Funny, I find both those worlds are dull and unimaginative and EVE rich and complex (the massive scale of the game and it's economy is mind boggling).
Monkeys!

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 1071
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 12:39:01 pm »
EVE's economy is great just because it has passed 10 year since release. It is completely player driven, after all. Star Citizen should have combination of NPC and player driven economy very similar in scope to EVE's economy. As for Elite, I'm not sure what are they striving for in that department.

Can you give me an example of epic EVE lore or characters that are known among general gaming crowd? Game has been out for a decade, just like WoW. Everyone knows Illidan, Arthas and Thrall (and many other major Warcraft characters). But I've never heard of such widely known character from EVE universe.

Star Citizen has at least a year until full release and it already has more written lore than EVE. Elite: Dangerous is based on 30 years old universe. Besides, it is very realistic. Not a fantasy world like EVE or Star Citizen.

Stuff you quoted has been announced for Star Citizen as well. While CIG aren't champions of sticking to their own deadlines, they are much better in that department than CCP. How long you waited to be able to explore interior of the ship? Five years, isn't it?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 12:42:09 pm by Leshma »

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 03:27:54 pm »
+1
Everything in EVE is player driven, from economy to famous battles. It doesn't have or need predefined story heroes, it has actual historical events which took place in game instead. If your interested in the Lore there is plenty on the official site (if it's more or less than Star Citizen I don't know).

As far as I know, neither game have a functional economical system, least not integrated with a multiplayer experience. When they do and there's something to comment on, let me know. I'm extremely sceptical that either game can produce even an iota of the [lore building] events hundred of thousand of EVE players have created during these ten plus years. 

The stuff I quoted is already in EVE obviously, but was never in Dust 514 (or intended for it). It's good to see that they recognize one of their main features.

Journalist Kickstarting a book about EVEs player history: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sciencegroen/a-history-of-the-great-empires-of-eve-online

The most recent "famous battle" of EVE.
Wired on the battle: http://www.wired.com/2014/02/eve-online-battle-of-b-r/

Monkeys!

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 05:47:40 pm »
since i started playing EvE, i wanted to land on planets, transforming the game into FPS. then they started the walking-in-stations® (since 2006) hype that turned out to be completely superiour to the duke nukem 4ever hype.

EvE is epic game and there will never be anything like it. but there is a limit how much soup they can cook on that space-bone. EvE is EvE and its been EvE since day 1. in the past 11ish years they gave us stuff disguised as content but in reality it was just mini-games that didnt really add to the big picture of EvE.