Author Topic: Dalbajobas's Unban Essay  (Read 5963 times)

Offline Dalbajobas

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: CockRiders_Dalbajobas
Dalbajobas's Unban Essay
« on: December 26, 2011, 09:36:05 pm »
I would like to start off by apologising to anyone that my slightly over the top actions may have offended or caused grief. Believe it or not, I do not hate black people/Jews/other races and nationalities and I am by no means a white supremacist. I used offensive jokes mostly with the intent to get a rise out of the players that I knew would take my jokes seriously, rather than to incite racial hatred among the players of CRPG. I realise that trolling is not much better than racism and, therefore, I am not bringing it up as an excuse, but as a way for me to reiterate that the things I said had no true malicious intent.

As the issue of racism is too large and complex to do it justice in a short essay, I will instead focus on the negative effects that such behaviour carries in online communities, in particular, the CRPG community.

Although racism has seen a decline in the real world in the past decades, it is a whole different situation online. Due to widespread anonymity, so-called freedom of speech, and lack of accountability, the Internet has become home to acts of hatred of all kinds, which is especially relevant to international communities, such as CRPG.

One of the most appealing factors of CRPG is the opportunity to meet and get to know people from a vast amount of different countries. Naturally, this also means that a large amount of players will, inevitably, come from different racial and ethnic backgrounds. While such diversity and cultural exchange is clearly beneficial to everyone involved, it also means that we have to keep our differences in mind when interacting with each other – something I have clearly failed to take into consideration during my stay here. Ever since I started playing CRPG, I have been frequently spewing offensive jokes directed at particular races, religions or ethnic groups, while effectively paying no attention to the potential distress they may have caused, all for some cheap laughs.. Something I have only come to understand and regret only now.

In conclusion, I would like to apologise once again to those that may have been offended by my actions. I had become oblivious to how uncomfortable and unwelcome I was making other players feel – this ban has served as a wake-up call. Rest assured I have taken the feedback into account. In the future, I will refrain from making racist and inconsiderate comments in the chat (a New Year's resolution of sorts!).

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 818
  • Infamy: 85
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Bloody peasant archers!"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Head)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tenne; Guard_The_Biscuits; Guard_Bugden; Guard_Tennenuff
  • IRC nick: Tennenoth
Re: Dalbajobas's Unban Essay
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 09:56:54 pm »
Cheers for writing it, we'll see what the community has to say about it. Personally I believe you've done quite well.

(Please add a poll if you feel up to it.)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 09:58:44 pm by Tennenoth »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

BullDog Clan member since 31/08/2010 / Caravan Guild member since 03/08/2010

How to understand what I say.
Always finish your tea and biscuits regardless of how terrible they are

Offline Dalbajobas

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: CockRiders_Dalbajobas
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 10:19:19 pm »
Cheers for writing it, we'll see what the community has to say about it. Personally I believe you've done quite well.

(Please add a poll if you feel up to it.)

I would but there's no option to add a poll. I suppose it can only be done when creating a thread. Either that or I'm just illiterate when it comes to forums.

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 12:39:05 am »
I would but there's no option to add a poll. I suppose it can only be done when creating a thread. Either that or I'm just illiterate when it comes to forums.

Ah no worries then. Just see what people say if they bother to post about it. I'll leave it around for a couple of days and then decide what to do with your ban.

Offline _Tak_

• Earl
  • Renown: 459
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Retired Dev of FI2
    • View Profile
    • mod :D
  • Game nicks: LC
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 10:02:22 am »
Well done dude, I think i am almost like the first person you offend like many months ago because you play CRPG. Essay is really great. I gotta say you have spend a lot of time doing this.  I know you didn't really mean it but just doing it so that specific players can get angry. I hope you get unban as I would like to see you again. 10 out of 10 essay. Good job

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 07:54:07 pm »
5/5
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Cosmos_Shielder

• Baron
  • Renown: 137
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player
  • French Connection Leader
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pecores
  • Game nicks: Roland De Gilead
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 08:23:00 pm »
5/5 for me too

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 08:40:26 pm »
nicely done

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 08:41:38 pm »
Well for a dude that have been banned 7 times for rasicm and once for team killing and once for autoblock, you should know better than continuing your rasicm act until you got this major ban. I mean when I and other ppl said you were banned 3 times for rasicm you started "braging" about it and said "acualy i have been banned more times for rasicm" -ish said. Looks like you've done / spent some time with your post but to be honest you should have quited it when you had the chance instead of going on day after day with your rasict slur...

2/6

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 08:44:20 pm »
One of your jokes were "What is warm and orange?" "A burning friend"

And "How do you get a friend down from a tree?" "You cut the rope", These jokes can be funny and I found the last one funny but don't only do black man jokes, we want variation  :wink:

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 11:27:38 pm »
Well for a dude that have been banned 7 times for rasicm and once for team killing and once for autoblock, you should know better than continuing your rasicm act until you got this major ban. I mean when I and other ppl said you were banned 3 times for rasicm you started "braging" about it and said "acualy i have been banned more times for rasicm" -ish said. Looks like you've done / spent some time with your post but to be honest you should have quited it when you had the chance instead of going on day after day with your rasict slur...

2/6

This guy is just a pure attention seeker. I will find it very poor form if he is unbanned after 9 bans, including 1 for being caught cheating. I think its also pretty foolish to give these guys another opportunity to draw attention to themselves with threads like this.

Leave it to the admins to decide imo based on evidence ingame, not words on a forum after the fact. You know he will be back to trolling/making the community look like 5 year olds after a period of keeping his head down

What sort of message do you want to send out to the playerbase? I don't think its even worth the time with someone with a track record like that. Ban and don't give people so much leeway imo, especially don't send the message to players that you can get banned 9 times and cheat and carry on playing np
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 12:25:04 am by Grumbs »
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 01:47:38 am »
This guy is just a pure attention seeker. I will find it very poor form if he is unbanned after 9 bans, including 1 for being caught cheating. I think its also pretty foolish to give these guys another opportunity to draw attention to themselves with threads like this.

Leave it to the admins to decide imo based on evidence ingame, not words on a forum after the fact. You know he will be back to trolling/making the community look like 5 year olds after a period of keeping his head down

What sort of message do you want to send out to the playerbase? I don't think its even worth the time with someone with a track record like that. Ban and don't give people so much leeway imo, especially don't send the message to players that you can get banned 9 times and cheat and carry on playing np

If you're on an essay ban, it's your last chance before you're perma-banned. This guy knows that, if he is even caught saying one curse word, he'll be out faster than you can repeat it. (No quarantee on the speed, but his next ban will be permanent.)

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 10:36:53 am »
If you're on an essay ban, it's your last chance before you're perma-banned. This guy knows that, if he is even caught saying one curse word, he'll be out faster than you can repeat it. (No quarantee on the speed, but his next ban will be permanent.)

Ok master Tenne I will be on the look out for more curse words from this char.
Does words like fuck, and rape, ass, shitface etc. make a ban?

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 02:39:50 pm »
Really disappoints me to see the admins are so lenient here. If you got caught cheating in any other game, no matter how long you would be gone. You tell the playerbase that you can cheat, be racist and banned NINE times, and none of it matters until you get an essay ban. Oh then you need to take notice of how you behave on the server, not before because none of that matters. Really ass backwards way to run a game imo

Whoever unbans him is responsible for what he does anyway because there has been ample warning. Whats to stop him selling his gear off to a new account and changing IP, installing autoblock and getting banned 9 times again?

Cheating is a red card anywhere else. Racism red or yellow depending on the admin. It just makes admining 10x harder when no one respects the rules, and makes the playerbase look like shit to any new/casual player. You shouldn't even need people to come here and read a guys attempt to get unbanned, should just be an admins job to ban and not give them this soapbox. I don't want this kind of drama for a guy that gets banned 9 times, thats enough for me now.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 02:45:53 pm by Grumbs »
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 06:32:33 pm »
Really disappoints me to see the admins are so lenient here. If you got caught cheating in any other game, no matter how long you would be gone. You tell the playerbase that you can cheat, be racist and banned NINE times, and none of it matters until you get an essay ban. Oh then you need to take notice of how you behave on the server, not before because none of that matters. Really ass backwards way to run a game imo

Whoever unbans him is responsible for what he does anyway because there has been ample warning. Whats to stop him selling his gear off to a new account and changing IP, installing autoblock and getting banned 9 times again?

Cheating is a red card anywhere else. Racism red or yellow depending on the admin. It just makes admining 10x harder when no one respects the rules, and makes the playerbase look like shit to any new/casual player. You shouldn't even need people to come here and read a guys attempt to get unbanned, should just be an admins job to ban and not give them this soapbox. I don't want this kind of drama for a guy that gets banned 9 times, thats enough for me now.

Ban logs state he has been banned 7 times including this one and no where in the logs (that I have access to) does it even red flag him as possibly using a hack.

Secondly, everything stops him, trust the devs to know who has a new account, they have ways of making you talk... I mean, they have ways of knowing who you are, it's pretty simple really, they know if someones on the same IP, they know if you've been perma-banned and buy a new CD Key, and they'll know to be harsh about it if it's what they were originally banned for. Everyone deserves a second chance if they've bought a new Key but they have no right to do what they have again and there is no chance that they will be able to.

Finally, this fellow, as I already said, has not been red flagged (on the logs that I have access to) as a hacker, one of the higher access admins such as Meow maybe able to tell you otherwise but I doubt that he will have been banned for hacking without it being logged for all admins to see.