1 (worst)
21 (18.6%)
4 (3.5%)
6 (5.3%)
27 (23.9%)
5 (best)
55 (48.7%)

Total Members Voted: 113

Author Topic: [Unban essay] DaveUKR  (Read 2761 times)

Offline DaveUKR

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 242
  • cRPG Player
  • Small rain lays great dust
    • View Profile
[Unban essay] DaveUKR
« on: April 01, 2011, 03:29:17 pm »
«The real fault is to have faults and not try to mend them.»

Why there should be database bans:
Why exploiting a broken mechanism on a server until banned and avoiding the ban playing on other servers is unjust towards the rule abiding playerbase.
                                                                                                                                                                                                         by DaveUKR

Here's the story of my ban.
That was one of usual days, I had just retired and decided to join a siege server. To be honest, I don't like siege servers and I prefer not to play there for some reasons: they are always full of people who don't want to play but want to level up faster without any efforts; too many peasants there who really can't kill anyone with lvl > 15; there is no real teamplay, unless you are a member of the clan (banner balance makes rounds predictable, clan teams win almost every time), etc. I was a low lvl useless player and I couldn't kill anyone besides peasants, so i've started making a mess: putting useless siege shields on our respawns, putting random ladders to nowhere, putting construction sites. I admit that most of the things which I did were just useless and they could not help my team to win. But at some point I've decided to be as useful as I can, and from that second I've started breaking rules by placing construction sites for defenders. Even though I can't recall that I've placed a construction site there (according to the screenshot) I'm pretty sure that it was me, because I was the only one, who had them (somebody could pick those which I've dropped but nobody used them, as I remember).

I can talk about misunderstanding the rules (which say that blocking is forbidden) but I knew that my tactic may cause ban. And from this point of sight I understand that there should be database bans so the rule breaker could be banned from Siege Servers for placing construction sites there (i.e. for a month) but still could keep playing on battle servers (where he did nothing wrong). Database bans could help with the punishment of "relapsed criminals", so they could not play on the other crpg servers while being banned on official. From time to time I see people, who are hiding from NA bans on EU servers and vice versa. If they were breaking the rules on one server they can easily do this on the another one.

Database bans with the ending time of the ban on website could be a useful thing.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Furthermore, database bans will obviously facilitate the work of other server admins (one official ban can save the time of NA and other server admins, so they won't be forced to lose time banning a bad guy, who is banned on the other server) and make the game of other servers' players significantly better (admins are not always online, so a banned jerk with bad ping can make bad things on the server from the opposite side of the world without being punished). Database bans require a new simple ban system, which should look like this:

You enter the nickname of the player, choose servers where to ban (or global ban), date of unban (easy to determine the day with a interactive calendar). This can be improved with assigning a ban reason, the name of admin who banned etc.

This system could prevent banned players from playing on other servers, passing a ban with having a good time (or bad time for players) on the other server and other players. This will give official admins superior rights in comparison with local admins (Shogunate, Fallen and other unofficial server admins).

"Why exploiting a broken mechanism on a server until banned is unjust towards the rule abiding playerbase."
I can't really answer this question, because on the one hand we have "Glitching is allowed, being an asshat isn't" rule and on the other one "NOT OK: Using indestructible construction sites to block passageways". To be honest, the best decision of this question will be a hotfix of broken mechanisms. It's not necessary to implement something until it's not okay (I can't recall a single time when players used construction sites for their "prime mission")

The last thing I'd like to say to all guys, whom I've wasted a game or mood: "Sorry for being a douchebag, I wanted my team to win but didn't think about my enemies, who are players just like me. Such actions like mine are not suitable." And the separate thank to IG_Saint who forced me to write these essays by beating me in duel on native server (6-5 score, watch the video in my next essay)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 03:38:22 pm by DaveUKR »

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
Re: [Unban essay] DaveUKR
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 04:19:10 pm »
Nice essay. Really good ideas here and good grammar, as for my standards... Unban him, he did excellent job. 5!

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 04:29:53 pm »
Well written Dave, didn't really expect that from you.

B-

considering English isn't your native language (neither is it mine)

A-

See you on the EU servers.
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Yaron

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
  • I am daunkey guy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Secret
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 04:38:30 pm »
780 Words - approved
[21:11] <chadz>   i intend to give the 0 army guys a man for free though
[21:12] <chadz>   there will be fun "WTF? I LOST TO ONE GUY BECAUSE NO ONE OF MY TEAM SHOWED UP" threads
[21:12] <chadz>   which will result in me laughing
[21:12] <chadz>   and a happy chadz is a coding chadz

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 04:41:39 pm »
I must say I'm pleasantly surprised, especially with english not being your first language. Can't wait to read the next one. 5.

Offline Yaron

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
  • I am daunkey guy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Secret
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 04:51:38 pm »
Yeah, second essay is required.
500 words
topic: "Why you should not overestimate yourself"
[21:11] <chadz>   i intend to give the 0 army guys a man for free though
[21:12] <chadz>   there will be fun "WTF? I LOST TO ONE GUY BECAUSE NO ONE OF MY TEAM SHOWED UP" threads
[21:12] <chadz>   which will result in me laughing
[21:12] <chadz>   and a happy chadz is a coding chadz

Offline Ramsay

• Noble
  • Renown: 21
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ramsay
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 05:37:18 pm »
DaveUKR got banned?! Is this an April Fools' joke? Give him pardon - he's a civil sort from what I've seen.

Offline Astinus

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Armata Brancaleone
  • Game nicks: AB_Astinus
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 07:03:45 pm »
DaveUKR got banned?! Is this an April Fools' joke? Give him pardon - he's a civil sort from what I've seen.
The april's fool is that he might be unbanned  :P

btw, the essay is boring but it's well written. I'm looking forward for the next one which should be way more entartaining ^^

Offline djavo

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 120
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Salut
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HDZ_wing
  • Game nicks: Djavo
  • IRC nick: Kebab_Monteno