Author Topic: Head Start Details  (Read 2812 times)

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
Head Start Details
« on: August 15, 2012, 02:07:25 pm »
The Final Countdown – Guild Wars 2 Launch Times
by davidc on August 13, 2012

August 28th, 2012—the day Guild Wars 2 launches—is fast approaching. Everyone here at ArenaNet is anxiously counting the days right along with every Guild Wars 2 fan. In just a few weeks, the servers will go live and each of us will be setting out on our adventures in Tyria!
As you may have seen, we host a countdown timer on the front page of our official website. The information below will give you specific details about times and dates based on whether you pre-purchased, pre-ordered, or are picking up a copy of the game on release day.

Pre-Purchase with 3-Day Headstart: Everyone who pre-purchased Guild Wars 2 will enjoy three full days of Headstart Access. The three-day Headstart Access will officially begin at 0:00 AM Pacific time (GMT -7:00) on August 25th. However, please note that in order to ensure that we’re fully prepared for that fateful hour we may bring servers online up to 3 hours prior. If you’re a player committed to getting in first to grab that character name of your dreams you’ll want to be keeping an eye on things during that time period.

Pre-Order with 1-Day Headstart: Those who pre-ordered Guild Wars 2 will be able to participate in one day of Headstart Access. The one-day Headstart Access will begin at 0:00 AM Pacific time (GMT -7:00) on August 27th. NOTE – Pre-Order code registration is now enabled.
For those players who have not pre-purchased or pre-ordered the game, Guild Wars 2 will officially launch at 0:00 AM Pacific time (GMT -7:00) on August 28th.

Download the Client today: If you’ve registered your pre-purchase or pre-order and created your Guild Wars account you can go to account management today and download the client. Be sure to update the client periodically to minimize your download at launch.
We look forward to seeing you in-game very soon!

Offline MadeForFighting

• Knight
  • Renown: 75
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Wabbajack
  • IRC nick: TrueThing
Re: Head Start Details
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 02:48:01 pm »
EU Worlds
Fissure of Woe
Desolation
Gandara
Blacktide
Ring of Fire
Underworld
Far Shiverpeaks
Whiteside Ridge
Ruins of Surmia
Seafarer’s Rest
Vabbi
Piken Square
Aurora Glade
Gunnar’s Hold
Jade Sea [FR]
Fort Ranik [FR]
Augury Rock [FR]
Vizunah Square [FR]
Kodash [DE]
Riverside [DE]
Elona Reach [DE]
Abaddon’s Mouth [DE]
Drakkar Lake [DE]
Baruch Bay [ES]
US Worlds
Anvil Rock
Borlis Pass
Yak’s Bend
Henge of Denravi
Maguuma
Sorrow’s Furnace
Gate of Madness
Jade Quarry
Fort Aspenwood
Ehmry Bay
Stormbluff Isle
Darkhaven
Sanctum of Rall
Crystal Desert
Isle of Janthir
Sea of Sorrows
Tarnished Coast
Northern Shiverpeaks
Blackgate
Ferguson’s Crossing
Dragonbrand

The official server list. :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Buboes, phlegm, blood and guts! Boils, bogeys, rot and pus! Blisters, fevers, weeping sores! From your wounds the fester pours!

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 11:02:09 pm »
What's the difference between pre-purchase and pre-order?

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 11:45:10 pm »
You can cancel a pre order, with a pre purchase, you can't.
Pock gobblers

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 12:48:52 am »
You can cancel a pre order, with a pre purchase, you can't.

You can cancel both, I've done it with many games - for example TERA, and Torchlight 2.

Anywho to answer your question Miley -

Pre-purchase means you pay the full amount of the copy you wanna buy and is generally online via steam, their website etc.

Pre-order means you put some money at the retailer like a down payment. You pay 10-15$ for guaranteeing copy upon release and then when it's actually released you go and pay the rest. This gives the retailer a general idea of how many copies they need to order + extra for late comers.

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 12:45:42 am »
You can cancel both, I've done it with many games - for example TERA, and Torchlight 2.

Anywho to answer your question Miley -

Pre-purchase means you pay the full amount of the copy you wanna buy and is generally online via steam, their website etc.

Pre-order means you put some money at the retailer like a down payment. You pay 10-15$ for guaranteeing copy upon release and then when it's actually released you go and pay the rest. This gives the retailer a general idea of how many copies they need to order + extra for late comers.

I BOUGHT MINE AT GAMESTOP BECAUSE I WANTED A BOX, NOT A LAME DIGITAL COPY. Am I going to have to get the game from GameStop at like midnight on Friday (which I won't) so that I can play the headstart, or can I just update with the launcher I already have from beta?

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 12:49:52 am »
You'll have to go pick it up, but it won't be on the Friday.

Pre-Order with 1-Day Headstart: Those who pre-ordered Guild Wars 2 will be able to participate in one day of Headstart Access. The one-day Headstart Access will begin at 0:00 AM Pacific time (GMT -7:00) on August 27th. NOTE – Pre-Order code registration is now enabled.
For those players who have not pre-purchased or pre-ordered the game, Guild Wars 2 will officially launch at 0:00 AM Pacific time (GMT -7:00) on August 28th.

27th is a Monday.

I'm pretty sure the key you were given at gamespot for beta was a separate key then the key you're getting for the actual physical copy. So once you pick it up on Monday you'll have to register the key that comes with your copy on your account for it to activate but I'm not 100% positive.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 06:10:13 am »
Lol teenager calling digital copies lame?  Dont know how much lamer you can get than going to a game store to pick up a box.

DIGITAL
No cd key to lose
No disc to lose (which is immediately out of date when you get it home.  use the disc a year later and game has to download discs worth of changes anyways)
No landfill taking packaging
Re-download whenever you feel like it, uninstall if you need space.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 10:15:29 am »
I like both. Which is why I buy games through amazon or play and then love it when they are on steam. I just like having the hard copy for display purposes. Digital copies don't feel quite so like you've actually bought something.

Offline Thovex

• Marshall
  • Renown: 851
  • Infamy: 210
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Thovex
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 01:38:38 pm »
Love having it Digital, I only wish it could be for steam too.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Techno

• Count
  • Renown: 212
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Gecko
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 04:48:05 am »
I pre ordered from gamestop and they gave me the 3 day early access+headband code.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 08:44:25 am »
Digital is the way to go these days. I can't recall when was the last time I used a disc (except for installing windows).

Oh and you can resell digital property in EU :3

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 11:27:10 pm »
Lol teenager calling digital copies lame?  Dont know how much lamer you can get than going to a game store to pick up a box.

DIGITAL
No cd key to lose
No disc to lose (which is immediately out of date when you get it home.  use the disc a year later and game has to download discs worth of changes anyways)
No landfill taking packaging
Re-download whenever you feel like it, uninstall if you need space.

What's your problem with like everyone?

I can put the CD key on a document.
I can install the game without internet.
I don't thow away anything.
I wouldn't have it on any other computer, and won't uninstall it.

Sorry that it was a personal offence to state my opinion on whether I like digital or not?

And Sequel, so I won't be able to play this Friday...? Doesn't that like erase the point of getting headstart...?

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 11:42:20 pm »
And Sequel, so I won't be able to play this Friday...? Doesn't that like erase the point of getting headstart...?

I mean you still get a 1 day head start....

This is generally why I don't pre-order from retailers. It's alot harder to give a head start a retailer opposed to someone online. Not to mention sometimes retailers have problems and I just find it easier to purchase online.

But yah, to my understanding (don't blame me if I'm wrong though, but I'm pretty sure) you won't get to start on Friday but instead on the 27th once you've picked up your copy from w/e store you bought it from.

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 11:49:14 pm »
I saw the one day on Amazon and other sites where you get the box, but on Gamestop it specifically said 3 day headstart and all the benefits from ordering from Guild Wars.

"•Beta Access, beginning the last week of April
•3 Day Head Start
•Hero's Band: Adds +2 Power, +2 Precision, +2 Toughness, +2 Vitality, +2 Condition Damage, +2 Healing, and +2% Critical Damage."