Author Topic: Fighting in real life.  (Read 9086 times)

Offline Balton

• Knight
  • Renown: 56
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • Divine Being
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Death God
  • Game nicks: GoD_Balton_the_Buff
Re: Fighting in real life.
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 03:30:26 am »
hmm come to my property...then ull get shot after :D

But wtf, who the hell are hitting each other with sticks?
In Norway we got Guns...U know..."Magic" POWDER, as u might have heard!

And then you would spend the rest of your life in jail, like that guy in Canada who shot the three dudes who burned down his house and the rest of his property.
Wherever I tread, only chaos & destruction follow.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 03:44:57 am »
Here's a map for local Dagorhir chapters. It's organized battles with padded sticks representing weapons. Its got rules as to how many hits it takes to "break" a shield (ie after 2 swings from a 2h mace you gotta drop it or something like that).

I would actually expect to hear that a few M&B players are into it.

http://www.dagorhir.com/chapters/index.htm#southwest

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 03:51:44 am »
hmm come to my property...then ull get shot after :D

But wtf, who the hell are hitting each other with sticks?
In Norway we got Guns...U know..."Magic" POWDER, as u might have heard!

Haha.. jævla trønderfaen!

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Mattressi

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mattress, Mattressi, Mattressii, Matturtle, Matthrow, Mattbalist, Superion_The_Tainted, Mattrun
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 04:00:40 am »
And then you would spend the rest of your life in jail, like that guy in Canada who shot the three dudes who burned down his house and the rest of his property.

Because Canadian law = every other countries' laws right? Over here (again, Australia) it's essentially illegal to defend yourself. Should you try it with a gun, you automatically get 10 (or maybe 15, I forget) years added to your sentence. From what I've heard of Canada, the laws are similar to Aus. However, in many other, more reasonable, countries you can defend yourself and your property (and you aren't required to walk up to the people who broke into your land and verify that they are, indeed, meaning to harm you as they open fire at or stab/beat you). I thought for sure an Alaskan would understand this.

Edit: dammit, I let myself be trolled by Balton and I partook in the derailment of this thread when I said I wouldn't :(
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 04:02:03 am by Mattressi »

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 04:17:34 am »
Edit: dammit, I let myself be trolled by Balton and I partook in the derailment of this thread when I said I wouldn't :(

Yeah, you're a jerk. Dagorhir is pretty fun stuff, even just to watch. Check out the website and make a really cool mind blowing insightful comment about it to atone  :P
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Rheinhardt

• Noble
  • Renown: 22
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 05:53:40 am »
I cannot take seriously any organization using foam weapons. Personally I do my sparring with bamboo japanese-style sparring sticks. Don't really know what they're called, but the proportions are correct for a longsword and I try to use ARMA videos or fighting manuals for references. Something about a group that does full force with steel longswords while wearing t-shirts makes me think they're professionals who know what they're talking about. After all, if they didn't they'd all be missing ears.

Offline Noble Crassius

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Long live the Han
    • View Profile
    • http://rotk.ws/
  • Faction: Han Empire
  • Game nicks: Han_Ling, SiegeSome, Fallen_Knight
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 06:10:18 am »
I cannot take seriously any organization using foam weapons. Personally I do my sparring with bamboo japanese-style sparring sticks. Don't really know what they're called, but the proportions are correct for a longsword and I try to use ARMA videos or fighting manuals for references. Something about a group that does full force with steel longswords while wearing t-shirts makes me think they're professionals who know what they're talking about. After all, if they didn't they'd all be missing ears.

Nerf has a nice selection of foam swords,axes,maces,throwing axes, ect ect I wish I were a kid again  :( All i had were crappy plastic swords that broke every week meh
On it.

Offline Rheinhardt

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 06:22:59 am »
I made a halberd with a broom handle, cardboard and duct tape. Worked pretty well when I was ten, defending my hay-bale castle.

Offline Eveneska

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 06:29:39 am »
What you want it the SCA. Society for Creative Anachronism. http://www.sca.org/ It is world wide. They use rattan (a bamboo like wood) for weapons. There is a minimal amount of armor that is required as well as a training program that you have to pass in order to fight in any tournaments.

I it as close as you can get without killing anyone or being killed. I had my shoulder knocked down to my chest when my shoulder armor failed (my fault for not stopping combat). Be safe and serious or you'll get hurt.

http://switch.sjsu.edu/v24/image/stories/SCA_arab-800.jpg

Offline Quirian

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Quirian_HRE
  • IRC nick: Quirian_HRE
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 08:15:57 am »
For a bow, search a hazel nut bush, should be pretty common in hungary (at least they are in Austria). They are pretty flexible and wont break under normal circumstances.

Looks like this:

Offline Balton

• Knight
  • Renown: 56
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • Divine Being
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Death God
  • Game nicks: GoD_Balton_the_Buff
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2011, 09:32:10 am »
Because Canadian law = every other countries' laws right? Over here (again, Australia) it's essentially illegal to defend yourself. Should you try it with a gun, you automatically get 10 (or maybe 15, I forget) years added to your sentence. From what I've heard of Canada, the laws are similar to Aus. However, in many other, more reasonable, countries you can defend yourself and your property (and you aren't required to walk up to the people who broke into your land and verify that they are, indeed, meaning to harm you as they open fire at or stab/beat you). I thought for sure an Alaskan would understand this.

Most countries actually have some law stating you can't defend yourself to full capability, or something along those lines, the US (and Alaska) are no exception to such laws.

In the US you get one hit for every hit they land on you as a means of self-defense, but even then, if you hit too hard you get sued for "using unreasonable force in self defense".
Wherever I tread, only chaos & destruction follow.

Offline Haru_Takeda

• Knight
  • Renown: 54
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
  • my glands are bigger than your glands.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnant
  • Game nicks: rottencrotchHaru, JesusHGHChrist, PowerGamingSpergLord, Palestinian_Takeda, Baby_Haru
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 09:40:44 am »
Most countries actually have some law stating you can't defend yourself to full capability, or something along those lines, the US (and Alaska) are no exception to such laws.

In the US you get one hit for every hit they land on you as a means of self-defense, but even then, if you hit too hard you get sued for "using unreasonable force in self defense".

Well thats just plain wrong.  One hit for one hit?  Anyone can file a suit in the U.S, they just need the 350 or so dollars to file the paperwork.  Most of them, do not have a case.

Self-defense allows a person to use reasonable force in his or her own defense or the defense of others.  You can use deadly force if you are in reasonable fear of serious injury or death.
These laws slightly vary state to state, but they do a very good job of protecting your rights in this case.

Offline Mattressi

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mattress, Mattressi, Mattressii, Matturtle, Matthrow, Mattbalist, Superion_The_Tainted, Mattrun
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2011, 09:41:33 am »

Wow. Take a read through this: http://legalselfdefense.blogspot.com/2008/08/alaska.html

I have no idea where you got your strange concept of the law from, but it is completely wrong. You are justified in defending yourself in a non-lethal manner in a common brawl (so long as you didn't start it) without a limit on the number of 'hits'. You are justified in the use of lethal force if you "reasonably believe the use of deadly force is necessary for self defense against death, serious physical injury, kidnapping, sexual assault in the first degree, sexual assault in the second degree, or robbery in any degree." Also you have no duty to retreat if it is on your property. That is Alaska state law.

Offline Rheinhardt

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2011, 09:59:15 am »
In my state you can shoot a guy on your porch with an AK. I think you can get into trouble if you keep shooting after they've started running away though.

Anyhow I've seen SCA fights; no thank you.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2011, 01:41:30 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Thanks for the tip, and the pictures are indeed useful to me.  :wink:
I'll go to the woods tomorrow, wish me luck.  :wink:

Edit: Good news, I found a somewhat straight stick, it's as tall as me, about 2-3 cm thick, I'll cut the bark off, make it smooth looking, and I think I've got my practice staff.  :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 03:37:15 pm by Christo »

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!