Author Topic: Possible VGA upgrade, please help, if you can.  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
Possible VGA upgrade, please help, if you can.
« on: January 28, 2011, 11:43:29 pm »
Hey there, today is a sad day. I think my good old companion, my 8800GTS (320) gave up the fight. I see weird vertical yellow-blue lines everywhere, I can see weird codes on booting screens. Even the bios has these weird vertical lines, and I think this is a VGA ram issue, it's dying. At least I can use it without drivers, if I try to install one, my windows becomes a pixelated mess, like old nintendo glitch-ups, and safe-mode is the only way to use the PC. I tried two other monitors, another cable, but the problem is still here. It has to be the card. or..

Before I'm talking about a possible upgrade, is it possible that a virus is doing this? My spyware/antivir can't find anything, but still. Or is there a way to fix it? I'm interested.

So, I have a budget of 125$. I'm playing on 1280x1024 resolution, with 2-4x AA, this really depends on the application.
I would be grateful if someone would suggest the best possible card for this price range, both Nvidia, and the ATi counterpart, so I can compare them. I would like to have a nice upgrade, so newer games can run without me getting eye cancer.

Mainboard has PCI-E 16x, so 2.0 cards are alright.

Please help me out, it's urgent.

(I'm asking this mainly because my experience with graphics cards is about 3 years old, and I don't know much about the new stuff.)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Ishar

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Mr Shitgrin
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ishar_III
Re: Possible VGA upgrade, please help, if you can.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 11:50:47 pm »
+1
NVidia is more expensive most of the time (at least in Hungary), but works better with most games. ATI is supposed to be better for multimedia applications, 3D modelling, stuff like that.
I've always went with NVidia, personally I have a 9400GT, and works awesome with most games. The only thing that was beyond help with that is Force Unleashed 1-2 cutscenes - and even for that, I believe there's a patch, just didn't bother with it. That card's way below your budget though.
"Also, thank you for reporting your own post." Mylet

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
Re: Possible VGA upgrade, please help, if you can.
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 11:56:22 pm »
Köszönöm a segítséget. (thx :) )

A 9400 GT is really under it, I had problems with cRPG battles on my 8800, I don't want to play in an fps lagfest again.
Hmm.

I've found two nice cards, the Nvidia GTS 450, and the HD5750. What do you think?  :wink:
I'm leaning towards the Nvidia, hmm.  :)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 12:39:05 am by Christo »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!