Author Topic: "THE DEV MENACE" (A Satire On The 2H Mace Nerf).  (Read 7320 times)

Offline seddrik

• Very mad bro
  • Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • NSCOC.Info
  • Faction: Phoenix Company
  • Game nicks: Seddrik_PxC
"THE DEV MENACE" (A Satire On The 2H Mace Nerf).
« on: January 23, 2012, 05:24:04 am »
INDEX:
The Dev Menace - cRpg Wars Episode I (p.1)
Attack of the Admins - cRpg Wars Episode II (p.8)

"THE DEV MENACE" (A Satire On The 2H Mace Nerf).

(Que dramatic, sorrowful music)

There once was a little player named BobTheNoob who played cRpg.  He spent hours learning what things were, about timing, range weapons, shields, horses and weapon lengths and even the proper mispellings for chat conversations so the he would not be mocked or belittled.  He enjoyed the game because you could get stronger and succeed finally.  He looked at other players with admiration and awe as they brought destruction, slaughtering 30, 40 even 50 players in a set, with their fully loomed equipment.  "I will get there too, one day!"  He boldly declared.

In the process of leveling, he settled on two-handed weapons.  "With this I shall join the ranks of the awesome!" And so he began to develop his build.  He discovered that as he leveled the two-handed mace was fun.  It was exceedingly short, and in that way very vulnerable to ranged, and longer weapons (practically everything); but still allowed him to have small victories.  It did not destroy shields. It was simply fast and had a small knock down effect.  But it was fun!  And then... it happened.

An Eviiiiilllllll Developer of the mod leaned forward in his chair.  He saw that people like Bob used the two-handed mace effectively.  They did not top the charts with 20-30 kills, but they occasionally killed 2-3 in a row.  Sometimes (and this is what made the Developer growl in anger) they even hit the Developer in the face.  "They... can't... have.... fun!!!!"  The developer seethed in indignation as Bob smashed his tiny mace in the Dev's lvl 35 face.  Little did Bob know that his moment of glory and elation was inciting such wrath and fury.  Thunder rolled across the hills of cRpg-land.

"I MUST balance the game" The developer pontificated.  "It is unfair to the community to allow this to continue."  And so the Dev bent his mind and powers to the altering of the two-handed mace.  It was truly a menace to the game.  "Players will quit the game if it continues as it is," he reasoned to himself.  "People will cry and complain to me about it being Over Powered", he rationalized.  And so he toiled all night long, fueled by seething enmity towards two-handed mace users.

Secretly, in the recesses of his darkened mind he had another motive.  One he rarely admitted even to himself.  His master plan, his grand goal - the destruction of all weapons that ranged and hybrid classes use.  And they definitely use the 1 slot, two-handed mace.

And so, sweat dripping from his fevered brow, the Dev lowered the NERF hammer.  Crpg trembles at the blow.  Horses fall to the ground in shrill cries.  Shouts of delight arise from melee-ers who despise anyone with a weapon smaller than theirs ever landing a blow.  Infants cry out in victory, cry-babies who sit behind monitors defying anyone who ever lands a blow on them; for no one has the skill and expertise they do.  And then, poor unsuspecting Bob logs on.

He grabs his trusty little mace, ready for another day of fun while leveling.  Only to notice.... how sluggish his weapon is.  It doesn't block as fast as before.  Its swing is slower than previously.  Suddenly, he goes from breaking even in kills to falling behind by half.  He wonders, "What has happened?"  And then he sees it.  The speed change on the mace is a clear evidence of the DEV's work.  He knows instinctively what has occurred.  The weapon is now no better than a stick.  In grief, he tries to plow on.  But the misery is too great.  Whether it be in regenning for gear or at lvl 30 - the mace just doesn't handle like before.  Its enjoyment has faded.  Its effectiveness muted and blunted by the sorcerous and wizened hands of the Eviiiiilllllll Dev.

Night falls upon cRpg-land.  Fog covers the down-turned faces of many people like Bob.  Aspirations and enjoyment crushed.  Hopes deflated.  The Dev leans back in his creaky padded chair, crossing his hands in front of himself.  He grabs a potato chip, dropping crumbs down his front as he consumes it noisily.  He sighs in contentment, a smirk slowly developing on his face.  "What next?" he wonders.  "What is the next step towards the total elimination of fun in this game... except, of course, my build and my preferences?"  He chuckles softly.  Leans forward.  And sees his next step...

Warning: Do not read, much less reply, to this unless you want to be mocked, ridiculed, insulted, and offended.
Warning: This message has been repeatedly "patched" in order to become more sarcastic and irritating, just like crpg patches.

To the dev who did this:
(click to show/hide)

To trolls: 
(click to show/hide)

To the smarty who replied to my STUPID comment: 
(click to show/hide)

To Mr Potato Head. 
(click to show/hide)

To Mr. "It's-Too-Good"
(click to show/hide)

To Mr. "its a freaking 1 foot weapon..... your not supposed to be using it like a katana or espada or some other fast primary weapon.. its for archers". 
(click to show/hide)

To Mr. HerpDerp: 
(click to show/hide)

To Mr. "Satire-is-somethingelse-IRL".  I shall appeal to the supreme dictionary and defintion of terms.  Wiki.
(click to show/hide)

To I'M-A-HAIRY-ANIMAL-IRL:
(click to show/hide)

Time to choose a new weapon. I found one that is ranged, but does no damage, fires very short distances, wind and rain totally destroy what little range it has.  But it may have too much ammo... that may need nerfing.  And it will definitely need to be 3 slot and cost 20k... in repairs.  Just to be "balanced".  We want to be balanced right?  What is this marvelous weapon?  Click and see...
(click to show/hide)

I have polled concerning its approval.  Here are the results:
(click to show/hide)

Let us extol the virtues of...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Why is nerfing good for the game?
(click to show/hide)

What does NERF stand for?
(click to show/hide)

BTW!  What could be better than a Dev's own admission that they nerf things insanely much?
A Dev's cRpg Profile
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 05:23:47 pm by seddrik »

Offline oohillac

• Marshall
  • Renown: 724
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player
  • boys don't cry
    • View Profile
Re: Mace Nerf! (A Satire)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 05:29:33 am »
gosh forbid you adapt to a slight speed change.

Yes, now your scores will definitely be bad  :rolleyes:

Offline Arkonor

• Knight
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Arkonor
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 05:43:00 am »
Wonder how long it will take the human race to understand that calling someone "STUPID" does not in any way or form help their arguments.

Offline oohillac

• Marshall
  • Renown: 724
  • cRPG Player
  • boys don't cry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 05:52:20 am »
Wonder how long it will take the human race to understand that calling someone "STUPID" does not in any way or form help their arguments.
Just saying a mocking complaint about a slight change to a mace that is still a very capable weapon is pointless to the argument of whether the mace is still "good". Which it is.

or was that directed at him?

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 05:56:32 am by oohillac »

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 05:56:14 am »
I think mace nerf was justified simply because it was too good for its price and stats and being 1 slot.  Ironically though mace is rarely used outside of ranged sidearm, so it was melee/ranged hybrids who were hurt the most from this chance.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Zaren

• Count
  • Renown: 162
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Zaren_Astralis
  • IRC nick: Zaren
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 07:14:54 am »
its a freaking 1 foot weapon..... your not supposed to be using it like a katana or espada or some other fast primary weapon.. its for archers

Offline Moribund

• Knight
  • Renown: 39
  • Infamy: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 01:41:44 am »
In real life...

(click to show/hide)

Offline seddrik

• Very mad bro
  • Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • NSCOC.Info
Re: "THE DEV" aka "Poor Bob!" (A Satire On Nerfs)
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 03:07:50 am »
NEW AND IMPROVED!  UPDATED!  i.e. NERFED!!!!! ENJOY!

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 03:34:18 am »
There are plenty of viable one hand's to use. My favorite when rolling an archer has always been the Iberian Mace.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline seddrik

• Very mad bro
  • Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • NSCOC.Info
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 03:40:31 am »
Careful Malaclypse!  Do not reveal your favorite weapon or its usefulness!  The DEVs are watching!

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 03:47:39 am »
I think seddrik finally broke.   :|

Offline seddrik

• Very mad bro
  • Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • NSCOC.Info
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 03:53:21 am »
But, my doctor says I'm fine now...  :shock:

Offline a_bear_irl

• Duke
  • Renown: 540
  • Infamy: 252
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 11:13:04 pm »
the mace was nerfed because it was too good when compared to the other 1 slot weapons, if you were an archer or crossbowman with 1 slot for a self defense weapon there was very little reason to use anything other than that mace

has nothing to do with the mace itself being OP or hard to block or whatever you're mad about, it was fucking up internal weapon balance and it's been a known "issue" for a long time
FREE ALLERS

Offline seddrik

• Very mad bro
  • Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • NSCOC.Info
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 06:31:29 am »
I am verily thankful for the talking bears reply.  It reminds me of a circus act I have once seen... very entertaining.  I encourage you all to see the rejoinder in the first post to his most humorous attempt at logic.  And remember to glance at Why is nerfing good for the game?.  I am sure you will find it interesting that the very #1 argument I have listed is what this rather smart player (for a bear) has used.

I shall remind you all of the underlying message for this whole post, which is vividly displayed in my new avatar.  I sense that this BEAR has been subjected to the same experience as DD_BigBoi.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 06:52:08 am by seddrik »

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 08:26:13 am »
They balanced it, very slight nerf, deal with it or let your tears feed the devs, either way its done now.
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art