Author Topic: Fips' Maps  (Read 7898 times)

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
  • Renown: 718
  • Infamy: 217
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Tomas
Re: Fips' Maps
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2012, 06:05:54 pm »
This river is coming from a huge mountain. Never actually saw that kind of river in M&B. Either i place it like it would actually look like, flowing down the mountain, or i don't place it at all. But i think i'll be just fine with the 2nd option, tried that water prop...it looked, well, interesting.

Place it flowing from under the mountain.  There are caves after all and from memory this is where the water flowed from.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2012, 06:35:52 pm »
This river is coming from a huge mountain. Never actually saw that kind of river in M&B. Either i place it like it would actually look like, flowing down the mountain, or i don't place it at all. But i think i'll be just fine with the 2nd option, tried that water prop...it looked, well, interesting.
Can't be placed flowing down a mountain, due to the way warband handles water the water shader (and drowning bar) will be applied whenever you're bellow the highest water prop, even if you're not actually standing beneath the props.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • Renown: 367
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • what? ... What? ... WHAT?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Ward of Mithrim
  • Game nicks: Warden_Thranduil The_Doctor
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2012, 08:15:00 pm »
Can't be placed flowing down a mountain, due to the way warband handles water the water shader (and drowning bar) will be applied whenever you're bellow the highest water prop, even if you're not actually standing beneath the props.

Wait....seriously? So does that mean that on this map:
(click to show/hide)
everyone would drown?....That would be one reason why it was removed ages ago.

Or does it apply in the y and z axes as well? The water prop is not the easiest to make use of imo and it looks pretty different from actual water in the game unless you're using DX9 (dummy devs).

On a more constructive note: if the mountain wherefore the spring cometh is far from players' reach or at least is not in the players' path, you may find yourself able to do use both the river water prop and actual water below level 0. Combine the two in a similar manner as the picture above so it looks like the water really is coming from the mountain.

Or not since everyone would drown....aw hell. Be back in 10. I'm gonna test this shit out!

**Update** Tested water prop for drowning with and without using WSE2. In neither case did drowning occur because of water_river prop. For reference, I tested normal drowning. I drowned. YAAAAAAY!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 09:06:21 pm by Thranduil »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2012, 08:36:40 pm »
Everyone not above that should drown, yes. Or at least everyone should see the underwater view.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2012, 08:43:06 pm »
Hmmm.... so vertical water is a no go now. Ergkh....

..... or is it?  8-)

**Update** Tested water prop for drowning with and without using WSE2. In neither case did drowning occur because of water_river prop. For reference, I tested normal drowning. I drowned. YAAAAAAY!

Go for it Fip!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 09:09:03 pm by Thranduil »

Offline Fips

• Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2012, 09:39:16 pm »
Well, i can place the creek on the lower grounds without problems, but as already mentioned, water prop looks ugly. Tested it on random mountains and failed horribly, and before all those mountains around are finished i really can't go for it =P
But the cave-idea is nice, i'll take a look for a good prop.

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2012, 10:07:28 pm »

Must be different in native then.

Offline Fips

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2012, 03:37:38 am »
+2
Okay, here are some screens how far i've come until now:

http://imgur.com/nI4qQ

http://imgur.com/59C0L

http://imgur.com/r2WHX

http://imgur.com/jTieQ

Still needs gates/doors/spawnpoints/ladders(siegetower, maybe), vegetation, buildings and some little details, but the structure is finished. Whaddaya think?

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2012, 07:25:41 am »
Okay, here are some screens how far i've come until now:

http://imgur.com/nI4qQ

http://imgur.com/59C0L

http://imgur.com/r2WHX

http://imgur.com/jTieQ

Still needs gates/doors/spawnpoints/ladders(siegetower, maybe), vegetation, buildings and some little details, but the structure is finished. Whaddaya think?

Hmm... Firstly, I shall let start the criticism part of the critique (don't worry. should be short. though I feel the need to download and scour over every detail.....*ahem* fanatic talking here.  :oops:)

1.  The Deeping Wall is approximately 20 ft tall and 4 men could stand abreast. Your Deeping Wall appears to be taller (though if it is only taller, then I would venture a guess that the width is only half as wide as the aforementioned 4 men standing abreast, based on my own past use of this prop.) which may serve better for the game than perfect accuracy would. It's a little hard to gauge size based on your little man standing in the cold. :P

2.  I do not see any way for fighters to go from the Deeping Wall to the Keep, unless it's that "tunnel" behind the Keep that you can't quite see into very well in the pics. I imagine though, that this is where one can get to the Keep from the Deeping Wall. If so, this particular complaint/critique is null.

3.  As I said before, it's hard to gauge what the size of this map really is. It appears quite large. Like, LARGE. Possibly overly so. Again, may be just fine with 30+ people scrambling about, but at the moment, it's hard to gauge.

Okay, criticism aside now...

Damn fine job working with the texturing and coloring of the terrain.
I like the water running from the cave. Behind the Deep were the Glittering Caves, so we've got a "Glittering Cave".

So far, other than my meager complaints, it looks pretty good. Out of curiousity, were you basing this more off the movie or the book?

Offline Fips

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2012, 11:50:41 am »
Will upload it once i feel like it's completely done =P

20ft is 6m and it's probably like 10m high, but since i used the same length/width on a bunch of props, i think i let it stay this way xD
Especially the area above the river-gate took me like for ever to build.
It is about 5 men broad, though, so that's actually accurate =D

Yes, the little passage on the second picture is the entrance to a tunnel that will lead right to the flag area. I will probably add a ladder from the wall or the ground behind the front wall to the first wall of the keep as well, so nobody is forced to go up those stairs. Apropos ladders: I was thinking 3 ladders to the front wall, 1 ladder right on top of the first wall of the keep and the one i already mentioned. Destroyable gate (Otherwise going up the bridge after initial spawn will be useless, fixed gate would make this impossibru to attack i think) and i was thinking about 1 destroyable door at the tunnel in the back.

Yeah it's large and i try to balance things out with spawnpoints. Attackers spawn center will be at the attackers camp a little farer from the walls, but all the other spawn points will be placed on the bridge and right infront of the ladders that lead up to the front wall, i might even set a couple of them behind the front wall.

Thx, keep the criticque coming! I only watched the movie (Shame on me, but sooner or later i will read the books as well) so it's based on screenshots of the movie and replicas that are out there, well and since the editor sucks, what the editor allowed me to do xP

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2012, 08:42:49 pm »
Will upload it once i feel like it's completely done =P
:cry: Alright. I'll wait.

20ft is 6m and it's probably like 10m high, but since i used the same length/width on a bunch of props, i think i let it stay this way xD
Especially the area above the river-gate took me like for ever to build.
It is about 5 men broad, though, so that's actually accurate =D
I think that will be fine. In this case, proportionality may be more important than literary accuracy. Besides. I know the feeling. I hate having to go back and redo something that took me an hour or more just to get the details right.

Yes, the little passage on the second picture is the entrance to a tunnel that will lead right to the flag area. I will probably add a ladder from the wall or the ground behind the front wall to the first wall of the keep as well, so nobody is forced to go up those stairs. Apropos ladders: I was thinking 3 ladders to the front wall, 1 ladder right on top of the first wall of the keep and the one i already mentioned. Destroyable gate (Otherwise going up the bridge after initial spawn will be useless, fixed gate would make this impossibru to attack i think) and i was thinking about 1 destroyable door at the tunnel in the back.
Sounds good. You definitely want a destroyable gate. It really would be impossible to attack I think.

Yeah it's large and i try to balance things out with spawnpoints. Attackers spawn center will be at the attackers camp a little farer from the walls, but all the other spawn points will be placed on the bridge and right infront of the ladders that lead up to the front wall, i might even set a couple of them behind the front wall.
Good. I was just thinking those exact things....except for putting a couple attacker spawns behind front wall. Trust me, defenders will probably complain. (Of course, everybody complains about something. :P) However, I'd wait for a second opinion before throwing that idea out altogether.

Thx, keep the criticque coming! I only watched the movie (Shame on me, but sooner or later i will read the books as well) so it's based on screenshots of the movie and replicas that are out there, well and since the editor sucks, what the editor allowed me to do xP
Gladly! It seems to be coming along quite nicely thus far.

Offline Fips

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2012, 09:05:48 pm »
Yeah, no more spawns in the castle. Added some tents to make it look like there are actually people in the castle and spawning as attacker there would be just weird.
Besides, you don't have to wait that long. 2 days top and i'll be done, maybe even tomorrow.

I never thought mapping could be that much fun. Finally playing on it will be sexy =D

Offline Varadin

• fite me irl
  • Duke
  • Renown: 577
  • Infamy: 353
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Serbian
    • View Profile
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/19930206800039/
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Varadin
  • IRC nick: Varadin
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2012, 12:15:32 am »
Sexy map , i really like it , still needs a lot to be done, a back door where aragorn and gimli jumped on orcs taht were breaking the front main doors :)

Offline Fips

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2012, 04:23:00 am »
I actually have no idea what details to add into the keep =O
Could add a bunch of barrels, sacks, bushes or stuff like that, but first, there is no vegetation on any screenshot taken from the movie, plus it's winter, so even bushes won't be very "real", second i thought the keep is mainly for the forces to be there, so why would there be any useless stuff in the way?
All the stuff defenders need is in the tents below, actually added quite some detail there =)
Agree/Disagree?

I added the attackers base, without tents, just some catas and trebuchets. Whoever force attacked that castle was no good and didnt really need tents? lol
Y/N?

Added the back door to the gate, added all the spawns, siege equipment should work just fine, walked everywhere without getting bugged or glitched and it is actually finished. At least if you guys don't find anything to change =D

So, too bad i have NO idea how this will be balanced. Longest walk to flag is over 2minutes long, shortest way possible should be about 1 minute , if you are a slowass tincan. If you have some ath you should be there in even under 1 minute, depending on the spawn ofc. The spawns infront of the gate are the shortest, but since there are only 3, i wouldn't take them into account too much. Cav helps a lot here as well.

Okay, enough talk, the file and some new screenshots:

http://mountandblade.nexusmods.com/mods/3882

http://imgur.com/raDAR  (What the colours mean should be quite obvious...)

http://imgur.com/nav7L

http://imgur.com/yMIlN

http://imgur.com/c32ED

If you have any idea what details to add into it, feel free to do so and upload the new version so i can check it out =P

Offline Varadin

• fite me irl
  • Duke
  • Renown: 577
  • Infamy: 353
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Serbian
    • View Profile
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/19930206800039/
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Varadin
  • IRC nick: Varadin
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2012, 03:37:55 pm »
Maybe if you could change those tents you have put inside of the castle , they look more like persian ones. Im not sure if there are any other kind of tents but if there ar you could add me ...also i dont like the color / texture of the castle walls ...shouldnt they be more like darker and greyer ?