Author Topic: Best Ancient / Medieval Military History Movies: I'll start...  (Read 32319 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Best Ancient / Medieval Military History Movies: I'll start...
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2011, 04:02:26 pm »
Ironclad is a crap/good movie.. It's all like 1 long crpg siege.

Ironclad is weird. At times it seems like it had a good budget and at times like it had a budget of 5 dollas... I'd say the IMDB rating of 6.2 is pretty accurate. It's a fun movie, but not exactly a good movie.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2011, 05:44:53 pm »
exactly, fun to watch for a crpg player, but not a good movie :)

It was made way under budget btw, but they decided to go forth and make it anyway.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2011, 04:49:42 pm »
Alatriste already got mentioned, and I repeat that suggestion, as it didn't receive any special attention.

In my eyes it's one of the mest historic movies ever, at least concerning military aspects. The story itself is a little bit confusing, as I think they skipped a lot to be able to pack everything in one movie. Nonetheless it has some of the best (and partially most brutal) battle scenes of all movies:

Careful! Spoiler! Shows the last scene of the movie! If you want to have a look at the battles it's enough to watch until the negotiations start.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Herkkutatti

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2011, 07:15:01 pm »
i like them all :3
/l
(゚、 。 7
l、 ~ヽ
じしf_, )ノ Nerf archery ,please!

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2011, 07:41:24 pm »
If you want to see thousand of soldiers that are not computer animated, watch this movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgngFW4rqyw

It's a good movie but unfortunately the quality is bad.

Just DLed that movie and watched it. One of my fav time periods. Have to say it was rather an impressive movie when taking into account the non-animated soldiers thing.

Offline Henry_Broodsonson

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsfhny3oz3o
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2011, 02:48:35 pm »
Gladiator, Mongol, Rome (HBO series, I know it's not a movie, but you really can't deny its awesomeness).

Oh yeah, of course the greatest movie of all time, Shaka Zulu (1986).

Hmm, the Rome series. It seemed like the goal of the script writer was to have every character shag every other character. It was ok apart from that.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2011, 02:51:15 pm »
Not really. There really wasn't that much sex.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Henry_Broodsonson

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsfhny3oz3o
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2011, 02:55:49 pm »
Really? I must have seen a different version then?

Offline Draggon

• Knight
  • Renown: 64
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
  • Blocking axes with my face since June 2011
    • View Profile
    • SnowHawkClan.org
  • Faction: Snowhawk Clan (SHC)
  • Game nicks: SHC_Draggon, SHC_Draggonfang, SHC_Draggonclaw
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2011, 08:00:26 pm »
Ironclad:
I think the director and/or producer had to have played Warband – lol.  I mean come on, epic gatehouse defense, archers firing down on soldiers moving the siege tower, 1h hammer spam, polearm moves, 2h spam, shield walls, tin can cav, OP throwing… the whole nine. =P

Braveheart:
Even though a couple of the battles weren’t depicted accurately at all – it was still an excellent movie.

Centurion:
Fucking epic Pict vs. Roman action.  Showed the whole reason why Hadrian’s Wall was built in a historical fiction kinda way.

300:
Obviously.
Of course would love to see the Part II of this, or parallel sequel, about the equally epic naval battle that was fought right alongside to keep the Persian fleet from going around Leonidas.  At the Straits of Artemisium, Themistocles and his measely group of 271 triremes defeated the massive fleet of 1200 Persian ships.  Would make for an awesome movie.

El Cid:
Been a loooooong time since I’ve seen this, but I remember it being pretty awesome even for back then.  One scene I remember had a guy using his saddle as a weapon – heh.  Oughta be able to do that in Warband. =P

The 13th Warrior:
Hands down one of my all-time favs.  Incredible movie with a true story background (if Ahmad ibn Fadlan’s documents are factual).  But even if they’re fictional, what’s not to love about a good Norse adventure story?

Sir Walter Scott’s Ivanhoe:
Kinda like El Cid, been a long time since I’ve watched it, but again – remember it being epic.  There was this one 2h-er duel with great swords where they would chop down small trees sometimes due to a swing and a miss.

Robin and Marian:
Probably the best or maybe most realistic Robin Hood movie I’ve seen yet featuring Sean Connery as Robin Hood.  If I remember right though, it was a story of Robin when he was a little older. Not the usual redone 1,000 times story.

Robin Hood:
1991 w/Patrick Bergin, NOT the Kevin Costner bullshit.  This one follows close behind the above choice in realism, but of course is the story of an earlier Robin Hood.

Beowulf & Grendel:
2005, starring Gerard Butler.  Not the CGI one with Angelina Jolie.  This one takes all the fantasy out of the legend and makes it more realistic.  Best version of the story I’ve seen yet.

Troy:
For all the obvious reasons (Brad Pitt not being one of them, however).  Epic duels, glorious massive army combat, amazing siege action, the list goes on.

Mongol:
Probably the best medieval cavalry movie ever made.  I do kinda wish they’d shown more of the Mongol horde tactics I’ve read about over the years, but some of those might not have come till later as the Horde swept across the known world.

Gladiator:
Think my favorite scene was the awesome battle with the barbarians at the beginning of the movie.  The rest was still great though.  And of course gladiator fight scenes never get old.

The Kingdom of Heaven:
Really great movie, I just wish they would’ve actually shown the battle of the Horns of Hattin where about 20,000 knights stood for 3 days against 60,000 Saracens.  They made two balls-out charges that almost took out Saladin himself, but were barely repelled back to the hill each time.  Finally the desert heat, exhaustion, thirst, smoke inhalation & just being purely outnumbered killed them all off almost to the last man.  Would probably make for a badass movie by itself.

Excalibur:
Almost forgot about this one!  But this was one of the first badass medieval movies I ever saw.  Think I came a little when I first saw it.  Need to watch this bad boy again.

Ben Hur:
Had to have been the most epic movie of its day.  But even up to now I don’t think any movie (that I know of anyway) has taken on chariot races & open sea trireme battles of that magnitude.

Arn, the Knight Templar:
A lot of awesome things about this movie, one being that it was not a corny Hollywood production.  Really great battle scenes.  One is the Battle of Montgisard, and the other they actually DO show, is… the Horns of Hattin.  Pretty good nun spanking scene thrown in there to boot. =P

Flesh & Blood:
Rutger Hauer.  Need I say more?  Mr. Ladyhawke himself.  Awesome siege, awesome nutidity, mixed together for a winner.

Spartacus:
The old version with Kirk Douglas.  Haven’t seen the newer one yet.

And last but definitely not least…

Monty Python & the Holy Grail! =)

Movies they need to make:  The Great Siege of Malta, The Battle of Marathon, The Straits of Artemisium, more movies about Ghengis Khan, and lots lots more.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2011, 09:00:55 pm »
What's wrong with Brad Pitt in Troy? I think his portrayal of Achilles is what makes the movie good. As for Battle of Hattins, it was actually 20,000 knights vs 30,000 muslims :P
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Mtemtko

• Count
  • Renown: 168
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Merc_Mtemtko
  • IRC nick: Mtemtko
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2011, 10:11:55 pm »

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2011, 12:29:07 pm »
Darkon:twisted:

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2011, 04:58:01 pm »
What's wrong with Brad Pitt in Troy? I think his portrayal of Achilles is what makes the movie good.

I think he actually portrayed him quite well. Mind you, Brad Pitts ability for rousing speeches before battle leaves something to be desired.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2011, 02:16:33 pm »
Brad Pitt is soooo dreamy......................... 8-)

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2011, 05:57:00 pm »
It's just a blond, beardless beau playing one of the toughest fighters in history.

I would love someone with a... rougher... face...
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)