Author Topic: Scimitar is a crap weapon and it offers no advantage whatsoever  (Read 1188 times)

Offline Yazid

• tEh eNl1gTh3N3d!1!!
  • Baron
  • Renown: 99
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
Re: Scimitar is a crap weapon and it offers no advantage whatsoever
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 06:45:43 pm »
+11
How exactly did you come to the conclusion that the curve is what makes the weapon glance?
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Yazid

• tEh eNl1gTh3N3d!1!!
  • Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 06:46:51 pm »
How exactly did you come to the conclusion that the curve is what makes the weapon glance?

Have you tried that damn thing? Try doing some rounds with scimitar and elite scimitar, and see how terrible a weapon the scimitar is, you're better off with a butter knife from NW

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 06:49:54 pm »
+3
Yes, but what does the curve have to do with how often it glances?
In fact the scimitar's curve makes it unrealistically glance like nobodys business

Collision detection, and damage, is the same, regardless of the weapon model. The only differences are found in the weapon type, the exact item length stat, and damage values(such as your PS and the weapon's damage value).
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 06:52:59 pm by Tydeus »

Offline Dark_Blade

• Count
  • Renown: 210
  • Infamy: 100
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Dark_Blade, Fallen_Templar_the_Grey, Jeric_Whistlebone
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 06:53:07 pm »
in native form of the sword meant something in armor break(or damage calculating, not sure) because of hitboxes... and actually curve swords was better then simple ones. not sure how come that scimitar is glancing even here.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Yazid

• tEh eNl1gTh3N3d!1!!
  • Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 06:57:52 pm »
The Niuweidao is a much better weapon much more damage, and faster (how idk) and the chances of it glancing are minimal at best, however the right swing with scimitar glances pointblank, even with enough space to let the arm swing, it doesn't justify its shorter range from the elite scimitar if the scimitar glances more... I think there are plenty other people who know what I'm talking  about, in terms of balance I think this weapon needs serious re-balancing.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 07:13:25 pm »
+6
in native form of the sword meant something in armor break(or damage calculating, not sure) because of hitboxes... and actually curve swords was better then simple ones. not sure how come that scimitar is glancing even here.
It doesn't. Warband creates a straight "bar" that extends from the hand, any time this bar intersects with a player's hit-capsule(when the attacker is in the weapon's release_anim, animation), warband registers a hit. The orientation of this bar depends solely on the weapon type.

Edit for clarification: The only time damage calculations intersect with when and where a weapon hits, is when deciding the bone penalty, and the sweetspot penalty. Neither of these two cases will be affected by a sword's curve, as the collision bar's orientation, as stated earlier, doesn't care about the shape of a weapon's model.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 07:17:53 pm by Tydeus »

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 07:26:03 pm »
+1
Scimitar is a great weapon that I've been using a lot. If you don't make the curved model your advantage it's not worth it, but if you do, it's awesome!
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Yazid

• tEh eNl1gTh3N3d!1!!
  • Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 07:26:23 pm »
It doesn't. Warband creates a straight "bar" that extends from the hand, any time this bar intersects with a player's hit-capsule(when the attacker is in the weapon's release_anim, animation), warband registers a hit. The orientation of this bar depends solely on the weapon type.

Edit for clarification: The only time damage calculations intersect with when and where a weapon hits, is when deciding the bone penalty, and the sweetspot penalty. Neither of these two cases will be affected by a sword's curve, as the collision bar's orientation, as stated earlier, doesn't care about the shape of a weapon's model.

In theory

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 08:35:24 pm »
+6
In theory
If by theory, you mean scientific theory? What you're purporting does not stand up to the actual facts of the matter.  :oops:

The blade is illusive, that's all there is to it. I'm not saying it has no impact on performance, only that the impact is limited to perception.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 08:07:57 pm »
+3
By this same logic, the Niuweidao should be vastly better than the Liuyedao. However, most cRPG players would gladly take 1 speed over 1 cut damage, which explains why the Liuyedao is actually about TWICE as popular as the Niuweidao (according to the most recently-posted NA server stats).

Now, the Elite Scimitar happens to be the most popular 1h in NA (way more popular than the Scimitar), but I don't think that has anything to do with more glancing as you claim. At least on NA, the Elite Scimitar achieved legendary status in the hands of Balbaroth, and I think he inspired hoards of copycats (he hasn't played in like a year, but I still see people wearing his gear combo).

The extreme curvature of the regular Scimitar makes it look odd (both for the wielder and opponents), and I guess people just don't like the aesthetics. Stats-wise, the regular Scimitar is quite nice (it's the fastest 1h weapon with anywhere near that much reach), so it's all in your head.

The blade is illusive, that's all there is to it.

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Renown: 870
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pixel Paladins
  • Game nicks: Cock_Blockula Kunt_Blockula Daunt_Flockula
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 07:16:34 pm »
+1
It's curvy blade always fools me and I end up getting whipped with it over and over again, thinking "there is no way that thing is gonna reach and hit me from that angle". Needless to say it does everytime.

Can't see why you think it is crap. Some people have been specifically using it quite successfully.

Offline MURDERTRON

• King
  • Renown: 1337
  • Infamy: 428
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TRUMP / WEST 2020
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 02:04:58 am »
+2
I think the Scimitar's length stat more closely represents its model than the Elite Scimitar does.  What I'm saying is that Scimitar doesn't have the absurd ghost reach of the Elite Scimitar, and is therefor a much worse weapon.
▀█▀▒█▀█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒█▒█▀█▒▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█
▒█▒▒█▄█▒█▒█▒██▒██▒█▄█▒▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒█
▒█▒▒█▀▄▒█▄█▒█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒▄

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2014, 10:22:47 am »
(ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 10:44:28 am »
I would take the scimitar over the elite scimitar every time. Speed is essential, and the elite scimitar looks extremely silly to me,.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?