Author Topic: Thranduil's Battle and Siege Maps [Feedback]  (Read 4725 times)

Offline Fips

• Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
Re: Thranduil's Battle Maps [Feedback]
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2014, 09:20:03 pm »
Okay, here we go.

City Revolt: Please use barriers instead of only ai limiters. The placement seems to be alright. AI Meshes should be okay. SpawnPoint 1 could cause problems though. I suggest you move it a little closer to the town (or not if you do not want to, it's not a big deal really) but you definitely need to limit the AI there. Either place fences to lead them to the gate (with barriers though, so people cannot jump over them) or remove most of the AI Mesh on the field, because i see the bots just running to the wall instead and then getting stuck at the corner of the gate. Or make that corner part of the wall so there is no corner anymore, you'll think of something xD
Bridge needs AI meshes at spawn 1
Oh and the sally doors are nasty, too. Can only open them from one side, so once people are inside they have to walk around the whole place if they want to go back.

Mein Bridge: Again with the barriers/ai limiters. Basically, just stick to the barriers. They block both AI and players. Also block off any spots BEHIND the spawn of the bots, because between two waves there is usually plenty of time to look for spots to exploit the whole map, not just from the way of the spawnpoints to viscount. The only place you do not have to worry about invisble walls too much is around the viscount, because you can't really lure them away once they are close to him. Anyway, the spawn point on the back, make the entrance more like a V-shape, so bots do not get stuck on the rocks, just use the fence to do this. Players could also just jump on the rocks and bots wouldn't get up there, so moving the fence and the barriers removes that problem, too. That tiny bridge might cause trouble, too, if bots fall down and survive, but we'll just have to test that live.
Dat holy weapon rack, though. Haha xD

Motte and Bailey: Bridge needs meshes again. The house where you already put one wall, block it off completely, can still jump on there. The places next to the gate will cause trouble. Again, make it a v-shape or at least a line, because the players will definitely lure the bots next to the gate instead of through the gate, that shouldn't happen. General advice (which is especially a problem on this map), invisible walls need to be infront of the fences, covering them completely. If people jump on the fence and then fall towards the fence they can somehow circumvent them by glitching through. Noticed that first when i saw a completely bordered fence with some very high walls where people still got through.
Please turn the tower entrance so it faces towards the bot spawn. The gaps in the palisade should get closed, too. I couldn't manage to jump through them, but you know, some crpg players make miracles happen to exploit stuff^^

Viking Village:
Uff, 3 accessible houses. Seems to be alright, but i'm betting my ass that there will be problems =D
But we have a saying here in germany for that "Probieren geht über studieren", so we'll do that. Basically means you should test first before you study it too much, not quite sure if that exists in the english language^^
However, i don't see any problems with that one, we'll just have to see how the houses work out and what the big palisade wall will do to the bot behaviour.

Also, whatever changes you make, be sure to check the AI meshes right after them and edit them accordingly. Otherwise you might forget that if you move a bunch of props and then change the meshes =P
So yeah, once you fixed that stuff above they'll be ready for sum testin'.

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • Renown: 367
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • what? ... What? ... WHAT?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Ward of Mithrim
  • Game nicks: Warden_Thranduil The_Doctor
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2014, 06:22:46 pm »
The hard part is making a map that everybody likes, if there is one thing I have learned about maps for this game is that preferences vary wildly.
Tell me about it! Mine are some of the strangest and are every changing!  :lol:

Anywho, not being one for sitting back and doing nothing (unless I'm feeling very lazy, which is often  :P), I tried making some changes.

(click to show/hide)

Spawns aren't quite where Sparvico suggested, mostly because they were too close to the map edges, and the run distance was too dissimilar.

You can run for the cabin, or take cover in the trees. Just be wary of the map edge if you fight in the trees. It acts like an invisible barrier.

I haven't uploaded the new file yet. Want to see what people think.

Super massive update coming in the next few days (hopefully).
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 05:36:34 am by Thranduil »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2014, 08:15:53 pm »
OP has been updated majorly to reflect the major updating done to a majority of my maps. Also, now one download link to pick and choose through all battle maps. Enjoy and please leave feedback!  :D

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2014, 07:07:05 pm »
+1
Thought I'd post what my current projects are. Sorry, no pics just yet. Most are still in the very early stages of development. That is to say, I haven't had an extended period of fabulous inspiration! Those are nice since they allow me to get a map done in like a day, but haven't had one in a while now.  :|

Let's see now.....

Viking Village - Was leaving this to die, but I'm now attempting to modify it into a SIEGE map. Not content to let it look exactly the same, I've played around with the ground inside of the walls and I'm debating whether or not to put a walkway along the village walls. Once I have more of it worked on, I'll post pics and ask for suggestions.

Bridge of Eldia - As I said in the OP, I'm converting that to SIEGE based on Teeth's idea. There's about as much progress on it as on Viking Village.

Imladris/Rivendell - Name is WIP. Haven't decided yet. Minimal progress. Some houses and a patio and a creek with a waterfall is about all I have right now. Immense terrain work needed, and some practical gaming decisions will need to be made. Once most of the terrain work is done, I'll post pictures. I'm thinking it will be a BATTLE map. Viking keep and house props comprise the main theme.

Grey Havens - This has been where most of my mapping time has been spent lately. It's shaping up to probably be DTV, but could have a possibility in SIEGE. Basically a port city map. Has the potential to be very straightforward and simple, or be large and a little complex.

As you can see, two of them are being based off of LOTR locations, but that's about where the LOTR geekiness stops on these maps. Good inspirational pieces, but my job is to make them practical for playing on.  :wink:

ETA? I don't really know to be honest. Hopefully before the end of April.

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2014, 12:29:23 am »
+1
Viking Village Siege Edition!

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

ETA to flag, 40 seconds to 1 minute depending on where you spawn, your speed, and if the path is clear.

To give an idea of what has changed, here are some super old pics from when it was a Battle map 2 years ago:
(click to show/hide)

I haven't uploaded it yet. I wanted to get some opinions on it first (though that really requires me to upload it anyway) before submitting it.
DL: http://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade/download/1000003590   <--- Direct Download so you don't have to hunt for it.

I haven't tried a Siege map in ages so I don't really remember what else, if anything, I am missing. Pretty sure all entry points are there. All doors work and the tower works.

Grey Havens

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Ended up very straightforward and simple. Could do some work and add another level to it, but the fps drop might be too much... that or my computer is starting to die. :\
Direct Download: http://www.nexusmods.com/mbwarband/download/1000003714

I think I'll work on Bridge of Eldia next.

Bridge of Eldia

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

ETA to flag, 40 seconds+ depending on where you spawn, your speed, and if the path is clear and which path you take.  :P
I based it off Teeth's suggestion. Yo Teeth! What's your opinion on it?   :mrgreen:

Direct Download: http://www.nexusmods.com/mbwarband/download/1000003715

All that leaves is Rivendell.....
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 02:13:25 am by Thranduil »

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2014, 05:05:09 am »
I tend to forget, no one knows to look if all you do is edit the last post here. :P

Bridge of Eldia

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

ETA to flag, 40 seconds+ depending on where you spawn, your speed, and if the path is clear and which path you take.  (which path. *snicker*)
I based it off Teeth's suggestion. Yo Teeth! What's your opinion on it?   :mrgreen:

Honestly, for all I know it is full of fail, but it is different, and it's more Teeth's idea, so it can't be all bad, right?

Direct Download: http://www.nexusmods.com/mbwarband/download/1000003715

All that leaves is Rivendell.....

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2014, 06:28:06 pm »
Bragelon Castle

Kinda found this one unfinished and lying around while trying to relocate Rivendell, so I tried finishing it.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Direct DL: http://www.nexusmods.com/mbwarband/download/1000003716

Flag is under the castle in the dungeon. There are multiple paths to the flag (about 5 or 6 possibilities, and 3 optimal routes IMO). The shortest path is through the gatehouse, so raising the portcullis and keeping it raised is probably the most likely way for attackers to win. Average time to flag with no obstacles stopping you is about 45 seconds. Average meaning average character speed. Slower builds (the few that exist anymore) will take a few seconds longer than that.

1 siege tower and one two siege ladder to get on walls. I may add a second siege ladder just for more variety. I moved the wall back and added the second ladder to the left side.

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2014, 01:58:28 am »
+1
Rivendell

Oh boy. Damn. That's all I can say about Rivendell. I thought the old problem where you place the prop "water_river" caused players at a lower elevation to view things as if "underwater" was fixed. Apparently not. After testing it through hosting, I found the only way you don't get the 'blue fog' is to turn water reflections completely off. This saddens me greatly as I think it is fucking beautiful.  :lol:

This is what it looks like with the water props.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

without

(click to show/hide)

Direct DL: http://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade/download/1000003592

The download includes both versions. The one without the 'water_river' props, and THE ONE TRUE RIVENDELL!  :rolleyes:

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2014, 01:06:14 am »
Dammit. Fips, I can't even watch Doctor Who without getting the inspiration for another map! (In case you're curious, you have "The Time Warrior" to blame. Classic episode with the third Doctor and Sarah Jane Smith.)

Irongron Castle

There are a couple different paths to the flag and 4 different ladders to get onto the walls. No siege tower. Trying something different here. If it's too unbalanced without one, I'll add it in. Average time to flag.... dunno. =P

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Direct DL: http://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade/download/1000003598

Offline Dekkers

• Knight
  • Renown: 57
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Traitors
  • Game nicks: Dekkers_the_Traitor
Re: Thranduil's Battle and Siege Maps [Feedback]
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2014, 12:21:22 am »
I really like the look of most of your maps, but could you please tell me what texture pack you're using? ;o

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2014, 03:46:20 am »
I really like the look of most of your maps, but could you please tell me what texture pack you're using? ;o

Thank you. Uhm... texture pack.... hmmm.... you know, I don't remember!  :lol: It's probably Realistic Colors though I can't help but think it's a different one. You can find the compatible mods here: http://forum.melee.org/beginner's-help-and-guides/mods-compatible-with-crpg-(updated-sticky)/

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2014, 12:23:15 pm »
If you are still around, an issue with Bragelon castle: The doors are the type that can only be opened from one side, which points towards the flag, which prevents defenders that spawn outside the flagroom from reaching it without breaking the doors.