Author Topic: Battle of Grunwald 1410  (Read 1964 times)

Offline Garond_PL

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ...
  • Game nicks: Harmeus Mora,Vladislav Jagiello,No_Ketchup
Battle of Grunwald 1410
« on: September 19, 2011, 02:54:41 pm »
"The Battle of Grunwald or 1st Battle of Tannenberg was fought on 15 July 1410, during the Polish–Lithuanian–Teutonic War. The alliance of the Kingdom of Poland and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, led respectively by King Jogaila (Władysław Jagiełło) and Grand Duke Vytautas (Witold), decisively defeated the Teutonic Knights, led by Grand Master Ulrich von Jungingen. Most of the Teutonic Knights' leadership were killed or taken prisoner. While defeated, the Teutonic Knights withstood the siege on their fortress in Marienburg (Malbork) and suffered only minimal territorial losses at the Peace of Thorn (1411) (Toruń). Territorial disputes continued until the Peace of Melno was concluded in 1422. However, the Knights never recovered their former power and the financial burden of war reparations caused internal conflicts and an economic downturn in their lands. The battle shifted the balance of power in Eastern Europe and marked the rise of the Polish–Lithuanian union as the dominant political and military force in the region.[9]"

Wiki rls :D

What do you think about this battle on its importance for the Polish and the German Empire?

« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 02:59:00 pm by Garond_PL »

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
Re: Battle of Grunwald 1410
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 10:03:40 pm »
those poor germans...not

Offline Formless

• Baron
  • Renown: 102
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 05:48:58 am »
+1
Poland messed it up, they should have chased the Teutonic Knights down as they were retreating and slaughtered them all.  Instead they left them to retreat to Malbork.  Since they messed it up they had to deal with the Teutonic Knights for another 100 years until the Tuetonic order fell apart and reformed as Prussia but only after Poland kicked their ass again.  The new "Prussia" then gave homage to the king of Poland, who should have went into the place and leveled it once and for all, but he messed up.

Two hundred years later Prussia which at one point sworn undying loyalty to Poland joined up with Austria and Russian and together the three of them partitioned up Poland between themselves.  So much for undying loyalty  :P

Overall Poland at one point was a major power in Europe,  but because the gentry loved their freedom and most of the Polish kings could not form a centralized government in the face of resistance from the nobles, Poland ended up falling apart due to internal pressure and external influences. 

Poland was an interesting country to read about, countless wars, real politic, Poland expanding, shrinking, disappearing from the map and then emerging again.  Definitely see were Poles got their love of freedom from.  Interesting place to read about, wish there were more books in English about it. 

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 05:57:05 am »
and thanks to them saving vienna from the turks,  we got the bagel.  so there,  everybody happy
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ginosaji

• Baron
  • Renown: 81
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Kukurutz, Whale_of_pure_Harmony, Topfentascherl, TRAFFIC_LIGHT
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 07:52:38 am »
and thanks to them saving vienna from the turks,  we got the bagel.  so there,  everybody happy

What, the bagel originated from our Kipferl?

And I have to disappoint you, the turks didn't have much to do with the invention of the Kipferl :/

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 08:20:41 am »
hm,  s´far as i know the polish cav had some weird poles/flags whatever on there saddles,  and the backers of vienna celebrated the triumpfand polish cav by making bagels,  which,  because of their hole,  could be stooped over these poles.

so this makes the bagel a polearm and cav friendly product,  maybe i should look into eating them after all : )
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ginosaji

• Baron
  • Renown: 81
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Kukurutz, Whale_of_pure_Harmony, Topfentascherl, TRAFFIC_LIGHT
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 09:39:01 am »
hm,  s´far as i know the polish cav had some weird poles/flags whatever on there saddles,  and the backers of vienna celebrated the triumpfand polish cav by making bagels,  which,  because of their hole,  could be stooped over these poles.

so this makes the bagel a polearm and cav friendly product,  maybe i should look into eating them after all : )

Oh, didn't even know that. I just thought the bagle originated from the kipferl, because it looks so similar ^^

The poles the polish cav used were their "wings" which gave the winged husars their name. They used it to prevent getting caught by lassos and stuff and they also made some cool noise. And obviously it was some good storage device for pastries. :D

Edit: Oh, that's only another myth. The bagle was invented much earlier:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagel
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 09:42:40 am by Ginosaji »