Author Topic: Fighting in real life.  (Read 9083 times)

Offline Ishar

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Mr Shitgrin
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ishar_III
Re: Fighting in real life.
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2011, 04:42:20 pm »
+1
There are plenty of reeancting groups in Hungary. I don't know much about the medieval groups, but you could try Norde Gard, Kard Rendje, DAKLE, Mare Temporis, etc. Just google them.
Of course, since it's Hungary, there are dozens, maybe hundreds of archer/horse archer groups. I still consider Kassai the best of them. If you are interested in that sort of thing, look him up.

And then there's the classical era. Legio Brigetio, Collegium Gladiatorum, Familia Gladiatoria, and so on. And, of course, us.

If you're feeling wimpy, you could go LARPing, but that's kid stuff in my eyes. The basic concept would be fine, but Hungarian LARP sucks balls. I don't know how anyone over 18 can still enjoy that.

All in all, you should have quite a few opportunities to punch people in the face with a stick.
"Also, thank you for reporting your own post." Mylet

Offline Jeez

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • May God have mercy on your souls, I will not
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusaders Of Acre
  • Game nicks: Saint Jeez of Acre
  • IRC nick: Jeez
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2011, 04:53:34 pm »
Well,

what you could try is to find a weapon based martial art of your liking,
I do escrima (= kali/arnis), and I learn to fight with ±70 cm sticks, dual and single knifes and fists. Some systems also use two handed weapons / spears
You could with some knowledge of this sport have some fun fights with your friend(s)  (I speak out of experience), you can make as well very easily wooden shields and develop your own fighting style based upon what you learned

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2011, 04:57:11 pm »
Finished the "staff", unfortunately, it became a bit shorter, but it's nice, quite straight, and light. cool thingy. It's quite primitive though.
@ Ishar: I'll look for these groups you've mentioned. Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 05:01:20 pm by Christo »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2011, 05:19:29 pm »
Christo, screenshot or it never happened.

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2011, 05:30:32 pm »
Christo, screenshot or it never happened.

well, it's basicly an about 150cm long stick without bark (there are some knots though), part of it's damaged, it was a rush work, so it's nothing special. It's crap.  :)

Dunno how to take an IRL screenshot right now, my phone is broke, and I have no camera.

Well, just for you Thomek, I took a pic with my broken phone (don't diss image quality, the phone screen isn't working atm)
http://img843.imageshack.us/i/20600101376.jpg/
As you can see, it's not a master's work, but it'll be okay for me for now.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 05:44:15 pm by Christo »

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Olwen

• Earl
  • Renown: 419
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • A shadow among others
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2011, 06:23:19 pm »
yeh i'm doing renactment irl, there's a club where i live and my bro's doing a tournament with sponsors,

btw if you expect skill and no spam it's the wrong sport, it's full spam and teamplay, you use as much your fists as your weapon ^^

Offline FICO

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandits
  • Game nicks: Bandit_FICO
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2011, 11:38:29 pm »
as ishar already said, in magyar there are lot of medieval fighting schools, and they are good. now, soon will be spring and the season of medieval fairs and tournaments is going to be opened (here in CRO there will be one in 2 weeks). that's the good place to ask things you are interested in

A fighter is more dangerous, starved, sick, injured, sleep-deprived, drunk and naked than the normal person is well-fed, healthy, whole, rested, cold sober and armed to the teeth

Offline Ishar

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
  • Mr Shitgrin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2011, 11:53:40 pm »
+1
Some groups also offer sparring options at fairs, so that's another opportunity.

Offline FICO

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2011, 01:28:55 am »
oh, and one more thing... irl 1vs1 is about 3 or 4 swings/thrusts. one thing is "show fight" for people on fairs, but another is bohur. usually you circle one around other changing stances, closing and going from opponent, waiting for his mistake or opening - and after that everything is over in a few seconds.

in group fights there are few finesses. everything is about brute strength, not getting separated and teamwork

A fighter is more dangerous, starved, sick, injured, sleep-deprived, drunk and naked than the normal person is well-fed, healthy, whole, rested, cold sober and armed to the teeth

Offline Ishar

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
  • Mr Shitgrin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2011, 09:29:50 am »
+1
I use a big fuckin shield. With those, even a duel can be quite long and intense.

Offline FICO

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2011, 11:17:05 am »
I use a big fuckin shield. With those, even a duel can be quite long and intense.
:lol: one guy lost two front teeth to a shield  :lol: few times i used my winter cloak and it was win! i'm skinny and small and when i used rather short sword + cloak against war longswords opponents got too cocky. well, neither did i believed that cloak is SO good for defence (nb i didn't ever train or research deeply into using cloak defensively), but it CAN turn aside blows and thrusts, entangle a sword and, above all, annoy the enemy. i am known as annoying fighter with all my jumping and dancing around always almost in the reach and beating their fingers holding sword  :twisted:

Offline Balton

• Knight
  • Renown: 56
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • Divine Being
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Death God
  • Game nicks: GoD_Balton_the_Buff
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2011, 11:24:48 am »
:lol: one guy lost two front teeth to a shield  :lol: few times i used my winter cloak and it was win! i'm skinny and small and when i used rather short sword + cloak against war longswords opponents got too cocky. well, neither did i believed that cloak is SO good for defence (nb i didn't ever train or research deeply into using cloak defensively), but it CAN turn aside blows and thrusts, entangle a sword and, above all, annoy the enemy. i am known as annoying fighter with all my jumping and dancing around always almost in the reach and beating their fingers holding sword  :twisted:

I would have thought staying out of reach doesn't work IRL, considering they can just charge you, especially if they have a shield. Do you guys swing as hard as you can? And what material are weapons generally made out of?
Wherever I tread, only chaos & destruction follow.

Offline Ishar

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
  • Mr Shitgrin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2011, 01:21:39 pm »
+1
I use a dull steel shortsword with my shield, and yes, range means a lot. If your attack doesn't hit anything, you are quite open to a counter.
It's more or less the same with wooden swords though - you are a bit faster with a light weapon, but so is your opponent.

Oh, and I know a guy too who lost teeth in combat with a shield. It was obviously his fault, that kind of thing should not happen if you know what you are doing, even with full contact duels. An opponent's shield or weapon may hit you hard, but it was his own shield. Come on, that's embarrassing!

This kind of thing is not as dangerous as it looks. In seven years, I've seen the following injuries:
-A fool hit his own foot with a thrown spear (don't ask, it's pathetic)
-One reckless teammate of mine got a sword trust in his leg a bit (bled a little, not serious)
-In a light contact wooden sword duel, one of the combatants hit the other in the face with quite a force by accident - now, that looked ugly.
-I couldn't block a thrown spear once, it went over my head, and ALMOST hit someone in the audience. Thank God it didn't. The throw was way high, I couldn't possibly reach it, so wasn't my fault, but still, could have been serious.
-The aforementioned teeth.
-One of our members dislocated shoulder a few times in unarmed combat. Dunno why, he is quite a strong fellow, somehow his right shoulder is his weakness.
-Last year, one guy hit my finger with a dull metal sword, that hurt for a few days, and the scar still looks badass.
-Small cuts and bruises, barely worth mentioning.

I think that's not so much, though I've met people with far worse record. Still, I think a skater would see way more injuries in seven years. And that's something, considering he is rolling around on a board, and we are bashing each other with metal swords.

Offline FICO

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2011, 07:25:11 pm »
we have rules about not fighting with steel without full "harness" (helmets with visors, shoulderpads, arm armour, gauntlets, plate or coat of plates for torso, leg protection). with wood we only practice (however there are some "illegal" fights without full force and just with hard leather gloves). there are some minor cuts and bruises, broken skin... few times we had to stitch some cuts, because they were not following the rules of protection.

Offline FICO

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2011, 07:34:23 pm »
I would have thought staying out of reach doesn't work IRL, considering they can just charge you, especially if they have a shield. Do you guys swing as hard as you can? And what material are weapons generally made out of?
if he charges foolishly, dodge his blow, or deflect his blow, step aside and behind him and "kill" him. you must always have in mind that your swing might not hit.

when we have "free fight" we swing, kick and hit as hard as we can, because of speed. but we all can stop our weapon 1 cm before hit. it is very important if something goes wrong. if you aren't 100% in control of your weapon, you're not allowed to fight

@ishar
that thing with teeth... did that, perchance, happen in šibenik?