Author Topic: NA Server Choice (Crystal Desert) - Not a clan, just join the same server  (Read 8597 times)

Offline Voso

• Earl
  • Renown: 330
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The So-so.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Huey's Cavalieres
Our current GW2 Server is: Crystal Desert.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Keep in mind all servers are based in the same location and populations will change drastically with launch, so the only real factor to take into account is the server name.

This is not a topic for a cRPG clan, though I am sure some of those will pop up. All I want to try and do is have us all on the same server. That way you can notice a friend from cRPG is playing gw2 and hit him up, you'll already be on the same server.

It would also be cool to just randomly see eachother in the world.

Tell your friends to roll on Crystal Dessert.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 11:20:43 pm by Voso »

There are old sellswords and bold sellswords, but there are no old, bold sellswords.

Offline Voso

• Earl
  • The So-so.
    • View Profile
added a poll since people also play on Crystal Desert.

Remember it is just the name that matters. If no one votes or it ties then I will just pick one lol.

There are old sellswords and bold sellswords, but there are no old, bold sellswords.

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
Name for Arachina Plateau is bigger then Crystal Deserts I'm sensing favoritism.

Offline Voso

• Earl
  • The So-so.
    • View Profile
Name for Arachina Plateau is bigger then Crystal Deserts I'm sensing favoritism.

I actually like Crystal Desert better. :p

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
I advise against Crystal Desert.  In fact, I'm moving my guild off of there for BWE3.  CD was so crowded that it kept locking out new character creation and some people in my guild couldn't get on there for BWE2.

Of course, could be that enough other people will be thinking the same thing and moving away that it will actually be fine...but I'm not betting on it.

One thing with GW2 that's a pain in the ass is that once you make a character, you're locked into that server as your "home world".  You can do PvE on any server but you can only WvW on your home world.  If your home world ends up sucking for some reason, well, tough shit.  Cough up $10 or whatever to buy the server transfer to move your home world.  So there's a lot of pressure to choose wisely.  (It would be sensible for them to set like a 36-hour free-transfer windows so people can get settled and move if needed but I've heard no word of that.)

My personal suggestion would be to pick one of the servers that opened in BWE2.  They were underpopulated for BWE2 but I think they'll fill out as people from overcrowded BWE1 servers make the switch.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 01:03:06 pm by Slamz »
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Voso

• Earl
  • The So-so.
    • View Profile
I advise against Crystal Desert.  In fact, I'm moving my guild off of there for BWE3.  CD was so crowded that it kept locking out new character creation and some people in my guild couldn't get on there for BWE2.

Of course, could be that enough other people will be thinking the same thing and moving away that it will actually be fine...but I'm not betting on it.

One thing with GW2 that's a pain in the ass is that once you make a character, you're locked into that server as your "home world".  You can do PvE on any server but you can only WvW on your home world.  If your home world ends up sucking for some reason, well, tough shit.  Cough up $10 or whatever to buy the server transfer to move your home world.  So there's a lot of pressure to choose wisely.  (It would be sensible for them to set like a 36-hour free-transfer windows so people can get settled and move if needed but I've heard no word of that.)

My personal suggestion would be to pick one of the servers that opened in BWE2.  They were underpopulated for BWE2 but I think they'll fill out as people from overcrowded BWE1 servers make the switch.

I've considered this, but it isn't something to be concerned about.

Some people will have your idea and move, but more importantly there will be a huge influx of new people after the game releases. These new people will then have to pick servers and will most likely do so by observing server load. If CD is in fact overloaded, these people will avoid it and everything will even out.

That is the theory at least.

Picking a server based on population at release is next to impossible, you could never anticipate where the influx of new players will go. The best method tends to be picking the ugliest server name available, but that is still an unreliable method so I don't think we should follow it.

After this bwe I will still add an updated server list to this thread. I am going to go ahead and keep CD as the chosen server for now, and will roll on it this bwe, but if anyone wants to suggest another server they can do so after this bwe.

EDIT: They actually reduced the servers for BWE3, and increased player capacity. http://www.arena.net/blog/the-worlds-of-the-final-beta-weekend-event
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 11:28:40 pm by Voso »

Offline Vengt037

• Count
  • Renown: 259
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE47rDVh3c0
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vengt_The_Horsethief, Glorefindel, Vanderkaum
Purchased and downloaded.

Can't wait til tomorrow.

Question: Are we locked into the server we join over the beta weekend?

"Vengt, you are like my favorite player in CRPG."
- BlackWhite

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
    • View Profile
Purchased and downloaded.

Can't wait til tomorrow.

Question: Are we locked into the server we join over the beta weekend?

From my understanding yes.

However after this BWE they wipe it again so you'll be able to choose a server once it releases, but you are locked there for the BWE event once chosen.

Crystal Desert did very well in WvWvW and had a pretty good population which is what I'm looking for. I still plan on joining it anyhow.

As Voso said you can't anticipate where players will be going, you also can't base which server is best/worst in the BWE event since the match making for WvWvW is said be more accurate after a few rounds of it which last 2 weeks each instead of 1 day like the betas.

Good luck with the server you choose.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th

Offline Kreczor

• Earl
  • Renown: 332
  • Infamy: 204
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the qt crew
  • Game nicks: Kreczor_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Kreczor
Alright, convincing friends and family to go for Crystal Desert.

I know you said not a clan but since we can have multiple clans why can't we just have a cRPG one? Just for ya know, kicks and stuff.

Offline Voso

• Earl
  • The So-so.
    • View Profile
Alright, convincing friends and family to go for Crystal Desert.

I know you said not a clan but since we can have multiple clans why can't we just have a cRPG one? Just for ya know, kicks and stuff.

I am sure someone will make a clan, all I am saying is it isn't me haha. Not everyone wants to join a cRPG clan either, so this is more a thread about picking a server than recruiting for a clan. Someone else can make that. :]

Anyone know if clans work like they did in Guild Wars 1? It would be awfully convenient if we could at least get everyone's clans in an alliance.

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
    • View Profile
Ingame name is SeQueL I'm a Asura Ranger.

Offline Kreczor

• Earl
  • Renown: 332
  • Infamy: 204
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the qt crew
  • Game nicks: Kreczor_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Kreczor

I am sure someone will make a clan, all I am saying is it isn't me haha. Not everyone wants to join a cRPG clan either, so this is more a thread about picking a server than recruiting for a clan. Someone else can make that. :]

Anyone know if clans work like they did in Guild Wars 1? It would be awfully convenient if we could at least get everyone's clans in an alliance.

Can have multi guilds but they haven't said anything about alliances or legions etc

Ingame name is SeQueL I'm a Asura Ranger.
Will add as friend when I get in, not much time to play this weekend I don't think.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 10:42:08 pm by Kreczor »

Offline Vengt037

• Count
  • Renown: 259
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE47rDVh3c0
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vengt_The_Horsethief, Glorefindel, Vanderkaum
Crystal Deser is full T_T
"Vengt, you are like my favorite player in CRPG."