Author Topic: NA Server Choice (Crystal Desert) - Not a clan, just join the same server  (Read 8595 times)

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
The real problem is that GW2 locks you in (for WvW) once you've made your server choice.

I hope they do something smart like allow 100% free transfers for full servers.  Like once CD goes "full", they maybe link it with some other low pop server and say "For the next 36 hours, you can transfer for free from CD to this new server."  If they announced a program like that, I'd say "okay then!" and continue with CD.

As it stands, you'll have to pay real-life cash to transfer.  If it fills up and your guild can't get in, well, you're fucked.  (In Rift, our first server selection really did get a 4 hour queue on the first day, so those of us who got in just decided to abandon it and start over on a new server.  That won't work in GW2.)
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Voso

• Earl
  • Renown: 330
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The So-so.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Huey's Cavalieres
The real problem is that GW2 locks you in (for WvW) once you've made your server choice.

I hope they do something smart like allow 100% free transfers for full servers.  Like once CD goes "full", they maybe link it with some other low pop server and say "For the next 36 hours, you can transfer for free from CD to this new server."  If they announced a program like that, I'd say "okay then!" and continue with CD.

As it stands, you'll have to pay real-life cash to transfer.  If it fills up and your guild can't get in, well, you're fucked.  (In Rift, our first server selection really did get a 4 hour queue on the first day, so those of us who got in just decided to abandon it and start over on a new server.  That won't work in GW2.)

Right, I know if you want to transfer your characters it costs money.

Fairly certain if you just delete all your characters and make a new one on another server you change your home world for free. The fee is for transferring existing characters I thought.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There are old sellswords and bold sellswords, but there are no old, bold sellswords.

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL

Fairly certain if you just delete all your characters and make a new one on another server you change your home world for free. The fee is for transferring existing characters I thought.

Pretty sure this ^^^

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th

This is WRONG and devs have already confirmed that is NOT the case.  Home server = home server.  Deleting characters accomplishes nothing.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Home_server#Home_world
http://www.arena.net/blog/choosing-and-transferring-worlds-in-guild-wars-2
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 11:44:34 pm by Digglez »

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
Yeah, pretty sure Digglez is correct.

They really don't want people to be able to change home servers easily, to avoid WvW abuse.  I don't think deleting all your characters is enough to free up your home server.  You have to pay to move it.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Voso

• Earl
  • The So-so.
    • View Profile
Alright, well whatever it doesn't really matter anyways.

ArenaNet HAS mentioned they are considering adding an "amnesty" period to new accounts/around launch/if a server becomes full or whatever. So don't worry about it.

There are old sellswords and bold sellswords, but there are no old, bold sellswords.

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
    • View Profile
Me and my friends will be on upon launch so it won't be a problem for me.

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Is this server like full? I wanna be with people I know; it'd be cool.

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
    • View Profile
They're just saying that after a while when the servers were put up during the BWE's most of the servers became full.

Crystal Desert and a lot of other servers were full so late comers couldn't join in the server. If you're on upon release though along with all your friends you should be fine and have no troubles getting on the server. All of my friends and Karma plan on going to Crystal Desert so that's probably where we are going.

Offline Voso

• Earl
  • The So-so.
    • View Profile
All of my friends and Karma plan on going to Crystal Desert so that's probably where we are going.

Hahahaha, yeah I feel the same way.

Offline Skrubb

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • Get some
    • View Profile
Oh lord. I can hardly stand playing Mount and Blade anymore after playing all the Beta's for Guild Wars 2.

The Crystal Desert seems to be all Barren in this time.

I hear that one of the Elder Dragons went south from Ascalon and turned the whole Crystal Desert into radioactive waste and deadlands.

This is the only problem I see with the server lore wise. IT'S literally GARBAGE. This may have some negative aspects as far as luck goes in World vs. World, but that is only if you believe in superstition. 
:lol:

They're just saying that after a while when the servers were put up during the BWE's most of the servers became full.

Crystal Desert and a lot of other servers were full so late comers couldn't join in the server. If you're on upon release though along with all your friends you should be fine and have no troubles getting on the server. All of my friends and Karma plan on going to Crystal Desert so that's probably where we are going.

I also thought it was funny how you said "all my friends and Karma" hahahaha. Such a meanie

Offline Skrubb

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
  • Get some
    • View Profile
This is WRONG and devs have already confirmed that is NOT the case.  Home server = home server.  Deleting characters accomplishes nothing.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Home_server#Home_world
http://www.arena.net/blog/choosing-and-transferring-worlds-in-guild-wars-2

I have heard though that they may be more lenient on transfers for the first week. They are also implementing a system that makes it so that transferring to a highly populated server costs more than transferring to a lower population.

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
    • View Profile
Whaaaa, dude, I love Karma.

I just meant all my friends by people no one in the cRPG community knows is also joining me there.

Offline Skrubb

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
  • Get some
    • View Profile
Sureeeeeeeeee   :twisted:

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
I NO UNDERSTAND. SO CRYSTAL DESERT Y/N? I WANT TO SEE WHO WILL BE DER.