Author Topic: katana: extreme "based-on-reality balance" fail  (Read 10406 times)

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: katana: extreme "based-on-reality balance" fail
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2012, 03:33:38 pm »
Realism tends to balance itself. Anyone who claims that game balance and realism are mutually exclusive is an idiot.

Good point of view, but sadly not true. There are so many factors that affect the battle in reality. Such as but not limited to: Strategy (marching armies, logistics, map related plans, mass fear factor), tactics (organisation and cooperation in battle), money (wages, repairs - this one is very important), morale (fear, bravery), stamina, conditions (weather), equipment (weapons, armor, horses), height adventage, fighter skills, luck, generals (influentive-wise and tactical-wise), artillery... I mean so much. We only have a very few of them in Mount and Blade, but even so there no one can claim there was a balance amongst kingdoms in history. Every invention and development the armies made, is done for getting the upper hand so it happened.

In short: Make katana stab 19p, the current one has it's uses but it's ridiculous.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2012, 06:38:44 pm »
+1
Not this "exotic weapon" nonsense again, it's a crap argument, to coverup a bias towards certain gear.
Lets stop kidding ourselves on. C-rpg is a blatantly multicultural mod, a far cry from a pure European era mod.
There's plenty of gear from other cultures, not of European origin, and they don't receive these penalties, So why should Japanese gear be any different?
How about just treating it like any other equipment in the mod,Instead of this prejudice towards Far-eastern equipment. Would be nice to have some equality in C-rpg

I feel your cry, but such is the consensus among the devs/balancers that the katana is where it should be. In their formulas it pays a weaboo tax for it's price and performance. Believe me, I've personally been through all katana nerfs and buffs, and I've been the no1 defender of it through 2 years.

It's not a top tier weapon in overall performance, and that's a fact we simply must accept. It often punishes players for making mistakes (stabbing) and cost more than likewise performing weapons. Devs also don't want it to become too popular because it looks bad/unhistorical with most armors..

ALL arguments have been said, and EVERY stone has been turned regarding the katana. Believe me :)

I will write a suggestion soon though, about adding 1h mode without shield for it and some other shorter swords. Would be a nice little trick used to confuse opponents. Also historically it was a weapon which was totally wieldable in 1h.  Also, the thrust would look awesome.. :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2012, 06:59:38 pm »

I will write a suggestion soon though, about adding 1h mode without shield for it and some other shorter swords. Would be a nice little trick used to confuse opponents. Also historically it was a weapon which was totally wieldable in 1h.  Also, the thrust would look awesome.. :)

Wieldable, but never really wielded in one hand because you never had a reason to wield it in one hand. Except on horse.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2012, 07:50:04 pm »
Wieldable, but never really wielded in one hand because you never had a reason to wield it in one hand. Except on horse.

Maybe for that extra 10cm range? :) Or as a surprise.

I wouldn't think there were strict rules about this..

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2012, 11:16:02 pm »
Or for DUAL WIELD.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2012, 01:28:38 am »
+1
ok I was pissed about katana being 16 pierce... then I find out the +3 katana is 17!! pierce. when every other weapon gets +3 thrust damage. What a fucking joke, sold mine as soon as I could.

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2012, 12:03:10 am »
easy solution.

taking into account the different methods for making katanas and different metal usage in different parts of the blade... we clearly need to have the current katana as the "cheapo katana" and remains the same, but then we could add in a few more katanas of drastically increased price that offer better stats because they are made by legendary sword smiths like chadzamasa. then the weeabos can have katanas with some different specialities, one could be a decent thruster at the cost of some cut, or one could cost like 10x more than any other wep in the game but have the current cut (or maybe 1 higher) and also a decent thrust and maybe +1 speed (but people would go broke using it)

oh oh! we should also add some wooden katanas, or just blunted ones for blunt damage.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2012, 12:28:11 am »
+1
when every other weapon gets +3 thrust damage.

Mostly +2 pierce. You get +3 on the damage which is highest, +2 on the lowest. In other words +3 pierce and +2 cut for espada, +3 pierce and +3 cut for LEE and +3 cut +2 pierce for bastard sword. The katana loses out on 1 thrust damage for some reason, but not 2.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2012, 12:33:01 am »
There is a common misconception about the legendary figure of Thor. His hammer was not a weapon, it was only used to forge his katana. It was also the katana that always came back when thrown.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Ujio

• Knight
  • Renown: 70
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2012, 10:37:56 pm »
ok I was pissed about katana being 16 pierce... then I find out the +3 katana is 17!! pierce. when every other weapon gets +3 thrust damage. What a fucking joke, sold mine as soon as I could.

Yeah, exactly! This clarifies the bias in a nutshell

"By protecting Men, you save yourself."

Offline Ptolemy

• Weeaboo
  • Count
  • Renown: 257
  • Infamy: 182
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja
  • Game nicks: Nomin
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2012, 09:05:50 am »
Everyone who actually looks at the katana's stats knows that it's not balanced, especially when it comes to it's MW bonuses. Anyone who doesn't see this is either a complete idiot or a "weaboo" calling racist.

We're just going to have to accept that the katana is the Jew of cRPG and that will never change.

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2012, 09:34:15 am »
Realism tends to balance itself. Anyone who claims that game balance and realism are mutually exclusive is an idiot.

This is true to an extent, particularly if the entire mod were based around realism. However, the fact that we have weapons and arms spanning hundreds of years and from across the globe totally throws this out the window.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2012, 09:55:46 am »
We are thinking about completely replacing Japanese crap with Chinese stuff so we are not really biased against Far East in general.

Offline Muki

• Earl
  • Renown: 455
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • 偽善正義
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Exile
  • Game nicks: Muki
  • IRC nick: Muki, Muki39
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2012, 10:08:54 am »
We are thinking about completely replacing Japanese crap with Chinese stuff so we are not really biased against Far East in general.

O.o that could work

As a volunteer admin I clearly have no life and live only to eradicate all fun and enjoyment from the game. Your tears of rage are all the payment I need.
Yes I drew most of my avatars

Offline Uumdi

• Duke
  • Renown: 651
  • Infamy: 59
  • Ready to Die
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Uumdi_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Uumdi
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2012, 10:50:26 am »
+1
Speaking of nerfed thrusts, game balance, and realism, no more spin-stabs god get owned pikes

Ten shots of prayers, ten shots a day
A shot of thrill to hide the pain.
They can`t win, they just don`t cry,
The troopers know they live to die.