Author Topic: Rain should slow down ALL projectiles  (Read 2817 times)

Offline haxKingdom

• Knight
  • Renown: 27
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Rain should slow down ALL projectiles
« on: November 16, 2013, 12:17:53 am »
The rain reduces bows and xbows so throwing too right? I'd say 15% is good

Offline Vermilion

• Count
  • Renown: 208
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vermilion
  • IRC nick: Vermilion
Re: Rain should slow down ALL projectiles
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 12:33:07 am »
+8
No, just stop rain slowing arrows and bolts.

Rain and fog are stupid features and should be removed from the game or reduced severely.

Why should a ranged play join a strat battle to find there's rain and their going to be less effective but melee are basically unaffected.
It's a game features like this and night time should only be used on maps built for them, the rest of the time it should be sunny blue skies.

Offline haxKingdom

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 01:07:05 am »
+2
Yes rain is unfair but for now it's still unrealistic that a game element affects the projectiles but not thrown ones.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 04:49:21 am »
+1

Offline Huscarlton_Banks

• Earl
  • Renown: 404
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
  • Blatant nudge spammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 06:17:08 am »
+1
The explanation for rain slowing down bows/crossbows in the TW forums was that it has an effect on the string, not that the rain increased air friction substantially.

I guess you could explain it as the throwing weapon slipping out of the user's hand prematurely, but it still wouldn't make sense for stones, smoke bombs, or throwing weapons that use the javelin grip anyway.

Offline haxKingdom

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 01:09:07 am »
+1
Pretty sure the glove wetness makes it lose its elastic frictional grip and the object is not firmly in grasp and does not receive full power. So maybe not a full 15% penalty but 10%.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 01:14:11 am by haxKingdom »

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
  • Renown: 1023
  • Infamy: 306
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Hermann_von_Krems
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 04:09:52 pm »
+3
Pretty sure the glove wetness makes it lose its elastic frictional grip and the object is not firmly in grasp and does not receive full power. So maybe not a full 15% penalty but 10%.

Should also cause increase knockdown time by 50% because of slippery ground. Also infantry should be even slower going up a wet hill and increase armor weight because your underwear gets soaked.

Bullshit

Offline Segd

• Marshall
  • Renown: 845
  • Infamy: 88
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 04:17:41 pm »
+5
Looks like melee needs random self-knockdown while moving when it rains & on snowy ground   :lol:

Offline spiritus

• Baron
  • Renown: 97
  • Infamy: 106
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Spiritus_de_Deceptio ---- Beeep
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 07:11:44 pm »
+2
Remove rain completely all that it does is annoy everyone and slow down everything. Slow movement speeds, crossbow damage is less, bow damage is less, and cav is slower.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 08:37:32 pm »
NERF rain!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Bonzereli

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 10:39:01 pm »
+1
Variety is the spice of life.
Many real life battles were won or lost because of the weather. Terrain and weather were integral to any battle really.
I find weather interesting for the same reason I find playing on maps other than arena interesting.
Different maps are better for different builds. Different weather is better for different builds.

As far as rain affecting throwing. I think the earlier point brought up was correct in that rain reduced the tension in the strings of bows and xbows. Also, thrown weapons have more mass and are therefore less affected by the interaction with rain drops.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 10:40:29 pm »
Lobbyist type typing detected.   :wink:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline haxKingdom

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 10:48:49 am »
Variety is the spice of life.
Many real life battles were won or lost because of the weather. Terrain and weather were integral to any battle really.
I find weather interesting for the same reason I find playing on maps other than arena interesting.
Different maps are better for different builds. Different weather is better for different builds.

As far as rain affecting throwing. I think the earlier point brought up was correct in that rain reduced the tension in the strings of bows and xbows. Also, thrown weapons have more mass and are therefore less affected by the interaction with rain drops.

Variety is good? As far as I can tell throwing is just another form of ranged and can be even more accurate. I've been hit consistently by javs from 50m away. Throwing weapons are slower and in the air for longer so I think wind and rain would be incredibly effective. If we're counting the strings getting wet then why don't we count the gloves? Makes no sense.

Offline Vermilion

• Count
  • Renown: 208
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vermilion
  • IRC nick: Vermilion
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 02:50:40 pm »
As far as I can tell throwing is just another form of ranged and can be even more accurate. I've been hit consistently by javs from 50m away.

Have you even played as different classes?

I really advise you and anyone else that wants to make a post about game balance to play all classes that are involved and under the situations you have included.

Go and play as melee, throwing, archery and Xbow both in sunny blue sky condition and in rain/fog.... Not just for 5 min, play for a bunch of levels (I would say 1-28 in each class)

If we're counting the strings getting wet then why don't we count the gloves? Makes no sense.

Did you miss all the posts where people mocked how stupid this suggestion is?

infantry should be even slower going up a wet hill and increase armor weight because your underwear gets soaked.
Looks like melee needs random self-knockdown while moving when it rains & on snowy ground   :lol:

Why don't you just include a 15% chance of melee dropping their weapons when its raining, their gloves get wet too.

Rain should effect all classes equally or no classes. This is not native where you can just change your class each life, if there is rain on a strat server, you're stuck with it.

Offline haxKingdom

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 03:59:09 pm »
Let's pick out this part

Rain should effect all classes equally

And I said throwing is a form of the ranged class, so there you go. All the mockery didn't address why "the strings are affected and it has to be that way cause realism" in the first place.