Author Topic: Thranduil's Battle and Siege Maps [Feedback]  (Read 4724 times)

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
Re: Thranduil's Battle Maps [Feedback]
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 11:03:39 pm »
I must say, cliffs are not my strong point.  :oops:

(click to show/hide)

Edit* lol. I might need to take a break. I look at my picture and I start trying to move in like in the editor. :lol:
Looks like a decent enough start, I like how you used the mp terrain parts as cover, I never thought of that myself.
I personally prefer using these
(click to show/hide)
rocks though, I find them much easier to place.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • Renown: 367
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • what? ... What? ... WHAT?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Ward of Mithrim
  • Game nicks: Warden_Thranduil The_Doctor
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 11:46:04 pm »
Yeah, after think about it and talking to ctrlaltdel, (I need to get him to play again. >_>) I went the route of fixing up what I had and barriers for the rest. The main battle should take place on the bridge, and anyone who gets on those slopes will either be stuck when MOF comes around, or will have to go down to go up (and the round will be over by the time they get up again).

Anywho, this is what it is atm.

(click to show/hide)

**** oH Forgot. In addition, there are barriers along the fence railing facing the edge of the map as well.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 11:55:35 pm by Thranduil »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 11:47:03 pm »
Looks like a decent enough start, I like how you used the mp terrain parts as cover, I never thought of that myself.
I personally prefer using these
(click to show/hide)
rocks though, I find them much easier to place.

Yeah...that might've been easier. lol.

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 02:56:17 am »
These maps look much better than many of the maps on NA1. How do you even get maps uploaded to NA1? It took about a month for the polestagger removal patch to be applied to NA1...I dont know about warband, but on source games and many others, all you have to do is upload the file via and FTP client to the server.

Someone get these maps to NA1, christ.

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 03:09:26 am »
These maps look much better than many of the maps on NA1. How do you even get maps uploaded to NA1? It took about a month for the polestagger removal patch to be applied to NA1...I dont know about warband, but on source games and many others, all you have to do is upload the file via and FTP client to the server.

Someone get these maps to NA1, christ.

lol. Thanks! Most of these have been on NA1 a long long time ago. Several patches ago. The new stuff hasn't seen server time AFAIK though.

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2013, 08:31:15 am »
Aaaannnddd.....

Eldia Castle:

(click to show/hide)

Eldia Castle and Bridge of Eldia added to downloads.

***EDIT***

I'm not going to submit Eldia Castle just yet. I'll wait for some feedback or ideas if anyone has any. Siege maps...usually not my thing, but was tempted when making Bridge of Eldia (kinda had a small vision when the terrain turned out as it did). I considered a second, outer wall and placing attacker spawns to the right and below the castle to have it attacked from two sides. Unfortunately, I could never quite get that set up as I wanted and gave up....(and it figures, I think I just had an epiphany....typical.)

In short, Eldia Castle will probably see some additional changes.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 08:49:58 am by Thranduil »

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 05:06:47 pm »
Getting attackers to spawn from two locations is not really possible...cant remember why but I tried this on Rochester and Jacko informed me it wouldnt work. 

Spawns are strange in the MB editor.

Also - remember, you can place defense spawns wherever you like, but the game will choose where to spawn defenders using these priorities:
- close to flag
- far from attackers
- close to other defenders

...thus, why if 12 attackers rush flag, suddenly all defenders spawn somewhere on opposite walls and cant get to flag in time.  keep that in mind.

------------------------------------------------

That being said - I like the map!

I think that its possible defense could get overrun, but the area around the flag seems somewhat defensible. 

Put it up, and if you see in action that the flag seems to be too easily taken, try putting it inside a building with a destructable door to slow down attack a bit more.
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 09:05:34 pm »
Getting attackers to spawn from two locations is not really possible...cant remember why but I tried this on Rochester and Jacko informed me it wouldnt work. 

Spawns are strange in the MB editor.

Also - remember, you can place defense spawns wherever you like, but the game will choose where to spawn defenders using these priorities:
- close to flag
- far from attackers
- close to other defenders

...thus, why if 12 attackers rush flag, suddenly all defenders spawn somewhere on opposite walls and cant get to flag in time.  keep that in mind.

------------------------------------------------

That being said - I like the map!

I think that its possible defense could get overrun, but the area around the flag seems somewhat defensible. 

Put it up, and if you see in action that the flag seems to be too easily taken, try putting it inside a building with a destructable door to slow down attack a bit more.

Eek! Crazy mb editor. I'll keep that in mind. Thank you! I'll put it up then. I'm working on an alternative version that has an extra wall layer, and would actually have attackers spawn nearer to the castle (more ladders, more doors). I'll try what I have now and use the feedback to expand/improve.

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013, 02:56:35 am »
Hello everyone! I haven't tormented this thread in .... good heavens, a very long time. School, graduation, job hunting, ..... the usual.

Anyway, I unfortunately in this time never played Eldia Castle on siege, but I have recently been told that people said it was "unbalanced". I should like to fix this. Does anyone have any details that they can recall? Was it too hard for attackers/defenders? Was the run to the castle gates and ladder too long? I measured 35 seconds to the gate and ladder, and 60 seconds to the back door.

Any type of feedback is welcome and greatly desired.  (The same goes for any of my maps.)

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2013, 12:51:27 am »
Aaannd, I have two new maps I'm working on... or rather, are (for all practical purposes.....namely killing each other) finished.

Par 9  Yes, I was inspired by the British Open.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Dhugan Island (I'm out of ideas for names.)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

I haven't uploaded any files yet. I'll upload soon or if I get any good suggestions, I may postpone uploading them until I've tweaked them a bit more.

Dhugan Island needs prettying up. Some bushes maybe. I don't like to add much in that department since black scenes come with a lot of grasses, though I could fix that. It's just annoying to load the code into Native. Should I get rid of the grass that is controlled by grass density?

Offline Teeth

• Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2013, 11:32:56 am »
Hello everyone! I haven't tormented this thread in .... good heavens, a very long time. School, graduation, job hunting, ..... the usual.

Anyway, I unfortunately in this time never played Eldia Castle on siege, but I have recently been told that people said it was "unbalanced". I should like to fix this. Does anyone have any details that they can recall? Was it too hard for attackers/defenders? Was the run to the castle gates and ladder too long? I measured 35 seconds to the gate and ladder, and 60 seconds to the back door.

Any type of feedback is welcome and greatly desired.  (The same goes for any of my maps.)
Hey good that you're back.

About Eldia Castle
(click to show/hide)

I will soon check out all of your battle maps and see what we can do to get them back on the server, there's loads with potential.

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2013, 08:10:46 pm »
(click to show/hide)

That's....ingenious! I shall endeavor to implement those ideas!

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2013, 05:58:13 am »
+1
Well, to start off, I've gone and deleted any and all maps I have been working on for the last 6 months (the last few days excluded).  :lol: :lol: But it got my game working again at least. So I've made a couple of winter maps for the season. I present to you (with low expectations) Winter Village and Thawing Tundra. (My naming skills haven't rusted at all.  :P)

Winter Village:
(click to show/hide)
http://mountandblade.nexusmods.com/mods/5881/?

Thawing Tundra:
(click to show/hide)
http://mountandblade.nexusmods.com/mods/5884/?

Offline Fips

• Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2014, 03:09:39 pm »
So i looked at your dtv maps. First of all: the design is pretty neat, all of them. But you need to work more with invisible walls to block off some stuff where they can get stuck, only a few places though. But a very big problem your maps do have: The AI Meshes. Walls, even the little ones, need to be excluded from the mesh, otherwise bots will rush like the zombies from world war z towards them. Having the meshes exclude them kinda forces them to go around, even when there are players luring them behind. So sorry, since this is a major update to all of the maps i can't just do it quickly by myself, the maps might not make it in the next patch, too.

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2014, 07:38:35 pm »
So i looked at your dtv maps. First of all: the design is pretty neat, all of them. But you need to work more with invisible walls to block off some stuff where they can get stuck, only a few places though. But a very big problem your maps do have: The AI Meshes. Walls, even the little ones, need to be excluded from the mesh, otherwise bots will rush like the zombies from world war z towards them. Having the meshes exclude them kinda forces them to go around, even when there are players luring them behind. So sorry, since this is a major update to all of the maps i can't just do it quickly by myself, the maps might not make it in the next patch, too.

That's fine. I'll get to working on the mesh and barriers. Thanks for the input Fips!

***Updated the maps, but Nexus is down atm, so I used GameFront: http://www.gamefront.com/files/23979506/Thranduils_DTV_Maps.zip
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 04:08:57 am by Thranduil »