Poll

Will Putin command further invasion of Ukraine:

He will and he should, because <random witty/boring reason>
He will, but he should not, because <random witty/boring reason>
He will not, because <random witty/boring reason>
Who is mister Putin?

Author Topic: Meanwhile in Ukraine  (Read 485349 times)

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
Re: Meanwhile in Ukraine
« Reply #3630 on: May 08, 2014, 08:10:24 pm »
By unarmed I think he meant that they arent actively supplied in armement by the government  :P 
Of course since they are kind of nationalist rebels, they will always find ways to arms themselves and do some shit, at least to a point; that point being proportionate to how badly the government fight them and their influence.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 08:15:18 pm by Butan »

Offline serr

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 293
  • Infamy: 19
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wataga
« Reply #3631 on: May 08, 2014, 08:10:45 pm »
Just nitpicking, but same as Maidan, where Yanukovitch had basically accepted all demands in the last days of the protests, it didnt make the protest stop...

As long as people keep going out in the streets and doing random things, its not over; admitedly, it cannot be stopped until you accept to resign (and sometimes not even then), this is why I think its way too easy to just overthrow whole goverments these days. Its like the opposite of personality cult, as long as there is "that guy" or "that group" at power positions, it wont stop. Or until some really bad things happens.

Partially agree here. When Yanukovich accepted those demands it was too late, he crossed the line(even if he had nothing to do with those snipers). Probably it's too late now as well in Donetsk and Luhansk region, but government guaranteed protection for russian language(lol, like it needed any protection here), decentralisation of power, right to elect governors or whoever will replace them in hierarchy of power before protesters in the East started capturing weapons. Incident when police forces surrounded Right Sector in hotel in Kiev and made them disarm also took place before that.

So why? Why are these people ready to start civil war? Do they really think it will make their lives better?

Offline Butan

• King
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: May 08, 2014, 08:13:51 pm »
Partially agree here. When Yanukovich accepted those demands it was too late, he crossed the line(even if he had nothing to do with those snipers). Probably it's too late now as well in Donetsk and Luhansk region, but government guaranteed protection for russian language(lol, like it needed any protection here), decentralisation of power, right to elect governors or whoever will replace them in hierarchy of power before protesters in the East started capturing weapons. Incident when police forces surrounded Right Sector in hotel in Kiev and made them disarm also took place before that.

So why? Why are these people ready to start civil war? Do they really think it will make their lives better?

Try to go to a pro-ru Ukrainian and tell him that  russian language is protected, power is decentralized, governors are self appointed by locals; maybe it will mean something to some but most of them will laugh at your face.
Not saying its the right answer, just that its the common reaction when things have passed the point of no return as you said  :?  maybe its still not that late, but if we just compare with maidan (I know, I always refer to this xD), as soon as people got badly injured/killed and many accusations were thrown around and everyone stopped trusting the government, it was too late.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #3633 on: May 08, 2014, 08:16:10 pm »

This nutjob  :mrgreen:

Be entertained, learn the truth!

It's like listening to RT, just crazier
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline serr

• OKAM Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: May 08, 2014, 08:17:04 pm »
By unarmed I think he meant that they arent actively armed by the government anymore  :P
And they never were.

Really? How right sector is unarmed? Because I don't have information about it. Can you give some links please
Incident when police forces surrounded Right Sector in hotel in Kiev and made them disarm also took place before that.
https://www.kyivpost.com/content/kyiv/interior-ministry-weapons-found-at-former-right-sector-headquarters-in-dnipro-hotel-341642.html

Offline DonNicko

• Earl
  • Renown: 367
  • Infamy: 95
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Remont
  • Faction: Druzhina
  • Game nicks: Druzhina_Nicko
« Reply #3635 on: May 08, 2014, 08:17:26 pm »
batalion Dnepro
(click to show/hide)
can somebody say what are they sing about?

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #3636 on: May 08, 2014, 08:18:36 pm »
batalion Dnepro
(click to show/hide)

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Butan

• King
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: May 08, 2014, 08:20:12 pm »
And they never were.

I meant that in the funny way, that they never were armed by the government, but I think that those that want to be armed are still armed by their own volition  :wink:  (weapon smuggling etc)

Offline DonNicko

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Remont
« Reply #3638 on: May 08, 2014, 08:21:57 pm »
It' a really pitty that russians and ukrainians are angry on each other. My grandma live in Kiev and neighboors dont speak with her, because she is russian. Few monthes ago everything was OK. I talked with her today

Offline Butan

• King
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: May 08, 2014, 08:33:42 pm »

Not saying its not true what he says (I may listen to the vid later), but he isnt the first to label a video/article with the word "truth" and "real", making everyone liars in opposition  :P

Offline serr

• OKAM Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: May 08, 2014, 08:35:52 pm »
batalion Dnepro
Wow, looks silly. Not sure if it's true or fake, probably fake, but who knows... but this batallion started forming after latest events, not before and consist of volunteers, so yes, obviously there are a lot of nationalists there. Still it's ok as long as they follow orders.

It' a really pitty that russians and ukrainians are angry on each other.
True, I hope we will understand each other and stop accuse each other in different horrible things. Not gonna happen in nearest future though :(

My grandma live in Kiev and neighboors dont speak with her, because she is russian. Few monthes ago everything was OK. I talked with her today
And here let me not believe you. If she has pro-rus views and express them openly - then yes, that's rather expected.
But just for being russian - 100% wrong. There are too many russians in Ukraine and most ukrainians have russian relatives for that to be true.
I spent last week travelling in western Ukraine and Kiev and I didn't see russophobia there. People are afraid of and hate Russia and its actions, but not russians.

Offline DonNicko

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Remont
« Reply #3641 on: May 08, 2014, 08:50:55 pm »
And here let me not believe you. If she has pro-rus views and express them openly - then yes, that's rather expected.
But just for being russian - 100% wrong. There are too many russians in Ukraine and most ukrainians have russian relatives for that to be true.
I spent last week travelling in western Ukraine and Kiev and I didn't see russophobia there. People are afraid of and hate Russia and its actions, but not russians.
Maybe not in all Ukraine, but this what my grandma said. People getting colder. She lives in Kozin 15 minutes from Kiev in own house.

Offline serr

• OKAM Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: May 08, 2014, 09:02:45 pm »
Maybe not in all Ukraine, but this what my grandma said. People getting colder. She lives in Kozin 15 minutes from Kiev in own house.

Not colder, people are getting more radical and that's not surprising. Usually people don't care about politics and build their relations, friendship without caring of each others political views, but now it would be difficult for me to call a friend someone who supported rebels in Slovyansk and welcomed killing of our soldiers. I expect it would be even more difficult for him to call me a friend. And I know real examples when people who were friends for ages started to dislike each other after last events. And the futher it goes, the more people will die - the worse it will get.

Offline DonNicko

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Remont
« Reply #3643 on: May 08, 2014, 09:10:56 pm »
Drama is that in Slovyansk almost all the town is rebels. And propoganda in Ukraine as I know is strong, and in Russia there is propaganda against west Ukraine and new authorities in Kiev. As I know Turchinow is a baptist preecher, then it doesnt come to my mind why he supported this revolution and Timoshenko? Because Bible exactly against any revolution. I was born in baptism church.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: May 08, 2014, 09:39:37 pm »
The more I hear the rebels in the East talking, the more I realize how huge the information gap is between us, regardless of where the actual facts stand.

Even more importantly, I feel this gap would be much easier to overcome if I could understand the material that they are watching and conversely. Knowing only one language creates an ideological bubble.