Author Topic: Is it worth looming bows now?  (Read 1598 times)

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
Is it worth looming bows now?
« on: June 30, 2013, 06:19:28 pm »
Since you don't have to have a full mw set to play archer now is it really worth it to loom a bow? Other then if you're using final_boss' pack of course! Should an archers priority be arrows first now?

Offline DreadCrusader

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Is it worth looming bows now?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 09:17:44 pm »
I have a mw bow and mw bodkins, maybe they will give me a slight edge on the field here and there, but imo I would not waste a loom point on either bow or arrows.

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 09:22:21 pm »
You still get accuracy, missile speed and drawing speed which is really important.

I'd say looming arrows is low-priority issue now since you only get more ammo, while you can pick up arrows in battle with no problems anyway. So looming arrows for me is like looming shield now - quite useful, but not really important.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 10:27:13 pm »
I don't see any reason not to loom your main weapon, no matter what it is. A 1H sword, a bow, a throwing lance, anything. If you are mainly going to be attacking with that one item, don't skip heirlooming it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Branches

• Noble
  • Renown: 24
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 11:10:21 pm »
+2
You still get accuracy, missile speed and drawing speed which is really important.

I assume the drawing speed would be represented by speed rating. If this is the case, drawing speed is not improved through looming a bow as speed rating is not improved. It can be a bit misleading on the "ranks" menu since it shows missile speed twice for no reason.

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 11:45:41 pm »
I assume the drawing speed would be represented by speed rating. If this is the case, drawing speed is not improved through looming a bow as speed rating is not improved. It can be a bit misleading on the "ranks" menu since it shows missile speed twice for no reason.
That's right, I forgot about it.

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 12:55:02 am »
+1
I only use one pack of arrows so looming arrows would be more of a priority for me I guess. Get more arrows in my quiver so I don't have to wrry about looking for em.

I think they should just reduce all unloomed bows damage by -1, and at MW to +1 damage and maybe arrows too. It would give more incentive to looming your bow. Like xbows are nicely balanced in that they deal damage if they're unloomed but you can still loom them for more damage.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 10:36:58 am »
Missile speed is the speed at which your arrow travels through the air after you fire it. Higher missile speed makes it much easier to hit your target; you don't need to aim as far ahead of your target to make the arrow hit them.

Speed is how fast you can draw the bow. Draw speed is very important, since you can't hold your shot like throwing or xbow can.

The damage increase to unloomed archery is good , but heirloomed bows are still worth the investment. When you have an enemy charging at you into melee range, you will be very glad that you can draw your bowstring faster.
WRONG
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 09:29:55 am by A_Hot_Elf_Princess »

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Wolfsblood

• Baron
  • Renown: 145
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Murder Boner
  • Game nicks: Wolfsblood_MB, Wolfsfang
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 10:48:09 am »
Missile speed is the speed at which your arrow travels through the air after you fire it. Higher missile speed makes it much easier to hit your target; you don't need to aim as far ahead of your target to make the arrow hit them.

Speed is how fast you can draw the bow. Draw speed is very important, since you can't hold your shot like throwing or xbow can.

The damage increase to unloomed archery is a good thing, but heirloomed bows are still worth the investment. When you have an enemy charging at you into melee range, you will be very glad that you can draw your bowstring faster.

This right here. You make it easier to hit targets at long range and u might save urself from being cut in half

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 06:12:15 pm »
+2
I thought bows didn't get an increase in draw speed, only accuracy and missile speed?

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 06:34:56 pm »
+1
True, only an increase in accuracy and missile speed. I still think that alone is reason enough to loom.

Offline Erzengel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 769
  • Infamy: 214
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Norse_Erzengel
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 09:45:08 am »
True, only an increase in accuracy and missile speed. I still think that alone is reason enough to loom.

Wrong, Masterwork bows get +2 speed, +2 missile speed and +1 accuracy (at least according to the website).

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 11:10:00 am »
+1
No, Erzengel, Speed = Missile speed, for whatever reason this stat is listed twice. I checked ingame, actual draw speed does not change.

Offline StormFaction

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 26
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: HG_Guard_Eryalus, HG_Igorrr
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 12:01:51 am »
I find the accuracy bonus extremely helpful on my +3 rus, I've noticed that since the patch I am.much more effective at long range.

Now if only I could see my arrows better... ;)

You can always count on old Beelzebub to throw the best LAN party, he eats children's dreams and shits out videogames.