Author Topic: NA Server Choice (Crystal Desert) - Not a clan, just join the same server  (Read 8594 times)

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
*Shrug* Once release comes out everyone gonna have to pick their servers again and it should be fine. Like 80,000 keys for GW2 beta were given out.

Also we get a 3 day head start. Pick another server for now I guess.

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
Crystal Deser is full T_T

Toooold yooooooou.  Nobody listens to Slamz!

Anyway, while one of the major WvW guilds is leaving CD for release (to destinations undisclosed) I expect it to still be packed.  I think generally people only leave their beta server if there was something wrong with it and the only thing wrong with CD is that it was full.

I would recommend picking one of the lesser populated beta servers for launch.  I'm sure they'll open brand new servers too but that's a real risk.  I think all the beta servers will fill up on day 1 and it's just a question of if you want a 1 hour queue or a 5 minute queue for WvW.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
    • View Profile
So how exactly do you know which servers are full and not? From what I heard almost every single server had this problem since they shut down so many servers since last BWE.

They raised the cap to all of the servers since they closed others but left WvWvW cap at what it was.

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
You would'a had to have tried to create a new character periodically over the weekend to have a look.  I think CD was "full" when some of the others were still medium.  I know the one we picked went to "high" but I don't think it ever went full.

CD and some of the other popular ones (like Darkhaven) were full like 3 hours after the game launched.

I just knew CD would be bad because it was bad for BWE2.  A number of people in my guild weren't able to create on it.

Check this list, too...
http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/32389-world-choice-guilds-and-communities/

Avoid the ones that have known large communities like 4chan, Reddit, the big webcomics, etc.

I have no idea why CD is so popular.  Might just be "cool server name" syndrome.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Kay of Sauvage

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Check this list, too...
http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/32389-world-choice-guilds-and-communities/

No guilds on Blackgate? That's Racist!

I think I'll just join the server that has the fewest guilds going to it, or perhaps the one that has the lowest population when I create a character. I think it takes a lot of the fun out of the WvW when your team dominates whether you're contributing something significant or not. And it's also less fun if there's guilds that take control of everybody by virtue of being big and vocal, but that have no strategic sense other than racing around in a big zerg trying to recapture the things they made no attempt to hold.

At least on smaller servers, I'll have better chance to influence random people so we can play smart, quality over quantity. Maybe we can even win while having that "outnumbered" bonus. But if we lose, at least we'd get matched up with other smaller servers.

Offline Aseldo

• Baron
  • Renown: 147
  • Infamy: 80
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • you reading this?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Egad_Captain_TKoV
  • IRC nick: Egad
Funny, I chose crystal desert without even seeing this thread

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
At least on smaller servers, I'll have better chance to influence random people so we can play smart, quality over quantity. Maybe we can even win while having that "outnumbered" bonus. But if we lose, at least we'd get matched up with other smaller servers.

Small servers are terrible choice for a RvR game that needs a critical mass of players.  I would rather get locked out and wait in que's from time to time and be part of epic armies clashing, front lines, flanking, epic sieges etc than some mothball ghosttown that cant even muster 50 players during offpeak hours

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Wondering how many of you actually played GW1 -.-

Anyways, I'm down with joining a server that has a lot of cRPG players...

Offline Voso

• Earl
  • Renown: 330
  • Infamy: 35
  • The So-so.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Huey's Cavalieres
Wondering how many of you actually played GW1 -.-

Anyways, I'm down with joining a server that has a lot of cRPG players...

I diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid. :]
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There are old sellswords and bold sellswords, but there are no old, bold sellswords.

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
    • View Profile
I played GW off and on

I decked out my Paragon because she looked SICK even though I barely used her. Tormented Shield, black dyed elite armor with a oppressor spear.

My Ranger also had a Storm Bow which isn't very impressive now but I got it back when it was worth 150k years ago. Had like 4 sets of elite armor on 4 characters.

More shit that I can't remember.

Offline BaleOhay

• Marshall
  • Renown: 789
  • Infamy: 229
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BS
yeah if CD is gonna be bad. Where is everyone going? If I am playing I would rather once in a while see people I know.
Leader of BS

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
+1
If they ever make a MMORPG where you'll be able to play as a Skeleton I'll venture to NA servers and play with Voso.
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
yeah if CD is gonna be bad. Where is everyone going? If I am playing I would rather once in a while see people I know.

The guild I'm in (for MMORPGs) is probably going to Ehmry Bay.  (For some values of "probably".  Still trying to link up with some old Warhammer buddies who are misguided and not going to Ehmry Bay.)

They hit "high" population for BWE3 but I don't think they got full and the community seemed pretty good in terms of communicating in WvW, acting sensibly and not being enormous douchebags.

Dumb server name but that probably just helps avoid the 12 year old "YEAH LETS JOIN THE DARKHAVEN SERVER CAUSE IT SAYS DARK AND OUR GUILD IS THE DARK DEATHLORDS OF DARKNESS!" crowd.

There is also talk of Jade Quarry, where I think a lot of DAOC vets are going, but I heard they were pretty packed.  Still waiting to hear back about how they were for BWE3.

Personally I think it's going to be like Rift on day 1: every single server will be full and they'll roll out new servers.  Basically I don't think it's possible to pick a "low pop" server right now and the real question is if your WvW queue will be 2 minutes or 4 hours.
Norse Horde

Offline BaleOhay

• Marshall
  • Renown: 789
  • Infamy: 229
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BS
oh the decisions. I played both Daoc for a long time and warhammer long enough to not like it anymore.
Leader of BS

Offline Voso

• Earl
  • Renown: 330
  • Infamy: 35
  • The So-so.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Huey's Cavalieres
Personally I think it's going to be like Rift on day 1: every single server will be full and they'll roll out new servers.  Basically I don't think it's possible to pick a "low pop" server right now and the real question is if your WvW queue will be 2 minutes or 4 hours.

This.

That is why I haven't changed our server from Crystal Desert. Every server is going to be packed most likely, but it should even out. Especially after the headstart when all the non-preorder losers come in.

There are old sellswords and bold sellswords, but there are no old, bold sellswords.