Author Topic: Read here for Strategies for Reserving Names!!  (Read 1876 times)

Offline Skrubb

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • Get some
    • View Profile
Read here for Strategies for Reserving Names!!
« on: August 08, 2012, 08:48:50 am »
I've been scavenging for juicy info regarding the launch of Guild Wars 2
So word on the block is that If you create a character with whatever name.. Let's say "Chad" for now.

You make a Sylvari necromancer that goes by the name "Chad"

After you make this character and you delete it. The name possessed by that character is then reserved to you for 24 hours. (Not sure if this is just for launch or for the rest of Guild War's lifetime).

So a strategy that would be very good for getting those desired names would be to as quickly as you can create 5 characters and not worry about anything but their names. Skip the creation and all to get to that name.

Rinse and repeat 5 times and then go ahead and delete them after you have finished.

This way you can relax while you create your characters and know that your generic name wont be stolen by some other genius out there.

Hope this helps somebody out there who has a hard on for names.

Good luck in the Guild Wars world.

Also if you want to find out more about the lore of Guild Wars 2 check out WoodenPotatoes lore series on Youtube.

It is actually quite interesting.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 08:52:05 am by Skrubb »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
Re: Read here for Strategies for Reserving Names!!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 09:18:42 am »
Someone explain to me why there are name reservations.

If you make a character named "Bob", you actually become something like "Bob.8762", presumably so that other people can also be named Bob.  They would just be Bob.1247 and Bob.9130.

Instead, there can apparently only be one "Bob" anywhere, possibly across all servers?

So what's the point of the numbers after the name?
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 09:27:05 am »
+1
You also have to take into consideration that names are reserved for people who have characters created in GW1.

If someone in GW1 has the name SeQueL Billybob he gets priority in the name in GW2. After I think a few days if he has not created it he will lose it.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 09:31:44 am »
+1
Someone explain to me why there are name reservations.

If you make a character named "Bob", you actually become something like "Bob.8762", presumably so that other people can also be named Bob.  They would just be Bob.1247 and Bob.9130.

Instead, there can apparently only be one "Bob" anywhere, possibly across all servers?

So what's the point of the numbers after the name?

Number is for the account name. Character names are locked per server, that means there won't be two characters named "Bob", but there can be two accounts with the name "Bob", because they have different "ID's", eg Bob.1234 and Bob.5212

Offline Skrubb

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • Get some
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 05:47:12 pm »
Yes. For the betas my account name was MrBoots.8754 or something along those lines.

This is an account name that "defines" all of your characters so that you have an identity.

I'm pretty sure the main reason for doing this is because they implemented the system where people are put into parties based upon their account rather than their character. This is why you can see the account name in addition to their character name on the party tab.

Also I think that they added this for better buddy systems. One person does't have to come on as all five characters to add a single other character to their friends list. Adding one character adds all of them since the buddy's list is on the account.

Offline Voso

• Earl
  • Renown: 330
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The So-so.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Huey's Cavalieres
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 06:17:31 pm »
+3
You also have to take into consideration that names are reserved for people who have characters created in GW1.

If someone in GW1 has the name SeQueL Billybob he gets priority in the name in GW2. After I think a few days if he has not created it he will lose it.

Though, GW1 naming restrictions requires you to have two words for a name. Therefore any one word names are not reserved.

There are old sellswords and bold sellswords, but there are no old, bold sellswords.

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 08:54:25 pm »

Though, GW1 naming restrictions requires you to have two words for a name. Therefore any one word names are not reserved.

Correct!

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 10:56:17 pm »
I don't understand how I reserve names? You can't get on the game right now... o.o

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 01:50:17 am »
I don't understand how I reserve names? You can't get on the game right now... o.o

He's talking about when the game launches.

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 05:05:28 am »
I don't think he is... what would be the point of reserving your name and deleting the character when the game launches? Just make the characters when the game launches?

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 05:09:04 am »
I don't think he is... what would be the point of reserving your name and deleting the character when the game launches? Just make the characters when the game launches?

Because as he said...If you do it the way he suggested than when you're making your characters you can take your time and set every detail with them.

If you take your time upon release people are logging in every minute creating the characters so you have a chance of losing the name you want.

Create character with name - delete - reserved for you for the next 24h. After you've done that 5 times go back and create each character but this time taking your time without having to worry about the name being taken.

Hopefully that cleared things up for yah.

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 05:35:49 am »
Because as he said...If you do it the way he suggested than when you're making your characters you can take your time and set every detail with them.

If you take your time upon release people are logging in every minute creating the characters so you have a chance of losing the name you want.

Create character with name - delete - reserved for you for the next 24h. After you've done that 5 times go back and create each character but this time taking your time without having to worry about the name being taken.

Hopefully that cleared things up for yah.

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook.